newbie question about lighting for repetitive stills

ruafreebird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a brand new member and novice photographer! I originally searched for such a forum because I had a photography question. I'm glad I found it. It looks like it will be very useful. Even though I have not officially introduced myself yet, I will use this first post to ask my question. Perhaps it belongs on another forum? If so, plz lmk.

I am trying to stage a set where I can take quick, repeated still shots of baseball cards. I have over 20k and want to catalog them. Good photos of each are a must! Snapping photos is faster than scanning them and hopefully will result in a better quality.

I will be using a FujiFilm FinePix SL1000 mounted on a tripod facing the black top of my desk. Unfortunately, the SL1000 does not have a shutter release cord. :(

I will place the individual cards, one at a time in a premarked spot under the lens. The method is quicker than using a scanner. However, I am having trouble with lighting. There is a table lamp about three feet from the camera. I have taken shots with it on, and with it off using the flash. Neither of them are good enough. I am shooting in SP-Auto mode. Should I set the camera up in Manual or Advanced with specific settings? Should I make a light box and use daylight bulbs?

I appreciate any and all suggestions and advice.

I've seen such photography using two lights, one on either side of the subject. I think these are more powerful than an ordinary table lamp.

At least set up two work lights with reflectors fairly close to your setup, aimed downward toward the card position.

I like the light box idea! Although I've never been lucky enough to use one, it sounds like it would work like a charm for your project.

As for the remote release, my camera doesn't have a spot for one either but it will take an IR remote. I just got mine on amazon for only $6 or so with free prime shipping. I'd be willing to be yours will accept one as well!

Have you looked into scanners with auto-feed attachments such as are used for scanning slides? I don't know if there is one available that would accept baseball cards, but I wouldn't be surprised. It might also be easier to do a 9 or 12 up of the cards, and then just 'cut' the scan apart into indvidual cards in Photoshop.

Assuming however that there is not, I would look for a light tent similar to this one (there are a million of 'em on eBay, Amazon, etc). What you want is a diffused light source that isn't going to cause specular reflections on the card.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back