Need help and advice with studio lighting

Didn't come to argue, just thought a fellow photog could point me in the right direction for a start in equipment. It doesn't have to be high end, just workable.
Lots of kits out there, thought that might be a way to start, need recommendations for which one could work.
Everyone starts somewhere....you did, too.

My point was that you CANNOT do this decently for $200.00!

Adorama flashpoint 320's are $100 each (cheapest light I would recommend) You could get some speedlight cheaper... but they would be much more difficult to use, especially with little experience. Stands... $50 each.. umbrellas and adapters... decent ones... another $100... so maybe $400 minimum!

But you still have to know how to use them!

$100 umbrella? **** that; I paid a little over that for a 22" beauty dish.

How about a 320m, stand and softbox for $160? That's a lot less than $400 for one light, stand, and umbrella.
Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB2

That would be $100 for two umbrellas and two adapters (if needed) although admittedly with the monos, the adapters would not be needed. Can you get cheaper... yes... are they worth it, NO! I qwas pricing for two of everything.. if it wasn't obvious....

Last edited:
Do you even know how to use flash?

The cheap stuff like Cowboy Studio is a total waste of time.. as is continuous lighting of any sort (unless you spend some real money on it)

Continuous lighting is fine, and cheaper for this application. She's shooting stationary apparel, not portraiture. If she were shooting models that moved around even slightly, it would be an issue. But with a tripod and continuous lights, they should turn out just fine.

I always, always, always suggest people stay away from Continuous lights when shooting people, but if the subject doesn't move, who cares?

I agree.. but why waste money on something with such limited application? For a little more, you can get gear that will do whatever you need to do.....

eek.gif

$200 lighting budget?

2 decent light stands and modifiers will cost more than that. Not to mention triggers and maybe a few lights
iconhammer.gif

Can she rent equipment for $200?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
eek.gif

$200 lighting budget?

2 decent light stands and modifiers will cost more than that. Not to mention triggers and maybe a few lights
iconhammer.gif

Can she rent equipment for $200?

Wouldn't you think for the length of her job rent/shipping would far exceed $200 for any decent equipment at all?

Marie, listen to Helen and go with reflectors, gobos and some clamplights.

Darrel was right too, at home depot you can get a 10 foot length of 3/4 inch electrical conduit (metal) for about $4 which is plenty long and sturdy enough to hang a background off of and sheets, drapes and the like will do just fine for a background. You don't need expensive light stands to hold up a background either, chances are that you could pick up a pair of 9' cheapies at your local supplier for $60 if you ask nicely.

The reason I chimed in on this, since what I've mentioned has been said before, is that learning on the job is just bad business and jumping off into strobe lighting would be just that. With continuous lighting you'd be using light in a way that you already know and are far more likely to do a good job of it.

Do pick up a strobe or twelve, they are wonderful pieces of equipment but learn to use them on your own time.

Mike_E said:
Marie, listen to Helen and go with reflectors, gobos and some clamplights.

Darrel was right too, at home depot you can get a 10 foot length of 3/4 inch electrical conduit (metal) for about $4 which is plenty long and sturdy enough to hang a background off of and sheets, drapes and the like will do just fine for a background. You don't need expensive light stands to hold up a background either, chances are that you could pick up a pair of 9' cheapies at your local supplier for $60 if you ask nicely.

The reason I chimed in on this, since what I've mentioned has been said before, is that learning on the job is just bad business and jumping off into strobe lighting would be just that. With continuous lighting you'd be using light in a way that you already know and are far more likely to do a good job of it.

Do pick up a strobe or twelve, they are wonderful pieces of equipment but learn to use them on your own time.

And get a tripod. Use a longer exposure. Handheld with continuous lighting might be hard without cranking up the ISO.

My point was that you CANNOT do this decently for $200.00!

Adorama flashpoint 320's are $100 each (cheapest light I would recommend) You could get some speedlight cheaper... but they would be much more difficult to use, especially with little experience. Stands... $50 each.. umbrellas and adapters... decent ones... another $100... so maybe $400 minimum!

But you still have to know how to use them!

How about a 320m, stand and softbox for $160? That's a lot less than $400 for one light, stand, and umbrella.

That would be $100 for two umbrellas and two adapters (if needed) although admittedly with the monos, the adapters would not be needed. Can you get cheaper... yes... are they worth it, NO! I qwas pricing for two of everything.. if it wasn't obvious....

And why not? If they're in a studio where they're not constantly being setup and tore down, the chance of them breaking is slim to none. There are a lot of resources about DIY lighting and doing it on the cheap. Just because this person doesn't have $2,500 to spend on two lights and a pack doesn't mean that there's not any other option out there for them.

And why not? If they're in a studio where they're not constantly being setup and tore down, the chance of them breaking is slim to none. There are a lot of resources about DIY lighting and doing it on the cheap. Just because this person doesn't have $2,500 to spend on two lights and a pack doesn't mean that there's not any other option out there for them.

She is the one wanting to be a professional! To me.. that implies professional equipment... not DIY hack jobs!

A very interesting thread...so far...seems like there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, eh? Natural light...inexpensive studioflash units...inexpensive continuous lighting equipment...Home Depot...WalMart...B&H...Adorama...jeeze...

Desk lamps, flood lights, shop lights, Vivitar 285's, old used cheap Speedotron Brown Line flash units, bed sheets, tracing paper, window screens, A-clamps, drinking straw grids, aluminum foil snoots, modeling clay, gaffer's tape,fishing line,paper clips,Super Glue,hot glue,cellophane tape, thread, pipe cleaners, bread ties, Velcro, pieces of white cardboard,tinfoil,juice bags,bubble wrap, bath curtains,styrofoam ice chests...

Most reactions

Back