Naming your photos

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately I've had some people requesting to buy prints, and everyone is asking me why I don't name my photos, because it would make it easier when ordering instead of saying "oh the one with the dock" or whatever.I always feel like its really corny whatever name I come up with. how do you come up with names for your photos?

I find its easier to sell an image called Western Vista than DSC_6245.

Of course. Up to this point I've just been putting the town the photo was from, or a general location like "so and so lake"

I can't name for crap, so I tend to use the most obvious name I possibly can. Hence things like "Cutting through the fog," which was some windmills doing just that, and "Orion," which happens to be a picture of.... Orion. Crafty, I know.

you dont name a photo. A photo is a piece of artwork and thus deserves a title, not a name. The title can be useful for search capabilites to as sparky was referring to.

you dont name a photo. A photo is a piece of artwork and thus deserves a title, not a name. The title can be useful for search capabilites to as sparky was referring to.

Those are keywords.

You sound like my english professor in college, I didn't need a C&C of my question's wording just a legitimate answer of HOW you go about giving your photos ​titles

Of course. Up to this point I've just been putting the town the photo was from, or a general location like "so and so lake"

That's a good start. I like follow the pattern Ansel Adams used.

description, location, year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adams#Notable_photographs

Sometimes the description is a more specific part of the location. For example.
Snyder Creek, Glacier National Park 2013

I've seen a Western Vista. I know what they look like.

I've never seen a DSC_6245 and find I am intrigued and eager to find out what it is. Where should I mail the check?

:mrgreen:

I've seen a Western Vista. I know what they look like.

I've never seen a DSC_6245 and find I am intrigued and eager to find out what it is. Where should I mail the check?

:mrgreen:

A DSC_6245 looks an awful lot like DCS_6244, and isn't too far from where I took a photo of a DSC_6246.

Pfft. Checks are so.......... 1990's. I can do PayPal, or a CC over the phone. :mrgreen:

I shoot sports so I quickly rack up a lot of files.
My naming system has 3 elements: Reverse date (YYMMDD), the sport and grade/level, file number
Examples:
130621FA_046 (Taken on June 21st, 2013 / A Grade football / image number 46 .... and because there is no suffix it is an "original"/untouched file)
130718N17_021e (Taken on 18th Juky, 2013 / Under 17 Netball / image 21 and the "e" tells me it is the edited version)
130718N17_021ers (Same as above but this is a resized version of edited photo 21)
The reverse date means they will automatically sort in sequence; Date plus sport and level means all the photos of a particular team can be quickly found; the suffix (and I use more codes than shown here gives me an idea of what I have done to the image without opening it). If someone gives me a filename, I can quickly find it.
Works for me but clearly it won't suit lots of others ... especially if you are looking for a fancy descriptive name.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back