need help with lighting

Cindy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to set up a small portrait studio in my home. I attened a lighting seminar a few weeks ago but the lights they used are not in my budget. I ahve a canon digital slr and want to use strobes with modeling lights. I would prefer monolights. Any help with brands and where to look would really help.

Well, not knowing your budget I would suggest starting with something like an Interfit set Interfit Lighting set For a small studio you don't need as much power. I've always gone by the philosophy that you should buy the best that you can afford, but it doesn't need to be top of the line. Part of starting a studio is that you build clients and revenue slowly over time and gradually can upgrade your equipment as you go along. Photography can be an expensive hobby or business, but it doesn't have to be. For a studio all you really need is a light and a reflector and a background. When I first started I did most of my shoots outside utilizing natural light whenever possible. Best of luck to you and be sure to share your results.

There are some inexpensive lighting kits on ebay as well. I bought one just to learn with and have been very happy with it. Paid $299 for 3 lights (two with softboxes and one with an umbrella) along with various accessories. For a small, inexpensive setup, I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the quick reply I have been looking at the interfit lights and also the JTL light kit tl480 at owens.

do you know anything about those Britek lights I saw those on e-bay what do you think??

I have heard a lot of people say good things about Alien Bee lights.

I have a britek bb-50 package - went for about 250. I like it. I like the built-in light sensor that automatically sets it off when my flash pops. works for daisy-chaining all your flashes.

britek1.JPG

Most reactions

Back