New here, looking for a camera

You're on the right track Amanda.

If you buy a digital-specific lens for the new Pentax, you can't use it on the old Pentax, or you will get vignetting. (it will cut off the corners of your picture) They are backwards compatible. Pentax had no way of knowing 30 years ago that they'd be making digital cameras with smaller sensor areas than is currently covered by 35mm.

For simple, all-around type photography, you can easily get by with two lenses. The 18-55 kit lens, and the 50-200 lens. The built in flash will serve you well, and the camera has red-eye reduction. To eliminate red-eye, you will either need an off camera flash, or to not use flash at all. The further the flash gets from the lens, the less chance you have of red-eye. Most aftermarket flashes will eliminate red-eye altogether.

What model Pentax is your parents'? Although those lenses are usable, they may not have full automatic capability. (it would need an 'A' setting on the aperture ring of the flash) ...and of course you would have to focus it manually.

Yeah, the filter kit is a rip-off. They are saying: "You are new, you don't know anything, so why not buy TWO filters? Two is better than one, right?" If you were going to get only two filters, they should be multicoated UV and circular polarizer. Warming can be done with software on digital cameras.

Oh I keep seeing *ist in camera listings, what does that mean?

*ist was the (absolutely terrible) name that Pentax gave the last 35mm SLR they made, and they used the same name for their digitals (*ist D, *ist DS, *ist DL etc) until recently as thankfully they've gone for the much more sensible K designation. The k100d and k110d are very similar to the *ist models in most ways, but the main reason the *ist name is used in online listings for the K100d etc is so that more searches will turn up that listing as a result.

Oh and Pictbridge is a feature which allows you to print from the camera without involving a computer. To be honest you will probably want to avoid doing this unless absolutely necessary.

If your interested, they have the Canon EOS Rebel DSLR XTI for under $300 or the Nokon D50, D70 for that price range. Body only. They are in the 6-8MP range. Got cheap prices on lenses too. Call them for availabilty.

If your interested, they have the Canon EOS Rebel DSLR XTI for under $300 or the Nokon D50, D70 for that price range. Body only. They are in the 6-8MP range. Got cheap prices on lenses too. Call them for availabilty.
Boy, I don't think I would order from them. They look like one of those New Jersey stores that can't decide what they want to sell, and who don't even have a store front. I bet you'd have a hell of a time getting any customer service from them...

I warn you, this is a scam. Do some research -- this guy should be banned.

They take your money, then tell you to call them. They then try to sell you more, but won't send your product unless you buy more stuff (and I'm not even sure that they do then). When you try to get a refund, they won't give you your money back.

You have been warned.

It's disgusting that people like this exist and would prey on a mom who is obviously looking for deals. Don't those jerks think about the repercussions of their actions? It makes me livid. What if she did give them her money and they screwed her over and then she didn't have enough to make ends meet one month or something, her CHILDREN would suffer. That disgusts and angers me in a way I can't even describe.

I warn you, this is a scam. Do some research -- this guy should be banned.

That was my first impression. Two posts, and one of them is plugging a retailer that no one has ever heard of.

...but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. First of all, this guy is (or claims to be) in FL, and the store is in Jersey.

Second, his other post to date seemed quite sincere:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73093

So I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he got a good deal there, so he's just recommending the place to someone else who's trying to save a buck.

If it was post after post plugging that place and nothing constructive or curious ever posted, I would wonder. But as it is, it was just a brief post by a regular guy, recommending a certain place. (the place does seem shady, I'll admit)

Amanda, I just thought of one other thing too.

I bought my Pentax at Wolf Camera a month or so ago. If you buy a digital camera over 4 or 5 MP, they give you a bunch of coupons, and some of them are for free classes.

At first, my wife was all excited and was going to go right ahead and take the class. Now, she is thinking she probably won't do it.

I'll check with her, and if she's sure she doesn't want to go to the classes, I'll just mail the vouchers and schedule to you.

Where are you located? (You might consider adding that to your profile.) Most of the seminars are in larger metropolitan areas.

It isn't a real college class, and it doesn't seem really artsy, but it may be just perfect for you.

Also, if you don't buy a camera from them, I think they sell the vouchers separately for $40-50. (enough to attend several seminars)

That was my first impression. Two posts, and one of them is plugging a retailer that no one has ever heard of.

...but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. First of all, this guy is (or claims to be) in FL, and the store is in Jersey.

Second, his other post to date seemed quite sincere:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73093

So I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he got a good deal there, so he's just recommending the place to someone else who's trying to save a buck.

If it was post after post plugging that place and nothing constructive or curious ever posted, I would wonder. But as it is, it was just a brief post by a regular guy, recommending a certain place. (the place does seem shady, I'll admit)

I guarantee he didn't get a good deal there. This place is a scam. There is no question about it.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

If he was being sincere -- as in if he isn't one of the scammers himself -- then he should really think about where he directs people.

Wow that place is a real scam! How the heck do they stay in business????

I was not even considering ordering from them anyway, thank goodness.

I will stick with BH

GREAT NEWS!!!! My husband has agreed to a 600.00 budget!!!!!! Off to do more research!

OK this is a little over budget, but I think I can swing it, what do you think?Others I should consider? Other vendors? Whatever I buy must come with the lens, if I keep the cost down I can get a camera case as well.

The Olympus with the two lens kit is a screaming deal, and top quality Zuiko optics. However, it has a small sensor (which means more noise at higher ISO settings) and no image stabilization. Because it comes with two lenses, it may be worth considering anyhow.

Here's the one I think you should get:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...218&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It would be the only one with available image stabilization without having to buy lenses that cost hundreds of dollars. Wait for it to come back in stock, or try another dealer. You might try http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PX0640K.htmlhttp://www.central-camera.com, their prices may be a bit higher than B&H, but they probably have it in stock.

Stick to your guns. Don't get something at B&H just because they have it in stock.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back