New External flash (DOUBTS)

yudibakshi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys , i own a Nikon d5100 and its been one year that i have been practicing and now i m looking for a external flash.I m not going for Nikon flashes because i m liitle tight on mu budget,so i thought thir party flashes and i heard they are goor not as compared to Nikon's but still the do the job.

So now i know what brand of flash i want but there are couple of things that still confuses me.

1.Hypersync - i know i know , my camera has a sync speed of 1/200 but i have heard there are some tricks around the maximum sync speed. What i really would like to photograph is a portrait(outdoors) with shallow depth of field say f/2.8 with some flash and i m going to use it off camera flash.and i am confused if i m using it as OFF camera flash, does maximum sync speed will have a problem?? and if yes ,how do i solve it ? Do i need a HSS features on my flash ?

2.Tigger systems:- As it is my first flash so i was kindda getting a TTl flash. but i m still confused about the triggering method
I would really much appreciate it if you guys clear me on this
Thank You

Yongnuo flashes and their triggers should be a great place to start on your budget. As far as high speed sync or Auto FP. I don't think your body offers it. So either shoot at max sync speed and adjust aperture and ISO to compensate or get some neutral density filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your body you'd need hyper/super sync triggers in order to break your sync speed. HSS/Auto-FP will not work for you.

The YN622TX supports super sync for example. Basically it fires your flash before the first curtain opens, so as the first/second curtains quickly travel across the sensor, the flash has already been triggered and is illuminating the scene throughout the time it takes for the 2nd curtain to close. The flash duration is much longer than your shutter speed.

Last edited:
With your body you'd need hyper/super sync triggers in order to break your sync speed. HSS/Auto-FP will not work for you.

The YN622TX supports super sync for example. Basically it fires your flash before the first curtain opens, so as the first/second curtains quickly travel across the sensor, the flash has already been triggered and is illuminating the scene throughout the time it takes for the 2nd curtain to close. The flash duration is much longer than your shutter speed.
Not sure if it will still work. I have that set up and pocket wizard mini and flex set up. While I don't have any cameras that don't support auto fp- it says the d5100 isn't compatible with hypersync. If I recall correctly - you need a capable body that can perform high speed sync. The only difference is that the triggers are delaying when the flash will fire so that it takes full advantage of the long end of the flash burst vs the pulsing of regular auto FP. Plus you need to enable Auto FP in the body to take advantage.

Ill test it tonight and see.

Ill test it tonight and see.

One thing that makes me curious is how would you get past the sync speed if the trigger signals to the flash that there is a ttl flash on the hotshoe. Nonetheless, I'd like to see how you make out.

You may be right. I might have had my camera in AUTO-FP mode when I tried something similar using optical slaves. I'll fool around again tonight.

yeah. i was wrong, i had the camera in AUTO-FP mode to be able to move the shutter above 1/250 with the flash mounted.

with the TN622TX I can "hyper" sync all the way up to 1/4000, but I need to have the camera in auto-fp mode to be able to select those speeds.

I fooled around with all this before I got triggers and such so it's been a while.

It's things like this I wish there were firmware mods for nikons. there's no reason the low-end models can't have auto-fp with the addition of a few lines of code. all they gotta do is copy and paste.

there's no reason the low-end models can't have auto-fp with the addition of a few lines of code. all they gotta do is copy and paste.
But then there would be one less reason to upgrade to a pro-sumer model.

Or maybe they try a different approach to constantly losing money/sales.

Or maybe they try a different approach to constantly losing money/sales.

Where do get this information?

From 2009 to 2014 they (imaging products) show a steady increase in income (after expenses) going from 40 billion yen to 64 billion yen. (400 million dollars to 640 million dollars) Not exactly what I would categorize as a money loosing business unit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back