New Business Card, Give me your input

No no no no no never ever ever ever EVER use PS for text. It will never be a good thing. I would advise you to do all type work in Illustrator or vector program. Leave PS for backgrounds, textures and your post production.

Im sorry but this is a terribly old fashion way of thinking.
I actually was on a graphic design forum last year when i was talking about designing a logo using photoshop.... the abuse i got was unreal, they all thought i was some kind of start up noob... little did they know who i was...

Let me explain... iv been a designer for over 14 years.
Yes i was taught to only use Illustrator for logos and text.
I know ALL the do's and don'ts about graphic design.
I was taught back when photoshop 3 was around, and i have followed software ever since.

However, (this is the but where most designers are in denial) software HAS changed.
Photoshop has been able to cope with vectors since, what.. the first CS?
You can easily upscale logos to any reasonable size, true i still wouldn't recommend it for some business types, especially if a large part of your advertising is going to be of the outdoor large scale type.
But for the majority of businesses this is never going to be an issue.
I have blown up photoshop designed logos for use in exhibitions and never had a problem with it.

I was part of a professional logo company for a few years... i still design logo's today as part of my income.
Some i only use Illustrator, other i use photoshop... true i know what im doing, but seriously, saying 'never use photoshop' is a typical saying that is picked up by designers... from each other... but there really isn't much truth to it anymore.

Anyone that would use Photoshop for text, whether they have been a designer for 1 day or 40 years, knows that's not the program to use, period. There isn't a single professional designer that would suggest using PS for a LOGO.

Just because you import a vector file into PS, and that is can "cope" with vector files doesn't mean it's a free license to use text as well. You will not find anyone who will agree with it just being a "saying" or that there isn't truth to it any more, not a designer with any decent amount of education or experience. Type something in PS at say, 8 pt, then make that a billboard, or even a letter head and you tell me what looks better, a bitmap file or a vector file. I don't know what's more alarming, you saying that this has no truth to it anymore, or that you are a designer with all those years of experience practicing in that function. Next thing you're going to tell me is that it's okay to layout a magazine spread in PS too! Maybe we should just eliminate Illustrator all together then....

Software has changed, sure, but the fact is Photoshop is still a PIXEL based program...always has been, always will be. Illustrator is a VECTOR program, that my friend hasn't changed. All programs have a primary function and use. Using them correctly is step 1.

In the words of Chris Rock:
"Yeah you can drive your car with your feet, but that doesn't mean it's a GOOD idea!"

Ditto for PS.

As long as you don't rasterize the text, it will be fine.

Because Photoshop is a pixel based program, it will always display everything with pixels. Photoshop has some vector tools (text, line etc.), but they won't be processed as vector until you print.

For proof, try printing from your Photoshop file to a PDF, open the PDF, and zoom into the text... The edges will stay crisp.

Keep in mind that once you convert the text to an image (it's easy to accidentally do this), all bets are off, and the above doesn't apply.

Ok, I see what you are saying. I typed out a word and even though it looked pixelated in PS, when I saved it as a PDF and viewed it, it was crisp at all magnification. I guess it only changes it to a vector graphic after the fact.

Anyone that would use Photoshop for text, whether they have been a designer for 1 day or 40 years, knows that's not the program to use, period. There isn't a single professional designer that would suggest using PS for a LOGO.

Just because you import a vector file into PS, and that is can "cope" with vector files doesn't mean it's a free license to use text as well. You will not find anyone who will agree with it just being a "saying" or that there isn't truth to it any more, not a designer with any decent amount of education or experience. Type something in PS at say, 8 pt, then make that a billboard, or even a letter head and you tell me what looks better, a bitmap file or a vector file. I don't know what's more alarming, you saying that this has no truth to it anymore, or that you are a designer with all those years of experience practicing in that function. Next thing you're going to tell me is that it's okay to layout a magazine spread in PS too! Maybe we should just eliminate Illustrator all together then....

Software has changed, sure, but the fact is Photoshop is still a PIXEL based program...always has been, always will be. Illustrator is a VECTOR program, that my friend hasn't changed. All programs have a primary function and use. Using them correctly is step 1.

In the words of Chris Rock:
"Yeah you can drive your car with your feet, but that doesn't mean it's a GOOD idea!"

Ditto for PS.

LOL... yup thats the reaction i got from the design forum... ok then, i will just let you join the other designers that think this way.... you know why its good for me?.. Because the rest of you haven't caught on to what the business world actually needs.
Supply and demand... simple business, and designers just totally underestimate what their software is capable of.

About the Type thing... you try reading up a bit on how to optimize PDF settings... then type something out and save it with those settings.
Zoom in as much as you want... that line isn't going anywhere.

This is a simple case of not understanding how photoshop uses vectors.... period.

What amazes me is the amount of designers that really don't understand the software they are using... they just regurgitate the usual 'Illy is vector'.. 'PS is bitmap'... without actually finding out how to use the products to the best of their capabilities.

Also, think about it.. when is a Photographer going to need a logo bigger than say, an exhibition stand or a vehicle side? Just because 'Nike' can be enlarged the size of a soccer field doesn't mean its of any use to the average business.

Its ok tho... this is nothing personal on you at all, I could write about this all night but lets just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Wow... I'm still stunned. I have over 15 years using both programs and know very well the capabilities of my programs. I also know the easiest way to make things work to keep them at their native form for any edits and printing.

Don't even get me started on smart objects, that's the only time I'd use it but it's still vector.

Maybe all the designers in the world are flat out wrong and you aren't...however I doubt that.

Don't even get me started on smart objects, that's the only time I'd use it but it's still vector.

Yes they are vector, and they can be output to still retain the edge data.... kind of my point, but also not, because...

Some business, like for example a software company or film company, use bitmapped logos... you haven't seen that before?

I understand we disagree with each other, but please don't insult my intelligence by saying im the only designer to do this... you just don't understand what im getting at.

Its not even a matter of right or wrong.
I worked as a logo ONLY company for 3 years... i have had every logo request under the sun and i know exactly how to provide it.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. That's the point I'm making. PS was/is not made for logo or text work...that's common knowledge. You are already using a pompous tone that suggests you know so much more than "other designers" when you're logic is wrong and misguided. My claim is illustrator is BETTER for logo/text work and yours is to tell me I am uneducated in the tools I use. You're are way off base, I merely use them the way they were intended and designed to be used.

But again, argue all you want, however we all have our own ways of doing things.

My logic is neither wrong or misguided, but im not going to sit here all night and write about how software programmes can provide results for different logo requirements.

So hey, no hard feelings, all the best to you.

Most reactions

Back