New Nikon 7500

And on the Nikon website, the lineup of the FX series cameras==> FX Series DSLRs

FX Flagship is the D5
FX Professional is the D810
FX Advanced Entry is the D750
and
FX Entry-Level is the D610

and the SPECIAL PURPOSE cameras are:
Modern Classic is the Df
Astrophotography is the D810A

The single card deal is not an issue for me at all but, if I were a pro I could see it. I personally like the addition of a flippy screen, improved autofocus, 8 fps, and 50 shot raw buffer. These added features make this camera very appealing to me. The crazy expanded ISO doesn't impress me all that much as boosting the exposure in post has pretty much the same effect.

I've had two SD cards go to crap in-camera in the last 4 months with my D610 so I was REALLY happy that I had a spare.

Last edited:
Its like looking at a John Deere catalogue

I really do not value the dual card slots nearly as much as many people do...I've owned several pro camera with only a single memory card slot. The Canon 5D, the Nikon D1, the Nikon D1h, and the Nikon D2x: all of those had only ONE, single CF memory card slot. And those were cameras with retail prices ranging from $3,499 to $4995 to $7999 at intro. Now that we have massive memory cards available, I see less and less real, true need for two card slots. As do many people.
Provided that your one card does not fail, I would have trouble disagreeing. Maybe I'm snakebit, but I've had 2 cards fail this year.

Weird. In 16 years I have never had a card failure. I own all SanDisk cards, except for one Delkin CF card.

Last edited:
Weird. In 16 years I have never had a card failure. I own all SanDisk cards, except for one Selling CF card.
I did have a card failure on my cell phone but that is the only time. I do know that the D7500 will be the next piece of gear I buy. Serious GAS build up. (g)ear (a)quisition (s)yndrome

I remember how much bashing there was when the Nikon D750 was announced! This announcement seems oddly reminiscent of all the early-days bashing of the D750: lack of innovation; not enough megapixels (Not 36-MP!); not enough this, not enough that. I suppose time will tell what criticism is warranted and what is not. Of course, the folks who want champagne at beer budget prices will never be silenced. They want ALL of the D500 features, but do not want to pay for them.

Weird. In 16 years I have never had a card failure. I own all SanDisk cards, except for one Delkin CF card.
In the interest of full disclosure: the card that failed, I was able to reformat. It could be that the second failure was the same card!

I remember how much bashing there was when the Nikon D750 was announced! This announcement seems oddly reminiscent of all the early-days bashing of the D750: lack of innovation; not enough megapixels (Not 36-MP!); not enough this, not enough that. I suppose time will tell what criticism is warranted and what is not. Of course, the folks who want champagne at beer budget prices will never be silenced. They want ALL of the D500 features, but do not want to pay for them.
I totally agree. It looks like a really solid camera to me, and the missing second slot was the only thing that made me flinch at all. I say that I really want that second card slot, but when faced with the opportunity of paying another $750 to get it – I guess I really don't want it that bad

What brand was the failed card, just out of curiosity. Was it a "top name brand" card, or a lesser-priced one? And how large was the card? Big or small capacity?

What brand was the failed card, just out of curiosity. Was it a "top name brand" card, or a lesser-priced one? And how large was the card? Big or small capacity?
It was some flavor of Sandisk. I'll take a look when I get home to see which one it was, If I didn't pitch it. I have a hazy recollection that it was one of those "super big" cards – like 128 GB

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a D5 at D3400 prices.

Someone is always bashing the new model as not enough innovation and costs too much.
That's why Nikon has different models at different price points that competes against other camera makers different models at different price points.

And anyone that knows me knows that I didn't buy a D500 due to gas. But I was seriously looking at the D5500 for astro work due to my back having issues readjusting my 160lb telescope every time it slewed where I couldn't see in the viewfinder or LCD. Then bestbuy gave me an offer I couldn't refuse with the D500 ... and 2 freebie OEM grips for the D500 and D750. Essentially making it a $1300 camera body. At that point I spent close to 4+ months debating about which model to get including looking at SONY Full Spectrum bodies to resolve some light pollution effects.

The "high ISO" performance is better than the previous DX cameras but 1million ISO is just a number and a useless image. I did ISO comparisons of the D5500, D500, D7200, D7100, D750, D610 and FX still dominated.

When looking at the models features one really has to compare against other makers.
How does the D500 compare to the Canon 7d Mark II is the *real* comparison.
D610 to the 6D, 5d Mark III to the D750, 700D to the D7200 (or d7500 now), etc etc

Moving to a D500 means giving up U1 and U2. I am much more comfortable giving up the 2nd card than I would be giving up the User Settings that the prosumer models have.

Moving to a D500 means giving up U1 and U2. I am much more comfortable giving up the 2nd card than I would be giving up the User Settings that the prosumer models have.
Correct, the D500 does *not* have U1 and U2.

But it does have "Photo Shooting Menu banks" of A, B, C and D.
I only have 2 banks set up but they are similar to the U1 U2 .. I think, I never actually used those. see pg 283 in the D500 manual.

You do have to turn ON the "Extended Photo menu banks" in order to also store Shutter, Aperture and Flash.

So you may want to look into that feature as an alternative to the U1 and U2.

such as this info ==> https://www.rockynook.com/samples/1007/Sample_Pages.pdf

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back