Need for wide-angle lens?

srt86hil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own the 18-55mm lens (which I hardly ever use) that came with my Canon, and a Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3. My question is: if I want to be shooting landscape, should I purchase a wide-angle lens, or does the 18mm of my zoom suffice? What are the benefits of buying a new lens unless I wanted to go super-wide with 12mm or something like that?

Also, I'm struggling to come up with any occasion that I'll need to use my kit lens ever again. Aside from the IS, it is inferior in every way to the Tamron, so should I now view it as redundant?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

the sigma 10-20mm is supposed to be excellent!

If you plan on doing a lot of landscape work, then yes, a wide-angle is essential. How wide? That' s a fairly subjective question. I find most of my work is done around the 25-30mm range, and when I want to go wider, I tend to create panos rather than decreasing the focal length.

If you do decide to go for a different lens, read up on it, and pay particular attention to the comments on distortion, (barrell, pincusion) as these will be the factors which most dramatically impact your intended application.

With respect to the question of redundancy, I don't think any lens is ever redundant. You may not use it much, but don't disgard it. Put it on a shelf, and let it collect dust. You may need it sometime...

Most people shooting landscapes seem to be using ultra-wide lenses (the mentioned Sigma 10-20mm, or the Tokina 11-16mm are some popular 3rd party choices), but in the end I guess it all comes down to this: do YOU feel the need for a wider lens? If yes, then you should probably get one. If not, then you'll be fine shooting with your present lens. Just don't forget that the difference in the field of view between 10mm and 18mm is similar to the difference between 100mm and 180mm, not the difference between 100mm and 108 mm.

Do you need an ultrawide? probably not. Your 18mm is reasonably wide and can do alot of landscape work for you. I have the Sigma 10-20 and absolutely love it, but don't use it all that often yet -- I do most of my landscape with my Tamron 17-50, When you want an ultrawide, however, nothing is quite like it -- and it's loads of fun. It opens up all sorts of new ways of seeing:

http://www.10-20mm.com/

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: on the Sigma 10-20. I have one and love it.

The 18mm is fine for many circumstances, but I have found that with the smaller sensors that you may be wanting for a wider lens in a number of circumstances... a friend of mine go out and shoot together quite a bit and he gets really annoyed at what he can't accomplish on city skylines and whatnot, where I have no troubles at all.

BTW, this lens is also AMAZING when taking pictures of interiors of rooms and whatnot (which is the primary reason I purchased it)

Here's an example of a couple shots I took with mine... (these were both actually zoomed in a bit)

Financial District Skyline - July 2008 - 009 tpf.jpg

Back Bay Skyline - July 2008 - 013 tpf.jpg

yeap,
i borrowed a friend's sigma 10-20mm and love it!

agree with manaheim, i did some interior decor shoot and this sure makes the room much wider and spacious, but slightly skewed if taken at some other angle :)

for outdoor its great, however sometimes the distance is way too far and I would love for it to have a further focal length, but for semi-close up wide shoot, this is the bang for your bucks

can't go wrong man

I'm not arguing the wonders of the ultrawide lens. This one is with my Sigma 10-20 at 10mm and I absolutely love it. It is well built with beautiful optics.

walkway.jpg

The question, however, was do you need one. To that I can only say maybe ... it is certainly not a necessary part of a landscape photographer's arsenal, but it sure is nice!

just curious though ...

are there any lens similar to Sigma's 10-20mm that has large aperture?

just curious though ...

are there any lens similar to Sigma's 10-20mm that has large aperture?

Yes ... the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 smokes them all....

also the tokina 12-24 F4 is good as well...

thanks gonna check it out :)

are there any pluses from Sigma 10-20 that actually lift it to be more popular than tokina's though? :D

I currently own the 18-55mm lens (which I hardly ever use) that came with my Canon, and a Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3. My question is: if I want to be shooting landscape, should I purchase a wide-angle lens, or does the 18mm of my zoom suffice? What are the benefits of buying a new lens unless I wanted to go super-wide with 12mm or something like that?

Also, I'm struggling to come up with any occasion that I'll need to use my kit lens ever again. Aside from the IS, it is inferior in every way to the Tamron, so should I now view it as redundant?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

If you do purchase a wide angle lens, then I would sell the kit lens. If you don't, keep in mind that your kit lens is a better performer at 18mm than your tammy.
I think that for landscape work it is a better choice, so you should keep it.

And if someone is looking for a fast wide angle zoon, the tokina 11-16 is f 2.8. If I was a Canon or Nikon user and I was looking for a wide angle zoom, it would be my first choice!

browsing around ..

i actually cannot find any 11-16mm on sale though?
is it really need to be imported from japan only?

any idea?

Most reactions

Back