new lens rec

myopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a newbie who has a question about lens choices. I prefer to use blk+wht film in low-light conditions. Which (reasonably priced) lens would suffice? I use a minolta x-370.

Also, on a different note- would an upgrade to a Canon AE-1 be worthwhile? (i can use my dad's)

A 50mm f/1.8 (or 1.7, I don't know Minoltas lens line) would be a great lens for you in low light.

Using a Canon AE-1 is only worthwhile if you have access to more/better lenses. The body is just a light tight box essentially. I don't know anything about the Minolta x-370 to really compare though.

myopia said:
I am a newbie who has a question about lens choices. I prefer to use blk+wht film in low-light conditions. Which (reasonably priced) lens would suffice? I use a minolta x-370.

Also, on a different note- would an upgrade to a Canon AE-1 be worthwhile? (i can use my dad's)

Does the Minolta have any 50/1.8 lens? If that's the case, that should suffice. You really don't need to go to a Canon AE1 (I can't believe I'm saying this, I'm a Canon AE1/A1 user as well...:lol: ) as long as you have that low light shooting lens, the 50/1.8 or 50/1.4. As I dont know the Minolta system very well, I don't really know if there are 50/1.4 lenses for it but I assume they do have the regular 50/1.8.

IMHO, stay with the Minolta and upgrade only the lens.

i have a 50mm/1.7, but if i used the cannon AE-1, i could be using a 50mm 1.4

would this switch make THAT much of a difference?

myopia said:
i have a 50mm/1.7, but if i used the cannon AE-1, i could be using a 50mm 1.4

would this switch make THAT much of a difference?

Then you're all set! You don't really want to spend the extra $$ for the Canon 50/1.4, the gain in aperture is somewhat insignificant and the Canon 50/1.8 is a better lens overall than the 50/1.4

Just my thoughts...

okay, now that i've cleared that up... i am in the market for a new lens- something fast and for my minolta, specifically a wide angle.
Should i be looking for a 35, 28, 24 ?

I would definitely look at Tamron SP 17mm Adaptall for an extreme WA.

There's the 28mm lens on Ebay.

The 17-28 zoom by Vivitar on Ebay.

The 16mm Zenitar (Russian) Fish Eye WA lens on Ebay.

The 19-35 Zoom by Vivitar on Ebay.

From all of the above I'd still go with the Rokkors made by Minolta (the 28mm Minolta lens).

Hope this helps.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mitica100 said:
I would definitely look at Tamron SP 17mm Adaptall for an extreme WA.

There's the 28mm lens on Ebay.

The 17-28 zoom by Vivitar on Ebay.

The 16mm Zenitar (Russian) Fish Eye WA lens on Ebay.

The 19-35 Zoom by Vivitar on Ebay.

From all of the above I'd still go with the Rokkors made by Minolta (the 28mm Minolta lens).

Hope this helps.

amazing. thanks a LOT !

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back