Imposter.Cow.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0453-1.jpg
DSC_0484-1.jpg

Last edited:
cute, face is a bit soft though (especially in #2), and I find the background in #1 a bit too busy

cute, face is a bit soft though (especially in #2), and I find the background in #1 a bit too busy

thanks for pointing out the softness, i thought i undid it but obviously not...cuz i didnt like it either. but, i do like my #1 background, but thanks for input, to each is own.

thanks for pointing out the softness, i thought i undid it but obviously not...cuz i didnt like it either. but, i do like my #1 background, but thanks for input, to each is own.

i've also heard that the softness may have been degraded by uploading it for viewing (that happens too).... i do like the background, nice and colorful, I think I'm just thinking a better DOF (softer background) might do it better, (you would still get the color and your nephew would stand out more) :goodvibe:

i've also heard that the softness may have been degraded by uploading it for viewing (that happens too).... i do like the background, nice and colorful, I think I'm just thinking a better DOF (softer background) might do it better, (you would still get the color and your nephew would stand out more) :goodvibe:

psh it was hard enough gettin him to sit for just those 2 pics lol, doubt ill be able to do it again!

I have to agree that the 1st pic is to busy of a background. Too many inconsistent textures and colors and that detracts from the focal point. Namely the hardness of the wooden crate and the hard lines within the quilt.

If the idea was to inject a lot of color then perhaps a ballpit or maybe even a lot of his toys slightly blurred into the background. Both would have a lot of color as well as be a more natural surrounding for a young child.

But that is my opinion, of course.

I have to agree that the 1st pic is to busy of a background. Too many inconsistent textures and colors and that detracts from the focal point. Namely the hardness of the wooden crate and the hard lines within the quilt.

If the idea was to inject a lot of color then perhaps a ballpit or maybe even a lot of his toys slightly blurred into the background. Both would have a lot of color as well as be a more natural surrounding for a young child.

But that is my opinion, of course.

Thanks, maybe when i catch him on a ....well, good day i can try that blurred toy thing behind him

So far it has been said, background is too busy la dee da, faces are a bit soft, and this could come from uploading, like said, but it could also be from him slightly moving during the frame or something to that order. Trying to get rid of softness only goes so far, and i think you did a fine job of not trying to overdo it. I have photographed literally hundreds of kids, no lie, and these are more just snapshots. He's not separated from the backgrounds enough. You really don't wanna take photos looking down on children, you want to get down to their level. I like the second better because he is more on the same plane as you but the lighting is just FLAT. Moving your light off your camera will help alot!

I think he is talking about using an external flash. Or, use a setup that scatters the light more evenly across your subject.
The light used is too harsh and directional and is seen reflecting off the wall in a very concentrated area.

yea sorry i wasn't more in depth, dinner arrived and I like to eat with my family! haha. but obviously we are pigs cause it took us what, 7 minutes to eat? anyway, thats exactly what i mean. start looking into ways to either (since i don't know what kind of equipment you are using) not use a pop up flash, or if you have a hotshoe flash bounce it off in different directions or even better get it off the camera all together to add more drama to your lighting. plus it would eliminate hot spots on the walls and on his face.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back