New to the Forums/Photography

CubsFanMike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I'm looking into getting my first DSLR and don't have a lot of history with photography. I am between a Nikon D40x, Nikon D80 or D90, or a Canon XSi (mainly looking to spend a little less than $1000, so a used D200 might work as well???). I'm really interested in taking landscapes and architecture, but would really like to get the best deal for my money. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
If you look hard, you can probably find a D40x for around 1K. I got a good deal on mine w/ two lenses for just over 1K including a warranty from the shop that I got it from.

For architecture and landscape, wouldn't wide angle lenses be the most useful? Like a 12-24 and a 17-50 or a similar setup? D40 should work as long as you don't plan to print big or crop the pics a lot. If I could do it again, I'd try for something like the D80 or maybe a D70s for more AF focus points and ability to AF on all of the lenses without the built-in motor.

I guess I'm just looking for a good kit (doesn't have to have more than a 55mm lens to start) for under $1000. In the future I'd be willing to spend more on lenses...do most people on the boards tend to lean towards Nikon?

I guess I'm just looking for a good kit (doesn't have to have more than a 55mm lens to start) for under $1000. In the future I'd be willing to spend more on lenses...do most people on the boards tend to lean towards Nikon?

I wouldn't take the leanings of a message board as the reasoning behind your brand choice. Pick what you think feels the best and has the best system based on what you like to photograph.

Most reactions

Back