I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Normally I use a handful of Yongnuo 568EX flashes and SB700's with the Yongnuo 622n trigers.
I wanted to get an extra flash or two, just for more spares, but did not want to spend the money on more 568EX's. Saw this flash posted on the forum in a review page, and for $60 decided to give it a try. I got it in today and gave it a bit of a test run.
I was surprised.
Shocked even.
I wont go over all the specs of this flash because you can just google the hard facts easily.
I think its worth mentioning though that it does do TTL, has a GN of 58, and has the port for an external battery pack. It does not do HSS.
OK, on to the hands on stuff.
This flash really performed well. with the TTL functions it automatically tracked the focal length, ISO, and F-stop perfectly on my Nikkor and Tamron lenses. there is a 2.5 to 3 second delay between full power flashes (1/1)
It has the same feel build wise as the Yongnuo 568EX's, but I like the on/off switch better than the Yongnuos button press.
setting the power is easy, up/down for 1/3 increments, left/right for exposure compensation.

And the real surprise.....
when I tested the flash off camera with the YN622n triggers, the Neewer flash was still able to TTL!
I was not expecting that.

so....
in conclusion, for $60 shipped this is a fantastic flash.
I might order another one or two of them just for spares.
Granted, I have not done any extensive testing with these under hours of shooting, but for someone looking for a flash on a budget (especially if you want TTL), or spare OCF speedlights, I think this might be a good choice.

DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0123.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg

Update!

Flash worked well off camera with a 43" brolly for portraits along side an sb700 using yongnuo 622n radio triggers.
I use all my off camera flashes in manual, so I did not do any real TTL field work other than verifing the TTL works with the yongnuo triggers. I had no misfires.

Overall, it performed well.
I would still recommend this for anyone looking for spare flashes or something on a budget.

So, the Cole's Notes version is: This one is Neewer than your Yongnuos?

:p

Nice write-up Jason; how's the build-quality compared to YN & Nikon?

So, the Cole's Notes version is: This one is Neewer than your Yongnuos?

:p

Nice write-up Jason; how's the build-quality compared to YN & Nikon?

build quality is about the same as the yongnuo 568EX.
comes with the same wide angle diffuser, and the head tilts and turns the exact same way.
flash power from 1/1 to 1/128 and you can dial in exposure compensation 1/3 of a stop.
the neewer has about the same recycle time at full power as the yongnuo 568EX (about 2.5 seconds)
which is technically where the sb700 is, but i swear the sb700 recycles just a hair faster.
both the neewer and the yongnuo seem slightly less rugged than the sb700.
honestly, for $60 im pretty happy with it. i have the sb700 and YN568EX's for HSS, and the TTL on the neewer works great.

How off is your Assist beam?

How off is your Assist beam?

i dont find it to be off at all. it does seem to be pretty good. I actually like the pattern better than Yongnuos pattern.
honestly though, i rarely have the flash on the cameras hot shoe. I either have it on a flash bracket, and the nikon cord I use has a built in assist beam, or i have a YN622n trigger and use the triggers assist beam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back