Need for wide-angle lens?

yeap,
i borrowed a friend's sigma 10-20mm and love it!

agree with manaheim, i did some interior decor shoot and this sure makes the room much wider and spacious, but slightly skewed if taken at some other angle :)

for outdoor its great, however sometimes the distance is way too far and I would love for it to have a further focal length, but for semi-close up wide shoot, this is the bang for your bucks

Perspective and barrel distortion correction are your friends. I use a tool called PTLens that does an excellent job and has profiles for existing lenses so it auto-corrects... not always perfect, but frequently damned close.

As far as if you need a super-wide angle lens... well, no. By and large nobody NEEDS anything. You need food. You need water. Once you get beyond that, it's kinda slippery slope.

You could argue the pro level... if you get paid for a certain thing and you need a tool to accomplish that task, then you could argue that you need the wide angle lens. I happen to be in that category. I take pictures of interiors and exteriors of buildings and I desperately need the widest angle lens I can get... in fact, I need a fisheye next.

(I'm going to stop bolding words now... it's really obnoxious) :lol:

Beyond that, it's kind of what kind of pictures you take. Landscapes and skylines and the like beg for wider angles, though certainly you can take multiple shots and stitch them together if you so desire. There are some pros and cons (pro: greater resolution overall, con: more complex and somewhat annoying). If, however, you always spend your time taking pictures of birds in trees, the wide angle may not be needed.

i am a beginner :)

and so far i have my kinda all-around 18-200mm for my main arsenal

yes i am really into landscape etc and there's where my future wide lens going to work :) still browsing through though .. any takers on where to get the Tokina 11-16mm? :lol:

Perspective and barrel distortion correction are your friends. I use a tool called PTLens that does an excellent job and has profiles for existing lenses so it auto-corrects... not always perfect, but frequently damned close.

As far as if you need a super-wide angle lens... well, no. By and large nobody NEEDS anything. You need food. You need water. Once you get beyond that, it's kinda slippery slope.

You could argue the pro level... if you get paid for a certain thing and you need a tool to accomplish that task, then you could argue that you need the wide angle lens. I happen to be in that category. I take pictures of interiors and exteriors of buildings and I desperately need the widest angle lens I can get... in fact, I need a fisheye next.

(I'm going to stop bolding words now... it's really obnoxious) :lol:

Beyond that, it's kind of what kind of pictures you take. Landscapes and skylines and the like beg for wider angles, though certainly you can take multiple shots and stitch them together if you so desire. There are some pros and cons (pro: greater resolution overall, con: more complex and somewhat annoying). If, however, you always spend your time taking pictures of birds in trees, the wide angle may not be needed.

i am a beginner :)

and so far i have my kinda all-around 18-200mm for my main arsenal

yes i am really into landscape etc and there's where my future wide lens going to work :) still browsing through though .. any takers on where to get the Tokina 11-16mm? :lol:

mmmmmm..... decided on the Tokina 11-16 eh??

I know a quite little place where you can get one www.adorama.com

do yourself a favour..... order one TODAY.... forget about Manaheim.... there are NEEDS and WANTS in life....

it's okay to WANT food and the like... but...

you NEED to have a wide lens... the more you think about it... the more you need it.... you are thinking about it right now.... you won't forget about it.... the longer you wait the more shots you are missing.....

The Tokina was not available when I bought my Sigma and there is a big difference between 12mm and 10 mm on a crop-sensor camera (doesn't it always work that way? the 40D came out 4 months after I bought my 30D). I would have looked at the Tokina 11 (but not sure how much more it weighs than the Sigma -- I've never been at a disadvantage not having the 2.8 yet). I did do a side-side with the Sigma and the Canon 10-22 and I liked the Sigma better.

yeap, its backordered at adorama too
its only about $100 difference so might be worth trying ..

just curious, anyone ever a/b the 11-16 and 12-24? since 12-24 almost covers what 11-16 can do? :) .. wells except the 2.8 f stop

thanks

do yourself a favour..... order one TODAY.... forget about Manaheim.... there are NEEDS and WANTS in life....

it's okay to WANT food and the like... but...

you NEED to have a wide lens... the more you think about it... the more you need it.... you are thinking about it right now.... you won't forget about it.... the longer you wait the more shots you are missing.....

Well, I was just answering the literal question... and taking it to the next step to more define need as a function of want as a facilitator of what you do or try to do.

I'm quite famous for the following conversation:
  • Me: "I'm going to get X."
  • My wife: "Do you need X?"
  • Me: "NEED? NEED? There's that word again! What is this word ... 'NEED'?! Is it even in the english language?! Are you speaking in tongues, woman?!"
In other words, I don't acknowledge need. I WANT IT. NOW! :lol:

BTW... an 18mm lens is technically a fairly wide angle. Winds up being more of a 27mm on the partial-frame cameras, but you can take some pretty effective wide shots with it. Obviously a 10-20 or so is going to be roughly 2x as wide, but for most purposes 18mm is absolutely sufficient.

just curious, anyone ever a/b the 11-16 and 12-24? since 12-24 almost covers what 11-16 can do? :) .. wells except the 2.8 f stop

thanks

I considered the 12-24, but there is a big apparent difference between 10 and 12mm.

[*]Me: "I'm going to get X."
[*]My wife: "Do you need X?"
[*]Me: "NEED? NEED? There's that word again! What is this word ... 'NEED'?! .

Sorta like, "I NEED that new pair of shoes"?

thanks

I haven't actually a/b'd the two as I only own the one. The 11-16 is supposed to be sharper corner to corner even at lower stops like F4. However, it seems typical in the lens industry that the first samples out (the ones pro reviewers use) can sometimes be better copies than the mass production one. I'm speaking generally here but... most landscapes are done on a tripod at f9 or so the extra stop most likely won't be a huge benefit. I went with 12-24 because I couldn't wait for the yet to be released 11-16, and because I wanted a more distortion free tight end then my 18-200 provides so I got the best of both worlds. I don't regret the decision.

I think the user Mav has had both lenses. He won't mind if you PM him for more information.

haha lol .. i am in much of your condition

• Me: "I'm going to get X."
  • My fiancee: "Okay, get it if you really need it. Do you really need it?"
  • Me: this is going to easy, but always left me to ponder ... do i really need it =)
yeah, the only thing about 10-20 that I felt insufficient if obviously the distance. I shoot those San Francisco skyline across the bridge that probably spans 5-7 miles away .. with such windy condition =) oh well ..

so how about the 11-16 and 12-24 for tokina users to kindly share? :D

hey ...

wow they actually very similar in price ..
10-20mm sigma for $539
and 11-16mm tokina for $569 (no stock)
but their prices stand rather close though

thanks

does the tokina weigh alot more?

sigma 16.6oz
tokina 19oz

not that much =)

besidse my 18-200 weigh 19oz so won't be too bad just that no one has it in stock, i am asking Tokina usa sales too ...

does the tokina weigh alot more?

Thanks all for the input, I don't think I can afford a new lens right now, but I will definitely consider it when it becomes more of a need! Deudeu, interesting that you think I should be using the kit lens for wide-angle landscapes, why do you think it would perform better - would it just be less distortion? Would it still be a good idea considering that most people think that the Canon kit lens is a bit shoddy (re: sharpness etc.)?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back