Need help on buying a film SLR

Farzin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm intended to buy a film SLR;
It's a Mamiya ZM Quartz, with a Mamiya/Sekor 50 mm f/1.4 EF lens, and five other Osawa lenses.
On this camera the shutter and also aperture is controlled electronically.
The seller says they all did not unpacked for 33 years.
Is there any problem with such camera/lens which have been in stock for many years?
I've read about shutter problems on cameras that not been used for a few years (actually Minolta X300). They said it is needed to replace a capacitor.

Thank you for any suggestion.

If you can lay your hands on it before you commit to buying it, all the better. Then you can at least try it out.

The shutter speeds may be wildly inaccurate. The meter may not work. The aperture blades in the lenses may be sticky. There may be fungus in the lenses. The battery compartment may be full of corrosion. It may need new light seals.

There's far too much to list all the possible problems a camera that's been squirreled away for a third of century could suffer from. Not sure what is meant by 'replace a capacitor'.

Is there a particular reason you want to buy this specific camera?

If you can lay your hands on it before you commit to buying it, all the better. Then you can at least try it out.

The shutter speeds may be wildly inaccurate. The meter may not work. The aperture blades in the lenses may be sticky. There may be fungus in the lenses. The battery compartment may be full of corrosion. It may need new light seals.

There's far too much to list all the possible problems a camera that's been squirreled away for a third of century could suffer from. Not sure what is meant by 'replace a capacitor'.

Is there a particular reason you want to buy this specific camera?

I thought that electronically controlled shutters wont have accuracy problem ever.
About battery compartment, I don't think batteries have been loaded on camera at all.
About lenses, maybe, I don't know. The owner says he'll sell them all in unpacked condition.
In fact these are sold on an online selling/auction site. Some thing like, a native version of ebay. But after receiving them I have a 24-hour testing time to inform the site and seller about any problems which it may have.
This would be my first film-SLR camera. I have a Nikon DSLR and an old Russian rangefinder.
Not any particular reason, except that it's price is quite reasonable and somehow inexpensive. And of course this pack of camera and lenses somehow fulfill my needs and my thirst!

Or ... if it was stored appropriately, it could be pristine and as good as when it came off the assembly line.
It seems so. I can upload a picture of them...

Attachments

• imanjohn_50300-666216!3.jpg
    imanjohn_50300-666216!3.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 170
If you have only 24 hours ... use it. Firstly, check the meter against all your other cameras. Then load identical film and shoot a test roll against your other film cameras just to make sure all is fine.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

If you have only 24 hours ... use it. Firstly, check the meter against all your other cameras. Then load identical film and shoot a test roll against your other film cameras just to make sure all is fine.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary
Thank you Gary. Sure, I'll do so after buying it.

Is there any problem with such camera/lens which have been in stock for many years?

Yes, film cameras stored for long periods can develop problems even though they were not used over that time. Batteries left in the camera can leak and corrode, parts made of soft material like foam or rubber can deteriorate, lubricants can dry out, lenses and other optical parts can develop haze or fungus, some electronic parts can also deteriorate and stop working and other problems.

The camera could also have been broken 33 years ago before it was put into storage!

Yes, film cameras stored for long periods can develop problems even though they were not used over that time. Batteries left in the camera can leak and corrode, parts made of soft material like foam or rubber can deteriorate, lubricants can dry out, lenses and other optical parts can develop haze or fungus, some electronic parts can also deteriorate and stop working and other problems.

The camera could also have been broken 33 years ago before it was put into storage!

Thanks for mentioning. You're right. There is such possibilities. but, if I noticed any of these, I have the right to return them.

The lenses in clean, pretty good-conditioon boxes is a very good sign. Talk about NOS, or New Old Stock! If the price is low to moderate, I would take a chance on this outfit, I would.

I am curious, what you gonna get. 33 years and no use, chances are capacitors are dry like a bone. But maybe not. Test it well before doling out any money.

I would take the chance. Pick up the battery and some film, download the manual Mamiya ZM Quartz instruction manual user manual and find a one hour film processing lab. Then you are ready to test the equipment. Oh, and have fun!

Phil
Thank you; I've already downloaded the manual.
About processing, I was thinking of that. Before this I always processed the films myself, all B&W. For accelerating the procedure I need to get a color film, because I don't know any lab that process B&W films here.

I am curious, what you gonna get. 33 years and no use, chances are capacitors are dry like a bone. But maybe not. Test it well before doling out any money.

Unfortunately I don't have access to them before paying the money, though I can test them after receiving them. But I think if camera was never loaded with batteries, the capacitors should not be charged at all, so there is a chance.

There is always a chance. Incidentally capacitors have more chances for long life, when periodically used. If not they just simply are drying up, no matter what. Nevertheless, if the price is good and below your "maximum level of risk" ( you will still sleep if you lose it) it's your choice. I can only wish you bonne chance and wish for the best. :smile-new:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back