New to professional photography

WesA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings everyone! My name is Wes, and up until now I've only oooed and ahhhed at gorgeous professional photographs. Well this year I have a combination of extra funds coming up on Christmas and I thought a really nice Christmas present to myself would be a good entry level DSLR camera. To that end I thought I would do my research and I first thought of trying to find a community of professional photographers that could not only recommend a good starting camera, but can give me tips and pointers for improving my photography as I go along. Have I found the right place? :)

I'll start another thread outside of the introductions for suggestions on a camera given my requirements and desires. :D

Last edited:
I'm speechless. Where were you yesterday? :twak:

/self

:lmao:

lol. I must be missing something. What happened yesterday?

"run, Forest, run !"

Hopefully you have several extra years to learn the skills too. Those who buy a fancy camera and instantly decide they should become a 'pro' are not all that well received in photo forums.

There are so many people in your area who are doing the same thing :)

/self

Oh, not much. We were discussing the concept where owning professional grade equipment does not make you professional grade. My bet is you're destined to continue simply "looking" at professional photographs for quite a while as opposed to instantly gaining the expertise required to produce them simply because you decided to buy some stuff.

Nothing personal, just sayin'

:lol: :lmao:

Last edited:
wow,what a welcome wagon. Didn't realize those who purchased a "fancy camera" were just wanabe pros all around. What if this new Guest is currently taking classes? We would never know because he is apparently " destined to continue simply "looking" at professional photographs". I am not at all siding with the idea that a 1k camera makes you a pro, but I am also not into downing someone on their purchase to continue a further interest. Everyone started somewhere.

Ahh I see :)

Well this is the reason I came here in the first place, research! My understanding of photography is limited, I'm a 'true beginner' So rather than spending a ton of money on a super cool tech device how about some advice on where to start? :)

The reason I was thinking I needed a nice camera is because I thought it would help me to better learn exposure and shutter speed and the like. My current camera is a little Sanyo Xacti Walmart Special. Is this an okay camera to learn the trade with?

Snapcrazy, don't waste your breath. Wes, don't waste your money. Honestly.

Go buy any low-end body that has decent specs and learn to use it. If you're still into it and think you want to go pro after a year or two, buy something nice. Really, it's not something you can just jump into by getting the good gear.

Just like buying a race-car doesn't make you a professional racer or getting a nice stove doesn't make you a chef... win some purse money, get your best dish in the NYT's food section, then come tell us how you're a professional. ;)

Who are you to judge who my post a waste? I was giving my opinion just like you.

Fair enough, so what would you consider a decently spec'd low-end body?

edit: Ooooh I get a little of the hostility now, lol. Honestly I've been reading reviews on CNet for a few days and just was completely confused on some things concerning the cameras themselves so I started my search today. I know that it's impossible for me to convince you in two or three posts that I'm not some troll, but hopefully you'll at least give me a chance to learn. I'd hate to miss out on an opportunity because some asshats that came before me ruined it.

As far as the avatar goes I just have weird tastes. I like creepy-cute things. It would have either been that or My Little Cthulhu *shrugs*

Last edited:
If your skin is even remotely thick you'll be fine. There's a lot of help here and these guys (including me) love to talk about ourselves and how we do what we do. (Nothing personal, erose ;) )

So, carrying on with considerable disregard of the original topic, have you decided what "brand" you're going with? Have you realized that the glass is just as (in many cases more) important as the body? What do you want to specialize in? What's your budget? Are you going to get training, or learn by doing?

Who are you to judge (something incoherent)

I'm Batman. :twak:

And snapcrazy, in case you didn't get it...

Everyone started somewhere.

True enough, but nobody started as a professional. The title of the thread specifically implied he was a professional, even though the post claims he hasn't even bought the equipment.

If you don't see the irony, humor, arrogance and amazement in that premise, well, all I can say is I'm speechless. :lol:

/self

Oh, not much. We were discussing the concept where owning professional grade equipment does not make you professional grade. My bet is you're destined to continue simply "looking" at professional photographs for quite a while as opposed to instantly gaining the expertise required to produce them simply because you decided to buy some stuff.

Nothing personal, just sayin'

:lol: :lmao:

In an effort to attempt to inject some humor into this post, which is estimated to be the 687th occurrence of this same,exact situation on this forum, let me present a movie clip that I think summarizes the chances of going from a 1) non-camera-owning beginner to a 2)successful professional inside of three years:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back