New wide angle lens

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya all,

Have been allowed by the Wife to buy a new lens, currently have the Samyang 16mm 2.0 and a Nikkor 35 1.8 and wish to get something between those two. I do prefer primes for reasons that escape me and as it will be for general landscape work I really do not mind manual lenses such as the Samyang 24mm 1.4. I am also looking at the various Tonkina, Tamron, Sigma and Nikkor offerings has any one have a wide angle zoom between 16 and 35mm that they wish to share their experience with? just about every lens I look at iin that area is getting good reviews and ratings onlne and just wondering is anyone would like to add their 2c worth in?

Thanks

I have the sigma 20mm f1.4 Art and am very happy.

with 18, 20, 24, 28mm primes
and zooms like 14-24, 16-35,17-35 and 18-35 examples
it comes down to budget, how small/compact/light you may want it and all the tradeoffs.
also if you currently use any filter system.

Budget wise I want to stay below the 1000usd mark, this is a hobby and not willing to spend uber $. Weight is not something I am too worried about my D7200 doesn't weight much at all. As I said I do have a little thing for prime lenses for no real reason other than my own oddness, but I have been very tempted by the various zoom options available. These days the sharpness between zooms and primes is barely worth mentioning so not worried about that. I do use a filter system (format hitech) so the lens will need a removable lens hood at the very least.

I'm thinking of the Tokina 11-16 myself, but I guess that is too wide for your purposes.

Budget wise I want to stay below the 1000usd mark, this is a hobby and not willing to spend uber $. Weight is not something I am too worried about my D7200 doesn't weight much at all. As I said I do have a little thing for prime lenses for no real reason other than my own oddness, but I have been very tempted by the various zoom options available. These days the sharpness between zooms and primes is barely worth mentioning so not worried about that. I do use a filter system (format hitech) so the lens will need a removable lens hood at the very least.

The wide angle zoom that I that use is the Nikkor 12-24 f4G. It is a good performer and compatible with your camera. You should be able to buy it for less $1K and much less in pristine used condition. I spent a day once with the Tamron f4 on a loan once. It was a decent performer with perhaps a little more barrel distortion than the Nikkor and slightly cheaper build quality. But I would say the Tamron was very good performer.

I prefer prime lenses too but there isn't much available in wide angles for DX format. The zooms suffer from more barrel distortion than the primes and are bit less contrasty but they are what amateur photographers want.

Most reactions

Back