New to photography, currently looking at a Nikon D3000 to buy

Smylie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I want to give photography a go as ive always enjoyed taking pictures of wildlife and different locations. I want to get an easy DSLR so that i can learn to use them and start improving from day 1. Ive been looking at the D3000 as my starter camera, just wondering if this would be a good choice as i don't want to live with regret or get put off buying DSLRs.

Thanks
Smylie

Did you already find one?

well no, ive just been looking though the internet at reviews and prices. The D3000 stood out to me and so i was looking at that, just wanted to know if what people think of it.

Smylie said:
well no, ive just been looking though the internet at reviews and prices. The D3000 stood out to me and so i was looking at that, just wanted to know if what people think of it.

It boils down to budget but I would say there's better options out there. I used to have one. I didnt hate it but it definitely had its limitations. What's your budget?

Maybe a d3100? I'm not familiar with the going rates there. It's a generation newer. If you find a deal on the d3000 and it leaves you some money, try and pick up a flash.

ok, thanks. The D3100 does look a lot better and its still in budget :). Definetly be looking at these closer. Thanks

The D3000 and D3100 are really the very lower end of the Nikon range. I have a D60 (which the D3000 replaced) and while it is an OK camera if I had it to do again I probably would not buy it. In my opinion the lowest rung on the Nikon ladder should be in the D90 / D5100 range. Below that there are a number of features missing that would really be beneficial in the long run. My advice would be to wait until you can put together the budget for something at that level.

My first DSLR was a D90. I absolutely adored it! Even now that I have a d7000 and soon to be 700 or 800 I still find myself missing my old d90 from time to time. It's a nice lower budget, feel good camera that can put out some very decent stuff!

I got mine newwith a used Nikon 16-85 for about $800-$900 Canadian. So it's not even that far off from 400 pounds sterling. I'd be surprised of you couldn't do something similar in the £500-550 range.

Lem

Oh.. And the other reason I prefer the d90 over the 5100 is the size. The 5100 is a small plasticy build. The d90 is no stranger to plastic but it has some nice "heft" to it and a better size for the hands of a grown adult. It feels like you're wielding a serious tool,

Lem

Amazon has the d90 new for $799 US and adorama has it refurbished for $699 US.

I still have my D90 and still use it a lot. I personally think it would be a far better choice than a D3000.

I purchased a d90 for a friend recently. It was to replace a d 5100 .... The d5100 had better specs...but the d90 feels sturdier and is more user friendly. She is very happy with the d90 and says she wouldn't go back to the d5100. Nikon and canons low end cameras have high specs but tend to feel like toys. You have to go into menus to change even basic settings and they are generally for low use.... Low end are prone to break down. I know over a dozen people in the past two years who had to send their brand new cameras back for repairs. :(
I would suggest a d90 or save up a little and go for d300s. You will have a camera that will serve you for years.

Although it is considered a entry level camera I do love my D3100. If you are upgrading from a Point and Shoot or just starting photography is an excellent start.

SCraig said:
I still have my D90 and still use it a lot. I personally think it would be a far better choice than a D3000.

X2. I love mine and I had the d3000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back