New lens or new camera?

andyandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate your input on this one.
I've only recently got into photography after my girlfriend bought a camera, the Canon 500d. But I really want to get into street photography and this huge beast obviously has its drawbacks. So what should I do? Buy a prime lens for it or just buy an entry level mirrorless camera? I think even with a smaller prime lens this 500d will be pretty big, but if I go and buy a mirrorless I'll feel she's wasted her money a bit.

Honestly, IMHO until you get to something like the Fuji X100 series, Panasonic LX100 or the Ricoh GR, you might as well just do street with your camera phone (assuming you have a fairly good, modern camera phone). Camera phones have the advantage of being much less noticeable than any sort of camera, and will more or less be equivalent in quality to most any entry level mirrorless camera.

Even with the 40mm pancake lens Canon makes, the 500D is still pretty big.

Honestly, IMHO until you get to something like the Fuji X100 series, Panasonic LX100 or the Ricoh GR, you might as well just do street with your camera phone (assuming you have a fairly good, modern camera phone). Camera phones have the advantage of being much less noticeable than any sort of camera, and will more or less be equivalent in quality to most any entry level mirrorless camera.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's kind of the answer I was hoping for and dreading at the same time :D. I can't really imagine getting many candid shots with this camera, unless I shoot from the hip.
Obviously price is an issue for me as I'm just getting into it. I was contemplating a Fuji X-M1, but I've also seen a decent 2nd hand x100 so I'll go take a look. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's kind of the answer I was hoping for and dreading at the same time :D. I can't really imagine getting many candid shots with this camera, unless I shoot from the hip.
Obviously price is an issue for me as I'm just getting into it. I was contemplating a Fuji X-M1, but I've also seen a decent 2nd hand x100 so I'll go take a look. Thanks again.

No prob, I have an X100T if you have any general questions about the X100 series.

Ummmm...a Rebel T1i is hardly a "beast" of a camera. Seriously...just get out there on the street and shoot. Take the neckstrap OFF the camera, or put a very thin aftermarket strap on, and wrap it three times around your right hand, and walk around with the camera literally strapped to your hand. When you see a shot, bring the camera up to your eye and shoot, then continue walking along. Most of the apprehension you feel is in your own head. I shot street as a kid in my 20's with a Nikon F3HP and a MD-4 attached. These days, cameras are all around and people are used to people snapping photos EVERYWHERE. Once you learn how to shoot the way I describe, with the camera held in your hand, not around your neck, the camera becomes almost invisible. Shoot from the hip? No, there's no need for that. The answer lies between your ears, not in buying some mirrorless that is 12.5% smaller in volume than a little Rebel.

Ummmm...a Rebel T1i is hardly a "beast" of a camera. Seriously...just get out there on the street and shoot. Take the neckstrap OFF the camera, or put a very thin aftermarket strap on, and wrap it three times around your right hand, and walk around with the camera literally strapped to your hand. When you see a shot, bring the camera up to your eye and shoot, then continue walking along. Most of the apprehension you feel is in your own head. I shot street as a kid in my 20's with a Nikon F3HP and a MD-4 attached. These days, cameras are all around and people are used to people snapping photos EVERYWHERE. Once you learn how to shoot the way I describe, with the camera held in your hand, not around your neck, the camera becomes almost invisible. Shoot from the hip? No, there's no need for that. The answer lies between your ears, not in buying some mirrorless that is 12.5% smaller in volume than a little Rebel.

It is with the kit lens. I don't think I could walk around with this in just my hand for a day. A smaller prime would make it easier though. And it would be cheaper than a new camera.....What to do?

I think you're not really understanding how wrapping the camera strap around your hand frees your hand from needing to actually grasp/hold/support the weight of the camera and its lens.I think you might have read what I wrote above, but you've never actually tried this proven, old-school street shooting method. I'm trying to tell you about a proven, well-known method that has been used by many,many street shooters for 75+ years now, but it's not sinking in.Perhaps I needed to explain it better. Here's what the procedure is: The camera is lashed to the hand,so to speak. The system uses a narrow, simple strap, which is wrapped two, or three times, around the right hand, and then the last little bit of strap is "tucked" in between the bottom right of the camera and the bottom inside of the right hand's palm, at the bottom of the palm/camera juncture, and thus sort of "lashed" to the right hand. The fingers and thumb have almost NO weight to support, and as an added bonus, the camera becomes **almost** invisible as you walk around with it. The camera just "hangs there", cradled in the hand, almost out of sight.

This method works best if the camera body has a grip or swell on the right hand side, s do most modern d-slrs. On an old-fashioned, slab-side aka soap-bar style body,like a Leica or Nikon FM,etc. it's actually less ergonomic, and this is why many older cameras have had some type of add-on grid or handgrip options designed for them.

This method of carry is almost entirely opposite of wearing a camera on any kind of harness, neckstrap, or shoulder strap. This is a method of working, walking, shooting, and then walking again.

I'd consider sticking with your phone to be a viable alternative for some stuff. You need more than just a new lens to get into this. If you cannot handle a polycarbonate Rebel and a small lens, then the smartphone camera might be easier for you to feel comfortable with. some actual help from somebody who shoots street would probably help you a lot.

Have you tried shooting with a partner? That might help.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. That's the lens I was looking at. I might just get it and stick with the Rebel. I'll ditch the neck strap as well and have a go at lashing it to my hand. Thanks for the advice guys. :D

I did what Derrel said (sort of). I just got one of those hand straps and slap on either a 50 or 24 prime and walk around. I use a D610 and really once you get a pretty good idea of your field of view you can get really stealthy shots by not even lifting the camera. I've taken quite a few by just sort of casualy turning my wrist and hitting the shutter button. People don't see the canera come up so they don't even think you are snapping a picture. (don't get 100% keepers this way....but it's a good way to get a shot of that hot girl without her large boyfriend noticing :allteeth:

I did what Derrel said (sort of). I just got one of those hand straps and slap on either a 50 or 24 prime and walk around. I use a D610 and really once you get a pretty good idea of your field of view you can get really stealthy shots by not even lifting the camera. I've taken quite a few by just sort of casualy turning my wrist and hitting the shutter button. People don't see the canera come up so they don't even think you are snapping a picture. (don't get 100% keepers this way....but it's a good way to get a shot of that hot girl without her large boyfriend noticing :allteeth:
Lol....ok.

Feel free to add your two cents

..this huge beast obviously has its drawbacks.
You're being overly sensitive about the size, IMO. You can get used to carrying a larger camera in about the same way that you got used to carrying your cell phone in a pocket. Get one of those one-hand straps that the pros use.

Most reactions

Back