My Weekly Themed Sketch and Other Art Works

Why thank you.

Yes, inks for all. I found an ink sample ("Noodler's Rattler Red") in a drawer and used it, along with a solid black for the PNW. The acrylics used for the stylized contemporary are actually labeled Calligraphy Ink. I got them for Christmas one year.

Sharon - I adore the PNW styles; I picked up two books on it but I haven't been able to practice a whole lot. There are some regional (aka "Tribal") differences in the way the features are made. For example, the eyes can be rendered three or four different ways and the overall style changes as you go from the north to the south.

I re-started the themed challenge on one of the pen forums but we are now going monthly (sound like something here?) and picked "Sun" for August because of the eclipse. I had planned to do a Mayan-esque sun but the model I was looking at is very complex and I didn't feel I had the time to devote to it. I've been to Maine twice this month and will very probably be doing another round trip next weekend (10 hours, minimum, each way).

The theme was "Your Pet". I sketched three of them.
Inks, pen a bit of wash. I think the blue is from the scanner bed.

scan0036.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

If you take requests how about WWII nose art?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Never tried, but I will consider it.

Another two-for-one. These were attempts at Ink-Sample trees, an idea I borrowed from a fantastic artist and photographer, Pira Urosevic. The idea is to draw the tree trunk with a waterproof India or acrylic ink, then add the ink sample for the leaves. I prefer the wash I got with the second one, though the trunk is too funky. Ultimately I've decided on a polar bear (of course) wearing an inked scarf for samples.

scan0033.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr
scan0031.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

I really like that you work with inks - love the look of that wash. Me, I remain fearful of any medium I can't erase or remove with marlene. :lol:

Over the last couple of months, I took some basic drawing lessons online - 5, to be exact. I still suck. :icon_mrgreen:

I really like that you work with inks - love the look of that wash. Me, I remain fearful of any medium I can't erase or remove with marlene. :lol:

Over the last couple of months, I took some basic drawing lessons online - 5, to be exact. I still suck. :icon_mrgreen:
I want to see some of your work. When I started doing this again, after so many years, I really sucked, too. I am still far away from where I want to be.

I usually do a light sketch in pencil first, then add the inks. Here's a series (the final was posted on page 1) that shows my usual process.

"What's that?"

"Oh, it's my little helper!"

Setting up the subject

The general sketch in pencil

Start filling in with ink

Finish inking the drawing, then erase the pencil

Finished.

Last edited:
Here's one with washes, though it's not as detailed.

Pencil layout

Inked outline and some shading with black (or dark grey)

Red and yellow washes added; just watercolor, but I'm using ink instead of paint. Unfortunaely, I didn't let the black dry, first.

Last edited:
Very cool. I admire your quick sketches that still show good detail.

Ugh...When I am off my phone, I can show you a page from my class sketchbook, if you want. I don't want to hijack your thread with my cave woman scratches! :lol:

Very cool. I admire your quick sketches that still show good detail.

Ugh...When I am off my phone, I can show you a page from my class sketchbook, if you want. I don't want to hijack your thread with my cave woman scratches! :lol:
It's fine. This was intended to be a conversation (visual, as well as verbal), not a monologue.

Okay, darlin', you asked for it so you got it. Just a few. This was the class on cubes/boxes/rectangles. The point here was to follow through with the leading lines to an imaginary vanishing point (the VP along the top). Ugh.

Class 2, 4 boxes drawing.jpg

...and then, find a cubic object of any type from around the house. This is my cellarette. It's actually a beautiful antique piece. (The shading is all poor because I only used a cheap #2 pencil throughout all the classes.) I drew the leading lines to show that they were parallel and thus straight.

cellarette1.jpg

My circa 1968 Singer sewing machine:

sewing machine.jpg

And here are a few from later classes. This chair is to demonstrate that foreground will look larger or longer than background.

Sewing machine chair.jpg

These are from the class on ellipses and cylinders. I should be able to draw a better wine glass, since it's such a familiar object. :lol:

Class 4 ellipses, cylinders.jpg

Another class, on spherical objects. These three were compulsory to draw, per the instructor.

Class 5 three drawings.jpg

Then, any kind of spherical object from around the house - in this case, a little silver pitcher.

Class 5 pitcher.jpg

There are lots more, but most of it is to show practice on the above concepts - circles, lines, cubes, blah blah. The instructor dinged me for my constant outlining of objects, but that's my comfort zone. :icon_mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back