ND filter vs Polarizer

tahmail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When do you use a polarizer as opposed to a ND Filter?
Does the polarizer just take out the highlights from glare while the ND cuts the harsh bright light altogether?

a polarizer cuts glare and the ND filter reduces light.
for instance on a bright sunny day and you wish to use a very slow shutter speed for effect but can't get slow enough without blowing out the exposure, you would use an ND filter.

you basically got it right. Polarizer means that you are just cutting glare.
ND means neutral density, and you are basically putting sunglasses on your lens.

you basically got it right. Polarizer means that you are just cutting glare.
ND means neutral density, and you are basically putting sunglasses on your lens.

I was gonna say that the CPL was sunglasses for your lens. If I'm out and I have my sunglasses on, I automatically have the CPL on my lens.

The ND if I seriouslyly want to have a slower shutter speed.

ND - As stated, basically reduces the amount of light entering the lens much like sunglasses. This is generally used for purposely slowing down the shutter speed for water/cloud blur, etc.

Polarizer - Reduces indirect light (glare). This is often used for creating a clean deep blue sky and/or reducing glare on water.

You can use two polarizing filters and set them at whatever amount of "darkness" you wish, by rotating one up to 180 degrees relative to the other. Only good if you have two lenses that use the same size filters or have friend who can lend you one. Or if you don't mind paying for a variable ND filter by having two of the same polarizing filters.

ND filters are less expensive, but have less uses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back