Newbie here with a few shots

STiStein

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and wanted feedback on some recent shots. I bought a D90 less than a month ago now because my "Ol Lady" and I want to pursue a business/career in photography since its something we enjoy very much doing. I haven't had a chance yet to shoot more than one couple which might be the foundation of our business (people), but would love to shoot just about anything. Below are a few what I think are decent nothing to great that are unedited. They were shot with the standard 18-105mm that comes with the D90.

Picture140.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture355.jpg

Picture357.jpg

Picture366.jpg

Picture456.jpg

Picture464.jpg

Picture534.jpg

Picture542.jpg

Picture708.jpg

Picture721.jpg

Picture735.jpg

Picture674.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture269.jpg

Picture256.jpg

Too many pictures to do feedback on. Post 3 or 4 and you'll get more responses.

good pictures. i always like insect pictures as i find them very interesting. Some of the picture have incorrect WB imo like the first lamb picture. also why didn't you use fill flash on the squirrel in the shade?
again too many pictures.

I agree, one too many. I'll try to calm myself next time. :lol:

good pictures. i always like insect pictures as i find them very interesting. Some of the picture have incorrect WB imo like the first lamb picture. also why didn't you use fill flash on the squirrel in the shade?
again too many pictures.

Thanks, I was playing around with the WB making some warmer for example with the lamb was set high and with the first flower one above the sunflower was set low. I was trying to get a dark silhouette of the squirrel but yet not to dark, and the second was with the WB set a bit higher. I took about 25 pics of the squirrel but I think he had had enough and ran away before I could take more with flash.

you've had a camera for a month, and your starting a business already?? good luck i guess...

you've had a camera for a month, and your starting a business already?? good luck i guess...

Is there something wrong with "pursuing" something you enjoy doing? I didn't mean that it would happen this year but we have been enjoying photography for years and hope to do it professionally one day soon.

there's nothing wrong with starting a business. however, the pros spend years studying, shadowing, and finding their style and expertise before going solo. it is not only disrespectful to those who pursue photography as a career to claim that you will be starting a business if you held your camera only for a month, but detrimental to the customer who will undoubtedly hire you for a professional quality photos and you cannot deliver. if you have the ability and the experience to claim your work worthy of pay then for all it is worth go for it. but don't just throw around being a pro so lightly. do not take what i said personally as i cannot be a judge of your experience and passion for photography. what i said is what i perceive as the general sentiment of the forum including myself.

Is there something wrong with "pursuing" something you enjoy doing? I didn't mean that it would happen this year but we have been enjoying photography for years and hope to do it professionally one day soon.

You have to understand how many people come here with the same intention. Sorry if people are cynical, but really, there have been some good laughs here.

How many years have you been dedicated to the craft? How long have you done portraiture? How many photographs have you sold to date? Not knocking you, just curious where the line is from hobby to business.

I may have slid the word "professionally" in there but I didn't mean it as calling myself a pro but more as in wanting to do it for a career. The only way I know to get better is trial and error. Just because I don't have the time to go back to school doesn't mean that I can't learn for myself. I know that I do have the willpower and the creativity I just need lots of practice, it goes the same for whatever your trying to accomplish. You can't get better at riding a bike by studying and reading a book, its just that simple.. I'm definitely not trying to take credit away from a pro by wanting to be successful, sorry if you guys feel that way.

You are not taking credit away.
You don't "have" to go to school for this.
Keep doing what you are doing.
Just be careful how you phrase things, I guess.

You came here claiming you want to eventually start a portraiture busines, but you want C&C on butterflies. Show us your portraiture. Start developing those skills.

But honestly, of all the threads created claiming " just got my camera, what do you think", your shots are pretty good.

On a side note...It's taken me over 20 years to finally see, and decide that I am good enough at what I do to be my own boss rather than an employee. I've built my reputation. Now it's time. 15 years ago...mmm...I could have done it, but I would have struggled. I personally have a problem with people thinking they are going to be successful at any business venture they haven't been involved in for for more than 5 years. Yes, of course it can happen. But frankly, you have to know what you are doing, and do it very well to start a business. Please don't be offended. Hang out here long enough (heck I've been here for only 3-4 months) and you will see how many people pick up a camera, and come here asking what they need to start a business, get answers, and never come back again. It really is comical.

wow kels.. thats the biggest thread jack I've ever seen... ?? start your own thread... you'll get more responses that way..

Kels, it's best to start your own thread if you want critique on your shots, rather than posting in someone else's.

Edit: nikonguy and I seem to be having some timing issues this morning...:lol:

Ok A holes... Im new to fourms, DUHHHH! I got it!:lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back