Need help deciding on my first camera

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've finally decided to actually spend the money, and get myself fully involved in the world of photography. I looked around at all the good, name brand models and I've narrowed it down to two cameras but I could use a little help deciding between them.

The Sony a550
and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit

They're pretty similar, but I'm looking for a second opinion from some actual photographers on whether or not the little differences between the two are going to make one of them better.

*I don't care about the video capability that the Canon has, I'm really just focussed on imaging capabilities.

From what I understand, there's nothing wrong with Sony cameras. I haven't heard much bad from them, but for me personally, I'm weary buying a camera from a company that is a bit late to the game. In addition, I've had a couple Sony P&S's that I wasn't too happy with. However, I'm sure the Sony shooters here can give you a better review on the camera than me.

Having said that, you can't really go wrong going with a Canon (or Nikon) for that matter. The T2i is arguably the best entry level dSLR out there today, and it is fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S mount lenses, and all the accessories.

In the end, however, my biggest recommendation is to go to a store that is selling both cameras and hold and feel them both. Which feels better in your hands? A camera you're comfortable shooting is very important as I doubt you'll see much difference between those two cameras in any other aspect.

Yeah, I did put a good bit of trust in Canon and Nikon while searching. I know they're both on top in the pro. camera industry.

I've went to see the a550, just yesterday, I'm off to see the Canon sometime this week. Maybe today even.

Their minor ups & downs in comparison make it so hard to evaluate on paper that I probably will just decide based on feel at this point lol. Unless I can be shown a particular advantage to having one over the other.

Don't forget to consider lenses and such. When you pick a body, you're picking a group of lenses, too. Someone commented in another thread about not having a lot of stores that carry Sony accessories and lenses. I, for one, like to be able to try a lens (if the store is willing, which my local shop is) on my camera and see how it feels before I buy it.

Don't forget to consider lenses and such. When you pick a body, you're picking a group of lenses, too. Someone commented in another thread about not having a lot of stores that carry Sony accessories and lenses. I, for one, like to be able to try a lens (if the store is willing, which my local shop is) on my camera and see how it feels before I buy it.

Yeah Sony has a good range of lenses, nothing to discourage one from their line of cameras, of course Canon has the motherload but I don't see myself buying any twelve thousand dollar super telephoto 'I can see Pluto!' kind of lenses anytime soon. Something to think about though, I am leaning a little toward Canon just for that reason.

Other than expensive high end brands, in my opinion there are only three manufacturers to consider: Canon, Nikon, Pentax - in that order.

But I'm an old school (literally OLD school - early 80's high school/college black & white darkroom thing) with a 20-year layoff (marriage got in the way), now back at it and LOVE the digital age! But those three are still ingrained in my head as the only choices.

So I did get the chance to see the Canon in person tonight...

I hated it, it felt like a toy and was just awful in terms of both design & material quality.

I'm going with the Sony.

Thanks for the assistance, I guess I just needed to see the Canon to make my decision.

No, the order is Nikon, Canon & Pentax ... it really is that simple! :lol: The person at the camera store I bought my Nikon from told me that she shoots Canon because it was a full frame camera but loves Nikon's glass - see even a Canon person realizes it! :lmao:

Other than expensive high end brands, in my opinion there are only three manufacturers to consider: Canon, Nikon, Pentax - in that order.

But I'm an old school (literally OLD school - early 80's high school/college black & white darkroom thing) with a 20-year layoff (marriage got in the way), now back at it and LOVE the digital age! But those three are still ingrained in my head as the only choices.

This is a big point. You are buying into a lens range. That might not be a big deal with kit lenses, but when you start shelling out bigger $ for glass it is, as a switch of systems can cost a lot.

To chuck another camera in the mix, has you considered Pentax K-x? Probably the leading high-ISO sensor of any crop sensor camera available at the moment, even though it's entry level.

I wouldn't be so quick to leave Sony out of the equation.
I've learned quickly that members of this forum are pro Nikon and Canon.
I've handled all three cameras within this past week and I can tell you that the feel of the Sony surpasses the two competitors. It feels more robust, heavier, and better built as opposed to plastic-iky, light and cheap.
Sony lacks video and seems to be more dedicated to capturing an image rather than recording video. If recording is your bag, a dedicated camcorder would be a better choice than either the Canon or Nikon DSLR's, in my humble opinion.
Of the three, all have certain features that outshine each other.
The differences seem to be negligible, however, with each capable of delivering stunning images.
Sony's auto focus seems to be head and heels above the other two competitors, but what they lack in this area they make up in other areas, such as video.
Both Canon and Nikon offer a broader spectrum of accessories, but not quite as broad as some would have you believe, meaning, you can obtain just about whatever your needs are for the Sony as well.
Sony does offer something that neither Nikon or Canon do, and that is the ability to use Carl Ziess Lenses, which In my opinion are the best lenses you can acquire.
And this , for me, was big. Huge.
Additionally, my first digital camera was a Sony FD Mavica purchased some 9 years ago.
It's still working today.

In closing, you might understand why I completely disagree with the below statement.

Canon and Nikon have a huge line of lenses, as well as third party lenses for their mounts. Sony, not so much.

Last edited:
Go with the Canon easy. I would not even consider the Sony, they still need much work on there system.

I've handled all three cameras within this past week and I can tell you that the feel of the Sony surpasses the two competitors. It feels more robust, heavier, and better built as opposed to plastic-iky, light and cheap.

Wow, until today I had no idea my D300 was plastic-iky, light and cheap. :(

Sony's auto focus seems to be head and heels above the other two competitors

I have no direct experience or data with which to challenge this statement but the needle on my baloney meter is buried right now.

Sony does offer something that neither Nikon or Canon do, and that is the ability to use Carl Ziess Lenses, which In my opinion are the best lenses you can acquire.
And this , for me, was big. Huge.

My baloney meter responded to this statement too so I went to the Zeiss website. Guess what, they have SLR lenses for Canon and Nikon!

.....Sony's auto focus seems to be head and heels above the other two competitors.....
Could you be more specific than "seems to be", and define "head and heels above" a bit more technically?

From the Sony A550 Specs : Focus System - TTL phase detection system (9 focus points)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...&productId=8198552921665970163#specifications

From the Canon T2i specs : Type - TTL-CT-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor (9 focus points/1 cross-type)....... My note → (a phase detection system)
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu..._rebel_t2i_ef_s_18_55mm_is_kit#Specifications

From the Nikon D90 specs: Autofocus System - Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module with TTL phase detection, 11 focus points (including 1 cross-type sensor)
http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon....html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.TechSpecs

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back