Need your opinions and thoughts

Think of it like this... You have an MR2, and somehow can afford an F1 car. Both have an engine, both have a transmissions, both are RWD and Rear Engine.

You will be faster in an F1 car... But with no experience in one, you wont be able to go full speed without wrecking and killing yourself.

If you dont want to shoot in Manual 100% of the time, The D300 isnt for you.

Another comparison. MS paint Vs Photoshop CS3.
I have experience in a "simulated" F1 car :mrgreen:. Though limited experience because I do not like racing in the single seaters. I prefer the tin-tops (www.lfs.net).

So, a D300 does not have aperture or shutter priority mode? I assume that the majority who are in the photography hobby use any of the 3 main modes, aperture, shutter, and manual (majority, I do know many still only use auto or Program shift).

If a person indeed does always use shutter or aperture priority, it is a very simple step to move to full manual. The OP does state that he does not use Auto. I don't even have a dSLR and I shoot entirely in manual. It's not difficult to do. But judging by how people talk on this forum, only a select few have the brain power to accomplish such a task as shooting in manual. I've been doing this for 4 months now and have been in manual only for 2 months. Exactly where the OP stated he is. He said he bought his D40 2 months ago. That is where I started shooting strictly in manual with my camera.

I think indeed, I could pick up a D300, read the manual so I know what all the features are, and shoot with it. It's a camera, a better camera than I'm use to, but still a camera.

I think the analogy between driving an MR2 and an F1 car is completely wrong for this topic.

JerryPH said:
As far as the differences beyond ISO, aperture and speed, there is one other, and thats how the capability of the camera and the way it processes whatever is captured. Some say MP is a feature, way the picture is processed is a feature, high ISO sensitivity is a feature, FPS is a feature. I see that as improvements, or forms of evolution that permit one to take a better picture.
Yes, I agree with what you say here as well. They depict the quality of the camera, not how difficult it is to take a photo. Again, these "features" of the camera has nothing to do with the ability to expose a photograph. It is better quality equipment resulting in a better result, nothing else.

The comments that come up in this forum as a result of the attempt of someone asking a simple question just drive me crazy. Just this week, I've learned that I am not a real photographer because I do not have a dSLR, I can not possibly edit my digital photographs because I use JPEG and not RAW because my camera does not have the capability of RAW, I could not possibly use a D300 because if a guy who has been using a D40 couldn't, then I surely couldn't since I would be going from my fixed lens to the D300.

Oh, and I also could not drive an F1 car. I sure wouldn't beat Michael Shumacher (sp?), but I'm pretty sure that I could beat anyone on this forum driving an F1 car, or any car for that matter.

"I've learned that I am not a real photographer because I do not have a dSLR, I can not possibly edit my digital photographs because I use JPEG and not RAW"

Who said that?

1. That'd be a pretty big sign of someone who has no ideas what they're talking about and 2. I don't think I met anyone in this forum who would even think that.

Digital SLR is obviously great but Film is still used. I've turned Film into a digital image and edited it before. My company is a Document Imaging Company...we do it all the time.

Heh...I think my year old 30D has never seen any of the auto modes, or JPG mode since I've had it. I don't know if the pop up flash even works.

What the hell is a real photographer anyways? If you like using water colors use water colors...if you like using oil based use oil based.

There are some very talented individuals in this forum that would never say you are not a photographer if you take shots in jpg. Some people prefer manual modes but that's a preference as well as they have a more understanding of the camera. Using a DSLR vs taking a shot in Raw is not a unspoken golden rule of being initiated as a photographer. Photography is art...Its what you love to do...If you are crappy you're a crappy photographer...if you're great you're a great photographer. You can be great if you're crappy to some and crappy if you're great to others. Take this forum as information. Noone is here to make you feel like you're not good enough. I'm getting off topic and a big angry but stop taking everything everyone says out of context.

The recommendations of DSLR vs RAW are that. Recommendations and preferences.

Man!!

If I found out the Sistine chapel was painted with colored pencils I wouldn't say.

Bah that's not art

I meant my digital camera is not a dSLR. There are cameras out there that are digital, but not SLR. There are also cameras out there that are not SLR, but also have all the controls of an SLR. Most call them "point and shoot" here, boosting up the arrogance, even though I do not, nor have ever shot mine in "point and shoot" mode.

I don't remember who it was. I will have to look tonight perhaps when I get home from work.

I have seen plenty of comments like that on this forum. This forum is full of quite a lot of arrogance. Though, there is also a lot of helpful people that counterbalances the arrogance. And I thank those people for what they bring to the forum.

I've seen an entire book of pictures taken entirely with Camera Phones. They were some of the most interesting and coolest photos I've seen. Obviously the quality will be different but its about the ART. Its all about what you want to use. Be creative and you can use a disposable camera to produce stellar results!

If you're artistic with your camera than AWESOME!

I would say the D80 too, i have a D80 its a very nice camrea, its called a simi pro DSLR. Thats a good upgrade from the D40 without jumping up to a D200 or 300, also with pro bodies like the 200 and up it is harder do get good pictures, there is alot more controls and things you have to learn to get a good quitly picture out of it thats what happen to a memeber on here or i read it somewhere else ha, but once you know all those tecniques a pro body will get far better pictures then a D80 or a simi pro body. If you want to upgrade now go for a D80 or you could read alot and learn alot and then go out and buy a super nice D300 once you really know how to use it.

Are you getting the shots you want with the one you have? Thats the first thing I would ask myself. If the answer is yes then spend the money on glass upgrades. Just my 2 cents...

*sigh*

Firstly, at up to an 8x10 and under ISO 400 .... you will not see a difference in image quality between the D40 and the D300. This camera will not improve your photography ... only you can improve your photography.

What high end gear does, (as a general rule), is makes the exceptional photo easier to get.

What having a minimum of equipment does is that it forces a photog to be creative and maximize the tools he/she has to attain the exceptional image. Which, in turn is a very good learning tool.

The problem with the internet is that quite often you really don't know who is keyboarding away out there.

There are a ton of opinions here ... I recommend the OP check out the photosites of those opinions which have "peaked" his interest and see what photographic experiences and skill level are backing said opinions.

Gary

The D300 doesn't have Auto Mode in that it doesn't have those landscape, portrait etc. preset mode. However, it does have the PSAM modes. That said, it will take more expensive glass to do the D300 and it's not easy for a beginner to produce good pictures on it without spending lots of money. The manual itself is a few hundred pages long and is like a dictionary. A beginner that buys a D300 will most likely to become frustrated with photography and give it up.

Why did the OP decide to buy the D300. Did you outgrow your D40??

I was in worse position than the OP was last July, and I did not give up. At least he has a dSLR. Before my D200, I had only P&S experience.

I did, and am doing fine, but I had some frustration for the first week or so. EVERYTHING after that has been nothing but better and better pictures.

Let's give the OP a chance before singing them off as being completely useless or stupid... lol

Not difficult to set it on Av and shoot away. I did and I had next to zero idea why/how it worked. Just knew that was best way for me to control what I wanted to see in photo.

One reason that I can think of to go with D40 and not D300 is "actuations". Kind of wasteful to practice on a D300. 300K vs 100K? Those may be numbers between 30D and 1D - I forget.

BAH! I still say go with D300. By time you go through 100K or 300K actuations you will be ready for a xx00D.

All I have to say is WOW, I did not think I would get as many responses as I did. I really do appreciate every opinion every one has taken their time to write. Let me try and take this a step further and shed some more light if I can. Let me first ask, has anyone looked at the shots on my Flickr link on the original post? The reason I ask is, if you have "what are your thoughts"

Second, again I am not starving myself or my family, the Z06 in my photos is my car. Am I wealthy no, but I do earn a good living so money is not the issue here with the camera. I am by no means very good at my D40, I am working on it and learning. I am the type of person that if I do something whether at work, or hobby or whatever I like to do it well as it gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride. I love to take photos and want people to someday see my work and say WOW, this guy is good. Can I become a professional one day, I do not know, but with the hours I put in at work each week and the high level of stress I deal with, taking photos helps me relax. I would like to get good enough to at least do it part time as a hobby that will pay me some extra money.

I always have a tendency that when I purchase something instead of buying the thing that I really want, I settle for something else just in case I do not like it. Maybe that sounds weird but my wife is constantly saying, "why didn't you just buy what you really wanted in the first place" When I first decided to get back into Photography I read up on a few cameras and although all of my P&S Cameras were Cannon's - Cannon SD300, SD700 and Cannon Powershot S2, I decided to move to Nikon. I went with the D40 as that was a very highly recommended unit. I bought the Body and the 2 kit lenses that came with the instructional videos. Then I began to read more and more and see the photos that were taken with D200's, D300's and even the D3 and I was in awe. I wanted to do shots like those.

I guess most of all I am just scared, I purchased from Ritz Camera and they give you 10 days to return it, I didn't want to think I made a mistake then wait past my 10 days and either be forced to keep it or have to sell it and take a loss on it. This is the main reason I wanted to ask all of you on your opinions and see what you had to say. I know many of you said move to the D80. That was actually a thought that I had as that camera has better options for quality glass. The D40 with having to use the AF lenses makes it very limited. Although if I go to the D80 than once again I am at the same point that I will have to upgrade once again later down the road.

I don't know, I am not going to make a decision until tomorrow so keep your comments and thoughts coming and I will post again either later tonight or tomorrow after more of you have posted. Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate it. :D

Keep the camera and enjoy it with no shame!! You got some good shots on your flicker even if you suck you should keep it if its not a big deal money wise. Just learn to grow into and if not you can sell it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back