New camera, new lens?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Trace63, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Trace63

Trace63 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everybody. I just got my new Canon 400D. It came with the kit lens and Ill probably be sticking with that for a month or two. I WILL be purchasing the Canon 50mm f/1.8 soon, but I just want to plan ahead with my next lens.

I don't have a "budget" per say, but I do not want to be spending a ridiculous amount of money yet. Thats going to go towards the Sigma 70-200mm I'm eyeballing for further down the road. hehe

Anyways, I just wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations. I JUST got my first dSLR so I cant exactly pinpoint what I want to shoot. I go to school and spend a lot of time in Manhattan, so Central Park and random candid street shots will probably be part of my iteniary. I just don't know if I should get a decent telephoto zoom lense or if I should split the money ($500? ish) and upgrade my kit lense and get a cheaper zoom lens on the side.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would suggest you just shoot some with the lens you have until you get a feel for what you want to shoot. Once you know that you can make a more informed decision about your next lens. BTW I believe the 50mm F1.8 is less than $100. You can't go wrong with that one.

3. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lots of people go for the 50mm (1.4 or 1.8, as budget allows).

If you find yourself using the kit lens (18-55?) at the long end, the 50 might not be a bad idea if you want the same focal length but faster & sharper.

If you're going to keep the kit lens (no reason not to), a different focal length altogether might be better for a second lens. Maybe the 85mm f/1.8 (about $350), it's a great lens.

4. Trace63

Trace63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So Ive been bumblign around eBay and whatnot, and I found a Sigma 24-60mm lens for $200 bucks. Not sure if I should get it. Any opinions?

EDIT: As well as a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4 for $100.

As Im only starting out I think I want a real road warrior all around lense. The kit lense is nice, but I feel like I need that little bit of extra zoom in it, that both of these would give me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty much on the same boat as you, still new to the game with an XTi and a 50mm 1.8; searching for that all around lens to satisfy me until I can afford the high end Sigmas or possibly an L or two. After battling it out in my head for the past month, I've set my mind on a Sigma 18-200mm OS. Do some research on it. Check out some photos of the 18-200 in Pbase, Flickr, photosig, etc. It might be worth your while looking into.

6. gamerz

gamerz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I second getting an 18-200... Wide angle to decent telephoto zoom lens, it is the one lens that covers pretty much everything.

7. Trace63

Trace63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True, but, that 18-200 range is going to lessen quality.

8. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've seen some really nice photos produced by that Sigma 18-200mm OS. Sharp and colorful. You're looking for an all around lens, I don't think you can get a better all around lens for the price. Check out some tests on the Sigma 18-200 vs Canon 28-135
    http://www.pbase.com/yaamon/sigma_18200mm_os

9. Trace63

Trace63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I must admit, they do look pretty good. It does cost more but I will consider it.

Any other thoughts?