new d90 and more problems?

zeppman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

If you remember (last week) I posted about having white vertical lines appear on the lcd screen during playback. I took the camera back to the store to exchange it last night, and I took the new one out today. I notice (didn't see it last night for some reason) that there are black lines (either horizontal or vertical) that come off of the AF indicators when they appear on the screen. Once the camera is done autofocusing, the AF indicators disappear and so do the the random lines. There is always a vertical one in the middle, and usually 3-4 more that shoot off from which ever other indicators light up. I did not notice this with my first d90.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there something I can do with the camera that can correct this, or am I going to be exchanging this one too?

Are the black lines as if a row of pixels are not on? I haven't heard of anything like this; sounds like you'll be doing another exhange. What terrible luck! Maybe on the next, open it in store with them there while you check it.

Ouch thats no good. I have a D90 and i have no idea what your talking about. I havnt seen such lines before.

If you can provide us the image of what you're talking about we can suggest for it... but yes I think you need to change it again because I haven't seen anything like that in my D90 unless you scroll up the big rounded circle at the center back of your camera to move it in a highlight view.
Where did you buy your D90?

Man, that's totally strange. I would be interested in hearing where you're getting the cameras from. Is it a major retain chain?

try contacting Nikon in regards.
They replaced my aperture mechanism and w/in 14days, I had my camera back.

Whoa?! That is odd my boyfriends' dad had the same problem (lines on lcd, well and on the photos now that i think about it) but he uses a Canon 50d, i have the D90 and never had any problems like this, really sucks I would def contact Nikon!

Why deal with Nikon directly if the retailer is willing to allow the exchange? Go to where you bought it (again) and let them deal with sending it back to Nikon.

I agree - take it back to the shop. Never had this issue on my D90 and pretty sure that you should test the next one still in the store or shop elsewhere.

Hey everyone,

If you remember (last week) I posted about having white vertical lines appear on the lcd screen during playback. I took the camera back to the store to exchange it last night, and I took the new one out today. I notice (didn't see it last night for some reason) that there are black lines (either horizontal or vertical) that come off of the AF indicators when they appear on the screen. Once the camera is done autofocusing, the AF indicators disappear and so do the the random lines. There is always a vertical one in the middle, and usually 3-4 more that shoot off from which ever other indicators light up. I did not notice this with my first d90.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there something I can do with the camera that can correct this, or am I going to be exchanging this one too?

Hi!

I have also noticed the black lines that radiate off of my auto focus indicators also.

If you look in your manual on page 9...I am pretty sure it refers to these lines and that they may pop up.

As far as the autofocus points disappearing...I'm not 100% sure about that one. In my camera they are black and during a partial press of the shutter button they light up red when focus is achieved. They are only red for a split second as the camera beeps. This is also the same time the black lines pop up that radiate from the AF points.

I have not seen the vertical lines in my viewfinder unless the grid is turned on.

I have always considered this normal operation. And have had no problems with my camera.

If that's not the way it is supposed to be...I'm going to have mine looked at too.

Anyone else with a D90 have any input?

Thanks!

i say go canon. that will fix the problem quickly

You may need to read the camera manual a bit more.

My D90 viewfinder has lines off the AF points too, but I chose a menu option for them to be there. They help frame an image a use the Rule of Thirds.

i say go canon. that will fix the problem quickly
I say don't be an idiot and try to start a war. Both are great brands they wouldn't be the top 2 companies if not.

What store is this? I would try and get a money refund and purchase from a reputable store such as adorama. GL

Hey everyone, sorry, I had to go out on a unplanned business trip the past few days and haven't had a chance to check the thread. I'll try and answer everyone's questions.

I bought the camera from Best Buy... maybe my first mistake, but I figured a nikon is a nikon when buying new and from a major store. Best Buy actually negotiated a bit on the price, and threw in some other junk so that is why I bought from them.

My issues sound exactly like what Unspoiled wrote. I press the shutter release half way and the AF points appear in read, along with lines coming off these points. When the everything becomes focused, the AF points and lines turn black. I'm still not sure if its normal operation because the lines do not seem to be assisting me in anyway. I will check the manual (page 9) and see what it says. I don't have the camera or manual in front of me here at the office, but will look into this when I get home tonight. Thanks everyone.

I don't have an image to provide since its in the viewfinder. These lines do not appear on the photos or on the LCD playback screen.

i dont have a d90, but i wonder if they are guidelines like someone said.
maybe to help keep horizons level, and verticals plumb?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back