Need to learn ocf

jamesparker1250

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like you're guys advice .I want to learn off camera flash but I am on a budget I got a Nikon D3200 what would be a good set up ?

I like to spend maybe $250 for a speed lite, trigger.Umbrella, stand

A pair of YN622N is about $80, a Yongnuo YN-560 II manual flash is about $60, the rest for light stand and umbrellas. :)

You'll have a lot of fun learning. Checkout strobist.com if you want to do some reading.

I'll go with James on those suggestions. If you want to go even cheaper try the Neewer speedlights, $35 on Amazon, manual but really good quality. And make sure your umbrella has a black, removable, outer cover. You get a better reflected light than with the plain white ones.

.... make sure your umbrella has a black, removable, outer cover. You get a better reflected light than with the plain white ones.
Just a point of order, if the umbrella is white only, it's likely a shoot-through umbrella and NOT a reflecting umbrella. Check out the Strobist Blog's "Lighting 101" for all you could ever want to know on the topic.

.... make sure your umbrella has a black, removable, outer cover. You get a better reflected light than with the plain white ones.
Just a point of order, if the umbrella is white only, it's likely a shoot-through umbrella and NOT a reflecting umbrella. Check out the Strobist Blog's "Lighting 101" for all you could ever want to know on the topic.
Exactly why I mention it. I made the mistake of buying a cheap plain white one when I started.

A pair of YN622N is about $80, a Yongnuo YN-560 II manual flash is about $60, the rest for light stand and umbrellas. :)

You'll have a lot of fun learning. Checkout strobist.com if you want to do some reading.

If you're going to buy YN560s might as well get YN560iii's and then a YN560TX controller--No need for the YN622s. But you're stuck with only using those flashes--the YN622 can control any.

for roughly $150 you can get two YN560iii and the TX and have control of the two flashes from the camera body.

now what's wrong with shoot through umbrellas?

Last edited:
I made the mistake of buying a cheap plain white one when I started.

They'll still work. They do a pretty good job of diffusing, it's just that you'll get some light spill.

Exactly why I mention it. I made the mistake of buying a cheap plain white one when I started.
:icon_scratch: Okay....

Reflective umbrellas are more directional vs shoot through. They're different type of diffusers for different purposes. You just need to know which to use for what situation to get what you want out of it.:D

I didn't say there was anything wrong with a shoot through umbrella. But if you have one with a black outer skin you can use it both ways without the light spill.

Agree with all of the above... spend a few days reading the strobist and his lighting 101 Strobist: Lighting 101 I have a pair of the YN560iii and they are a solid light. I already had a cheep wireless trigger (Cactus) but would probably go with the Yongnuo wireless controller if I had it to do again (like Braineack suggests). The YN560ii has wireless capability built into it (along with optical slave), so using their gear (controller) to fire the flash is less equipment to fuss with vs separate receivers at each flash.

Also, I recommend a flash capable light meter go on your short list of gear to get. Some will say they are not required with digital instant feedback, and that is true to a point, but understanding and taking control of the light is a lot easier with data when shooting manual. I got a used Sekonic L-358 for $150. May not make your fist round of purchases, but it has helped my flash photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back