New member - Posting some Magic Mountain Pictures

Paradigm_Shift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello :)

New member here, I just recently got into photography. I've been trying to learn as much as I can. I still have a long way to go. I thought I'd share some pics with you guys. I have an Olympus E-10 digital (SLR-lite) and a Slik tripod.

I took this at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I'm new so be easy on me!

P2292615.jpg

P2292616.jpg

P2292625.jpg

P2292627.jpg

P2292629.jpg

P2292637.jpg

P2292658.jpg

Comments/critiques welcome 8)

Well, you've proven you have bigger nads than me. I wouldn't even get on that thing, let alone take pictures while doing it! :lol:

You have some nice shots here, with some interesting angles. Well done! I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Interesting... I remember riding that coaster as a kid. They used to run it backwards. :lol: Never thought of taking photos while on it before though.... :thumbsup:

photobug said:
Well, you've proven you have bigger nads than me. I wouldn't even get on that thing, let alone take pictures while doing it! :lol:

You have some nice shots here, with some interesting angles. Well done! I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

:LOL: I have to say that I LOVE roller costars (Go The Titan!!!) but never thought to take pictures while on one before. I like the angles and you have done a nice job with composition. They seem a little shallow still.. like something is missing yet. Great start thought!

I really like the colors and composition of the first two.

Fine job! Amusement parks can make for abstract, colorful photos. I have to say that I love theme parks, but it has been years since I have been to one. When I was a kid we went to Great Adventure in New Jersey. They sold out to Six Flags and we stopped going. Now the closest roller coaster is (I think) in Vegas. Kind of a bummer for me.

Can't say I'd ever take pictures while on a rollercoaster - I'd be holding on for my life!

I answered a trivia question correctly the other day regarding rollercoasters. What U.S. state has the fastest rollercoaster at 120 MPH? For bragging rights I also knew which park. And ideas?

Hi Paradigm,

welcome to the board and sharing those shots... yep theme parks are superb places for colour shots as you've proven here.

1. good shot, good colours but i may be detecting a bit of a blue cast here, try bumping up the yellows a bit
2. my fav. same thing with the colour cast
3. i like it, but the colour cast, seems to darken it a bit... possibly have a play with levels on this one.
4. your nuts, mate! (thats a compliment). This would be my favourite shot, i just wish you got more of the 'human element' in it with the folks on the the lower right.
5. shot has a lot of potential, again have a play with the colour cast, levels and possibly the curves. This shot is too dark, but i would love the the framework and its colours stand out more here!
6. interesting... but doesn't quite grab me... i am not sure what i'm supposed to be looking at here :scratch:
7. cool twilight shot, only prob is the wordage on the sign get lost. Perhaps bump the saturation, and play with the curves to see if you can get it to stand out more.

Good work mate! Unlike some, you've thouroughly convinced NOT to go on a rollercoaster ;) Which shots were done with a tripod, you may want to increase the shutterspeed on some of the darker shots. All in all, you've got a keen eye for this stuff :thumbsup:

Oh... if I am unclear about anything I said, just post back here, most of my references are to photoshop!

ya, you can make some of these really pop- give vonnagy's suggestions a try...
you have a good eye for composition and lines. you have some latent talent- it will be interesting watching you refine it.
looking forward to more shots from ya....

ya, you can make some of these really pop- give vonnagy's suggestions a try...
you have a good eye for composition and lines. you have some latent talent- it will be interesting watching you refine it.
looking forward to more shots from ya....

vonnagy said:
Hi Paradigm,

welcome to the board and sharing those shots... yep theme parks are superb places for colour shots as you've proven here.

1. good shot, good colours but i may be detecting a bit of a blue cast here, try bumping up the yellows a bit
2. my fav. same thing with the colour cast
3. i like it, but the colour cast, seems to darken it a bit... possibly have a play with levels on this one.
4. your nuts, mate! (thats a compliment). This would be my favourite shot, i just wish you got more of the 'human element' in it with the folks on the the lower right.
5. shot has a lot of potential, again have a play with the colour cast, levels and possibly the curves. This shot is too dark, but i would love the the framework and its colours stand out more here!
6. interesting... but doesn't quite grab me... i am not sure what i'm supposed to be looking at here :scratch:
7. cool twilight shot, only prob is the wordage on the sign get lost. Perhaps bump the saturation, and play with the curves to see if you can get it to stand out more.

Good work mate! Unlike some, you've thouroughly convinced NOT to go on a rollercoaster ;) Which shots were done with a tripod, you may want to increase the shutterspeed on some of the darker shots. All in all, you've got a keen eye for this stuff :thumbsup:

Oh... if I am unclear about anything I said, just post back here, most of my references are to photoshop!

Thanks for the comments...

To address some of the things you mentioned:

* I have worked in Photoshop before but not to modify any levels. I'm new to photo composition and haven't learned the basics....

* The "human element" was kinda what I wanted to avoid in the shot. I mainly wanted to display the imposing moment of the apex of the drop before all hell brakes loose, and so I wished to show the sheer height, no the human reaction, although the latter would surely make for interesting photos.

* The fence shot was an attempt to contrast the setting sun against shadowed objects with a large contrast of the flashed fence. I hardly planned it, I just shot it while in line.

Taking photographs in the dark have been an issue with me getting things right. Thank you for all the comments though, I appreciate the feekback so that I can learn more! :D

Most reactions

Back