Name your top 5 favorite movies

eromallagadnama said:
It seems like so far Shawshank Redemption has been on many lists. Never heard of anyone that hasn't like it actually :roll:

Agreed. If I had to pick an all-time favorite, it would be very hard to decide between that and Forrest Gump (ok, I named my son in part after a movie (Forrest), shoot me).

Didn't Steven King write that script??

Bokeh said:
eromallagadnama said:
It seems like so far Shawshank Redemption has been on many lists. Never heard of anyone that hasn't like it actually :roll:

Agreed. If I had to pick an all-time favorite, it would be very hard to decide between that and Forrest Gump (ok, I named my son in part after a movie (Forrest), shoot me).

It was based on a Steven King short story. The Internet Movie Database ranks it as #3 of all time. http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Walt said:
It was based on a Steven King short story. The Internet Movie Database ranks it as #3 of all time. http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Wow, intersting list. It's apparently based on users voting. I was suprised to see lord of the rings as #1, I knew a lot of people liked those movies, but was suprised to see them above movies like Shawshank. I never really liked that series much, but that's just me, not into fantasy type movies. Thanks for passing that list on. I noticed Pulp Fiction was pretty high as well.

I noticed Jaws was high on the list; forgot to mention that one, it's definitely in my top ten. My favorite scene is the soliloquy Shaw gives while they're on the boat comparing wound stories. I read somewhere that he was basically drunk during that scene and did all that in one take. Amazing guy. Not a single person on earth could have fit that role more perfectly than he.

Japanese submarine slammed two topedoes into our side, Chief. Was coming back from the Island of Tinian Leyte. Just delievered the bomb, the Hiroshima bomb. Eleven Hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when your in the water Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light Chief, sharks come cruisin' so we formed ourseleves into tight groups. Kinda' like old squares in a battle. Like you see on a calender like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was, shark comes to the nearst man that man, he starts poundin' and hollerin'and screamin', sometime' the shark go away....sometimes he wouldn't go away. Some time's that shark he look's right into ya ..right into your eyes....and another thing about a shark. He's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a dolls eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites you. Then those black eyes roll over white. And then...well you hear that terrible high pitch screamin'. The ocean turns red, despite all the poundin and hollerin' ....and all come in and rip you to peices. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hunded men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I don't know how many men, they averged six an hour. On Thursady morning Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robertson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. Reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water like a kinda' top. Upended. Well he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, mister Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and saw us. A young pilot, alot younger than Mr. Hooper..anyway he saw us and he come in low, and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know, that was the time when I was most frightened, waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a life jacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water...three hundred sixteen men come out. The sharks took the rest, June 29,1945.

That definatly was a highlight of the movie.

umm...

Shock to the System
Shakes the Clown
Blade Runner
Star Wars (I like em all)
and of course LOTR tril....which BTW I saw the extended cut of ROTK over the weekend!!! It kicks ssssssoooooo much butt!!!

Walt said:
Bokeh said:
eromallagadnama said:

The book that has that short story, also has three other short storys...2 of which are also fairly well known movies now.

The book is called Different Seasons...the first story is called "Hope Springs Eternal: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", which we all know and love. The second is "Summer of Corruption: Apt Pupil" (can ya guess what movie that is?)...the third is "Fall from Innocence: The body" which was made into the movie "Stand by Me"...the movie from the 80's about the 4 boys walking down the railroad tracks to see a dead body...the one with the young River Phoenix...great movie. The last one is "A winter's Tale: The Breathing method". I don't think that one was made into a movie...I don't recognize that one.. Anyway, it's a fantastic book, and I highly reccomend it! :) (That and anything else Stephen King!)

core_17 said:
"Fall from Innocence: The body" which was made into the movie "Stand by Me"...the movie from the 80's about the 4 boys walking down the railroad tracks to see a dead body...the one with the young River Phoenix...great movie.:)

Oh man, was it ever... btw thanks for the info Core. yes Stand by me was an awesome movie... just thinking of the scenes right now. I absolutely ADORE Richard Dryfuss... one of my top favorite actors of all time.

core_17 said:
(That and anything else Stephen King!)

King is unbelievable. Not only does he have awesome horror movies (although he's made some made-for-tv sillies) but he does great drama also. And I love his cameo's!! cya

Today is the Day...the last day of waiting for Lord of the Rings.

First I had to wait for the first movie...then the DVD, the extended DVD and then the next movie...etc.

Today the extended edition of Return of the King is available.

Now I'm just waiting for Peter Jackson to make The Hobbit into a movie.

Big Mike said:

First I had to wait for the first movie...then the DVD, the extended DVD and then the next movie...etc.

I ordered the whole LOTR box set for my bf for Christmas! But here's the kicker...he asked me yesterday if I wanted that for Christmas! :shock:

I steered him away from it though...I told him if he wanted to get me a movie, to get me Kill Bill 1 and 2! :)

Bokeh said:
Does anyone know when the next harry potter movie is due?

I think I heard 2005...but I'm not sure. Should be easy to dig up.

What I want to know is....when in the next book coming out?

Big Mike said:

Yep...I watched it over the weekend and it freakin rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back