How to Store Your Battery?

NCspotter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

About a week ago, I bought a Nikon D3300. The battery life has been pretty good (I have used the camera a good bit already) but I've had to recharge it quite a few times now. How do you guys recommend storing your batteries when you're not using your camera? Just take them out of the camera?

Thanks,
Nicholas

No need to take it out unless you don't anticipate using the camera for several months.
The main battery charges a small battery inside the camera which keeps the real time clock going. If you leave it out for extended periods you can lose your time/date settings.

I just keep mine in the camera so that the setup stays, such as date/time, etc. I don't know if that stuff though would still be there after a total power drain.

Buy 3-4 cheap as chips Chineese battteries, charge them and throw it into your camera bag. They are as good as the original one.
Sorted.

I just keep mine in the camera so that the setup stays, such as date/time, etc. I don't know if that stuff though would still be there after a total power drain.
I'm not sure how long the camera will remember the time, date, etc. With my D3300, I must remove the battery from the camera to charge it, and the time/date is always current when I put the battery back in after a charge.

Without the main battery installed the clock battery will keep the RTC going for days or even weeks rather than hours so there is no problem with leaving the battery out while charging or even overnight but I would not store the camera for any length of time without the battery installed.

you leave it out for extended periods you can lose your time
1wjfq

Yep.
Unless you're not going to be using the camera for several weeks you don't need to take the Li ion battery out.
If a camera or flash unit uses AA batteries I would take the batteries out after a week of non use.

Cheap as chips 3rd party batteries are usually not as good as the camera maker batteries.
They usually don't hold as much charge nor do they have as long a life.

If your camera is under warranty, most camera maker warranties say they won't fix problems caused by the use of parts, like batteries, flash units, lenses, the camera maker didn't make.

I only remove batteries that aren't rechargable. (i.e. in my old film cameras) My digital cameras.. I just leave them in.

I started out with a Canon Rebel XT that I shot with for 7 years, and still have for various reasons. I rotated through 2 batteries VERY casually throughout the years, paying no special attention to them whatsoever, and only bothering to charge them before a big trip or if I noticed one was nearly dead. As far as I can tell, they work as good now as they ever have. There really isn't much to worry about with modern batteries. I like to have at least two batteries though. Half that is so you have a spare, and half so that there is always a battery in the camera. And then having one in the camera is mostly because, if there is a battery in the charger, it's likely that I'll forget it. Having *a* battery is obviously better than *no* battery!

Personally, I opted to stick with Canon batteries, not wanting to risk my $1000 camera body just to save $45. Plus, I'm a little into RC trucks, and have learned that lithium based batteries can be finicky and even dangerous. I'd trust that Canon holds their batteries to a higher standard, far over a chinese clone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back