NEED HELP!?!?!?!?!?!

definitive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright, So I finally sold my XT to get a 40D. I have done weeks of research, but for some reason I thought that the 40D was full frame. I now know its not. It actually is very similar to the Xt and especially the XSI.

I ordered the 40D but it hasent shipped yet. I dont know what to do. Why would I get the 40D over the XSI other than the body being stronger??? They both have live view both have 9point AF. The XSI is much lighter as well.

The XSI is $150 less than the 40d. Guys, please help. I have to decide tonight what I am doing.

Either help confirm I am making a good decision, or convince me to change my order to the XSI.

Please help me,
D

Based on the side by side comparison at dpreview.com (and keeping in mind I shoot Nikon so have no hands on experience with either) I would go with the Xsi

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...e&cameras=canon_eos40d,canon_eos450d&show=all

The 40D has the edge in some things (higher iso, faster shutter, faster continuous shooting mode) but the Xsi is cheaper and has a higher MP (not that MP matters much in the 10-12 range in my opinion).

Do you shoot a lot of fast action stuff? Racing, sports etc? From what I can see that is where the 40D would have the advantage.

Hey coming from the exact problem you have (XSI or 40D) except I came from a Nikon D50. I chose the 40D because it fit me... it's truly up to you (I know you probably hate that comment on hear). Like the other person stated, the XSI has 2MP more, it really didn't matter to me, I'm not shooting 50x50's so there's no noticeable difference.

I didn't like the small size of the XSI, it felt like a toy compared to the 40D. Once you put a larger lens on that, it's not very stable (nose heavy). I believe the XSI is 1.0 pounds and the 40D is 1.7. I liked the size as well, it's a little bigger forming my hand better. The wheel on the back is a plus.

The fps is what truly swayed me, I'm more interested into action sports photography. Soccer, lax, snowboarding, etc... so it's an enormous reason for the $150 alone. As well the ruggedness and partial waterproofing in certain areas, although I have yet to have any need for it to be tested, it's my baby :hugs:. It can withhold a pretty substantial beating and stay intact, although i'm not sure about the internal mechanisms compared to the plastic XSI.

In my opinion, if you're into sports and need the fps and durability from being out in the field, it's obvious that the 40D is right for you. If you're not into sports stuff and more into portraits or anything else, grab the XSI, if the let you switch.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new DSLR!!!

It sounds like the 40D is the better decision all around. i am hoping it will fit in the sling bag I just got the the xt... the FPS is huge for me because I have a baby boy, and want to make sure i capture the best shots possible.

I think I made the right decision. Although I dont know how my wife will feel about the size and weight.

D

You'll be real impressed with the 40D. The lower MP rating won't bother you, and IMO it's worth it for the feel. It just feels better, and is thus more fun to shoot with :)

i am new and know sh-t about being a real photog but I have the xsi and it really is impressive-to be honest what took away from what I read is that the xsi takes a better picture or has the ability to take a better picture in optimal settings side by side but the 40 has a better feel and higher speed, iso, controls, etc...though the 3,5 seems exceptionally fast for the rating as I had a nikon at 3 before this and there is NO comparison...anyhow it is true about the lense. i bought a 70-200 f4l is and it does not feel all too great. the larger body would defintely level it out and being such an amatuer and never experiencing this type of thing I now understand why the more expensive cameras are larger and have a "feel" to them,

The 40D would be a better sports camera as it has a higher ISO, its also less noisy in the same ISOs I believe.. (bigger pixels). It also auto focuses faster. Faster shutter (1/8000) which matters to me sometimes when using a big aperture (ex: f/1.4 on a bright day)... faster FPS (continuous shooting) for me is also good...for sports...Also has a better battery (slightly better)

IQ is going to be practically identical in both cameras. Both have DIGIC III processors. The 40D is more of a "professional" camera and has greater control. You can adjust ISO in 1/3 stop increments, 6.5 FPS, top side LCD which and controls which allow you to change certain settings without having to go into the camera's menu function, a scroll wheel that provides easy control over the camer, the ability to change the aperture with the scroll wheel rather than having to press a designated aperture button, then adjust with the shutter speed control, much sturdier body, faster AF motor, and other improvements.

The Nikon user who said that the XSI is a better camera because of the chart he saw definitely doesn't know what he's talking about. Even I'm not so ignorant as to say the D60 is a better camera than the D80. And most people I know that own the XXD series camera shoot with the manual modes and usually RAW.

The Nikon user who said that the XSI is a better camera because of the chart he saw definitely doesn't know what he's talking about. Even I'm not so ignorant as to say the D60 is a better camera than the D80. And most people I know that own the XXD series camera shoot with the manual modes and usually RAW.

Based on the criteria presented I made a choice, and offered a reason behind it.

When I made MY choice, I used those exact charts to narrow it down from 9 choices to 2. I did not make my final decision until I went to the store and handled both units (Nikon D70s and a Canon). Once I had both in hand the choice was easy. The main purpose of my post was to provide some useful tools to someone who was debating between 2 models.

Let me highlight some key points for you:

Based on the side by side comparison at dpreview.com (and keeping in mind I shoot Nikon so have no hands on experience with either) I would go with the Xsi

The 40D has the edge in some things (higher iso, faster shutter, faster continuous shooting mode) but the Xsi is cheaper and has a higher MP (not that MP matters much in the 10-12 range in my opinion).

Do you shoot a lot of fast action stuff? Racing, sports etc? From what I can see that is where the 40D would have the advantage.

Try to put advice in context next time, before trotting out words like "ignorant". Did you see me at any point say the Xsi was a "better" camera? I sure don't see it. I said that based on the specs (and NO hands on experience) that for the cost difference MY preference would be to save the money. I THEN went on to ask the OP if THEY would have need of the higher speeds.

a scroll wheel that provides easy control over the camer, the ability to change the aperture with the scroll wheel rather than having to press a designated aperture button, then adjust with the shutter speed control

I have the XTi and I have that wheel, i use it also to change aperture/shutter

By stating that you would go with the XSI is stating it's better. I mean, unless you're in the practice of going with the lesser of two items.

dweller said:
Based on the side by side comparison at dpreview.com I would go with the Xsi

dweller said:
From what I can see that is where the 40D would have the advantage.

And the 40D has better features and more advantages than just having a faster firing rate. If you would have read my post or if you would have known anything about the two cameras, you would have seen many of the differences.

It's not good to recommend products when you don't know anything about them. After all, I don't go around telling people that the d60 is a better camera than the d80 because it's cheaper and has more MP. But then again I don't know too much about the Nikon line up and only tell people that the older cameras have an advantage by not having a true max sync when compared to the mostly CMOS sensor'ed cameras.

I have the XTi and I have that wheel, i use it also to change aperture/shutter

No you don't.

The XTI has arrow keys. It also has a button that's labeled something like "a/v" that you press and scroll the shutter speed wheel while pressed to change the aperture. It functions just like the 300D, the XT, and most likely the XSI. I have a 300D and 400D sitting in my basement.

By stating that you would go with the XSI is stating it's better. I mean, unless you're in the practice of going with the lesser of two items.

A Lamborghini is better than a Lexus too, but if someone told me they need a car to get to work, guess which one "I would go with"?

At no point did I say one camera was "better" than another, so please stop trying to put words into my mouth. You made the claim that I said one was "better" than the other and then called me ignorant for having an opinon. I said (yet again) that based on the criteria and information available, that MY (there is that pesky word again) choice would be the Xsi.

Here is your post again, in case you need a refresher on what you said:

The Nikon user who said that the XSI is a better camera because of the chart he saw definitely doesn't know what he's talking about.

There is someone here who doesn't know what he is talking about, I will grant you that. You keep trying to imply that I said the Xsi is a "better" camera when what I said was that it would be MY CHOICE given the criteria.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back