New camera, new lens?

Trace63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody. I just got my new Canon 400D. It came with the kit lens and Ill probably be sticking with that for a month or two. I WILL be purchasing the Canon 50mm f/1.8 soon, but I just want to plan ahead with my next lens.

I don't have a "budget" per say, but I do not want to be spending a ridiculous amount of money yet. Thats going to go towards the Sigma 70-200mm I'm eyeballing for further down the road. hehe

Anyways, I just wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations. I JUST got my first dSLR so I cant exactly pinpoint what I want to shoot. I go to school and spend a lot of time in Manhattan, so Central Park and random candid street shots will probably be part of my iteniary. I just don't know if I should get a decent telephoto zoom lense or if I should split the money ($500? ish) and upgrade my kit lense and get a cheaper zoom lens on the side.

Last edited:
I would suggest you just shoot some with the lens you have until you get a feel for what you want to shoot. Once you know that you can make a more informed decision about your next lens. BTW I believe the 50mm F1.8 is less than $100. You can't go wrong with that one.

Lots of people go for the 50mm (1.4 or 1.8, as budget allows).

If you find yourself using the kit lens (18-55?) at the long end, the 50 might not be a bad idea if you want the same focal length but faster & sharper.

If you're going to keep the kit lens (no reason not to), a different focal length altogether might be better for a second lens. Maybe the 85mm f/1.8 (about $350), it's a great lens.

So Ive been bumblign around eBay and whatnot, and I found a Sigma 24-60mm lens for $200 bucks. Not sure if I should get it. Any opinions?

EDIT: As well as a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4 for $100.

As Im only starting out I think I want a real road warrior all around lense. The kit lense is nice, but I feel like I need that little bit of extra zoom in it, that both of these would give me.

Last edited:
As Im only starting out I think I want a real road warrior all around lense. The kit lense is nice, but I feel like I need that little bit of extra zoom in it, that both of these would give me.

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you, still new to the game with an XTi and a 50mm 1.8; searching for that all around lens to satisfy me until I can afford the high end Sigmas or possibly an L or two. After battling it out in my head for the past month, I've set my mind on a Sigma 18-200mm OS. Do some research on it. Check out some photos of the 18-200 in Pbase, Flickr, photosig, etc. It might be worth your while looking into.

I second getting an 18-200... Wide angle to decent telephoto zoom lens, it is the one lens that covers pretty much everything.

True, but, that 18-200 range is going to lessen quality.

I've seen some really nice photos produced by that Sigma 18-200mm OS. Sharp and colorful. You're looking for an all around lens, I don't think you can get a better all around lens for the price. Check out some tests on the Sigma 18-200 vs Canon 28-135
http://www.pbase.com/yaamon/sigma_18200mm_os

I must admit, they do look pretty good. It does cost more but I will consider it.

Any other thoughts?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back