Need help with file sharing-IM would be awesome!

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help getting my home network working properly if anyone is interested in helping. It would be greatly appreciated.. Specifically, I cannot get my computers to see each other.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G modded with DD-WRT firmware for P2P file sharing.. I have file sharing enabled both on my laptop, which connects to the router wirelessly most of the time and file sharing is also enabled on my desktop, which is connected directly to the router..

I would like to be able to load my pictures off of my external HDD on my desktop with my laptop and manipulate them in the kitchen wirelessly. What I'm having to do now is put them on a second external from the desktop and connect that little external to the laptop in the kitchen, do what I want to do and then re-load them onto the desktop.. I'd rather just be able to manipulate them in place..

if anyone can help, please IM me with Yahoo (Winchentuckian) or MSN (Kyle Bradley).

Any help would be appreciated.. I'm thinking it's a problem with the router settings, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Get a mac and it'll all be easy :) No fussing with network setup, just turn on the comps and they'll show up on each other.

P.S. I'm too lazy to give you tech help right now :p

Get a mac and it'll all be easy :) No fussing with network setup, just turn on the comps and they'll show up on each other.

P.S. I'm too lazy to give you tech help right now :p

Well, I'll say that I had a Mac PowerBook and it sucked.. Everything it did was an emulation of a Windows based PC.. I traded it for the laptop that I currently have, which is awesome....

I really don't understand having to emulate a Windows PC to be successful... I just don't...

File and print sharing enabled? (user beware).. Common workgroup setup? Picture folder given shared folder status?

I hate networking, but have had to wrangle a few systems.

-Shea

not sure why you say mac emulates winblows... they are nothing alike

and if mac sucks, why is it that i press one button and I am networked with my other macs on my network.. not only do I see the files, but I can even see the screen if i want...

good luck getting your winblows to do that easily

i have that same router...should be as simple as right-clicking a folder, and making it shared as Ls3D said...

Just run VM Fusion and you can have it all...

3240870006_fb003326cd_o.png

lol I just realized i have the same router too :p

everything works just fine on mac. no fuss :)

What do you mean?

What I meant was that when i go to the store, there's about 1 square foot of Mac software to choose from and 3.99 walls filled with PC stuff.. So you run a Windows emulator and just buy Windows stuff if you want to do anything. I know that used to be the case, but Apple has probably just gotten smart and built that functionality into the OS so you can just buy Windows programs and run them, since nothing is available for the Mac..

Look, I know the Mac is made better-the Macbook I had was made very well, with a metal case, and the keys were silver, which was pretty cool, but the mouse was just gay with the silly little scroll ball and the way you would push the entire mouse down to click, instead of having two buttons.. My whole problem with the Mac was the unavailability of programs. I hear the Mac is better than a PC because it has a dedicated processor for everything, and so it probably is.. I just think they're rather eccentric, and I don't have the patience to learn a second OS. Nothing was familiar on the MAC-it was as if they just try to see how eccentric they can be and unlike Windows, from the single clicking to launch things to the "widgets." Plus, whenever I would download something like Quicktime, for instance, I couldn't just double-click on it to launch and install it.. I never did figure out how to install that damn Quicktime.. I got rid of the laptop with Quicktime downloaded somewhere on it and not installed..

Now, about this networking problem, I have created a work group called Bradley, to which both computers belong.. They still can't see each other.

Last edited:
Just run VM Fusion and you can have it all...

3240870006_fb003326cd_o.png

You're running Linux Ubuntu? How do you like it? I have it, but I couldn't find drivers for my laptop's hardware..

not sure why you say mac emulates winblows... they are nothing alike

Not sure, are you? How about VM Fusion's description-
Get the Best of Both Mac and PC Worlds

Seamlessly run your favorite Windows applications and devices, on any Intel-based Mac. Built from the ground up for the Mac, VMware Fusion is the easiest way to switch to Mac—letting you bring all of your Windows applications with you, making the most of your Windows software investment, while providing the perfect safety blanket for the switch."

Yeah, Mac's are great as long as you can run Windows programs on it, since nothing is available for the MAC.. I'd like American cars, too, as long as I could have a Subaru engine in it..

Look, this is like discussing religion or politics-you're not going to sway anyone and just end up with catty back and fourth.. I conceeded that Mac's are made better, and I'd probably have one if they were better supported, but they're not.. Any answers on this damn networking problem..?

What I meant was that when i go to the store, there's about 1 square foot of Mac software to choose from and 3.99 walls filled with PC stuff.. So you run a Windows emulator and just buy Windows stuff if you want to do anything. I know that used to be the case, but Apple has probably just gotten smart and built that functionality into the OS so you can just buy Windows programs and run them, since nothing is available for the Mac..

Look, I know the Mac is made better-the Macbook I had was made very well, with a metal case, and the keys were silver, which was pretty cool, but the mouse was just gay with the silly little scroll ball and the way you would push the entire mouse down to click, instead of having two buttons.. My whole problem with the Mac was the unavailability of programs. I hear the Mac is better than a PC because it has a dedicated processor for everything, and so it probably is.. I just think they're rather eccentric, and I don't have the patience to learn a second OS. Nothing was familiar on the MAC-it was as if they just try to see how eccentric they can be and unlike Windows, from the single clicking to launch things to the "widgets." Plus, whenever I would download something like Quicktime, for instance, I couldn't just double-click on it to launch and install it.. I never did figure out how to install that damn Quicktime.. I got rid of the laptop with Quicktime downloaded somewhere on it and not installed..

Now, about this networking problem, I have created a work group called Bradley, to which both computers belong.. They still can't see each other.

I agree that the might mice do suck. However, I have NEVER suffered a shortage of mac software. Most major programs work on both, and Mac also has its own community of tens of thousands on nifty little apps that are mac only. What program did you need to have that mac couldn't do?

sorry, but the reason why i didnt understand what you meant, is because i DONT run winblows on my macs.. I never will, and have never had to.. any software that I need, is available in a Mac format.. i think its foolish to run windows on a mac, and completely voids the reason to get a mac...

i feel bad for you that you dont understand mac or its purposes... enjoy your winblows machine, and good luck with your networking issues.. i cant help you with it, because I dont know much about winblows anymore (using mac for 7 years now)

You're running Linux Ubuntu? How do you like it? I have it, but I couldn't find drivers for my laptop's hardware..

I'm messing with Ubuntu at the moment, I have a bootable thumb drive and I'm trying it on various desktops and laptops. I haven't go too far into the drivers yet, I haven't tried installing webcams etc. yet but so far I like it enough that I am going to install it full time on one of my desktops to give it a full trial.

Ubuntu actually runs very well on my MB. I usually don't run it very often because osX does everything I need, but it is there if I want to play. I installed Win 7 Beta build 7000 last night...just need some time to play with it. While everything I own is Apple, Win 7 looks very nice for those "stuck" with vista. Competition is always good.

Most reactions

Back