Newbie trying to get specific results please help

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Currently I have a D60 with a 50m 1.8 and trying to get results like the picture below. I'm not sure if I need a wider lens or not but when I try to take a picture of a shirt I can't fit the entire shirt. When I try to use the kit lens it fits the entire shirt but it is very blurry. Which lens would you guys recommend so I can fit the entire shot with it being as clear as possible. Also, do you think the black background is helping with the white shirt as far as color goes? And would a filter help at all? Any advice would help a lot thanks!

These are the pictures im trying to get. I know they are not the greatest but it seems to fit while also showing clarity.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/schematique/junk/ibou1982-img450x600-1252859093tceep.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/schematique/junk/ibou1982-img450x600-1252859093ng8od.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/schematique/junk/ibou1982-img450x600-1252859093gagn4.jpg

Last edited:
If these are not your images you don't want to post them here!

Not to be rude... but can't you just take a few steps backwards if the subject doesn't fit in your shot? I know you're not shooting with a zoom, so just walk backwards a tad! The ones that are "blurry" may be that way because each lens has a limit to focusing distance (you may be to close for your lens).

Lastly, I would iron the shirts before anything else.

When I try to use the kit lens it fits the entire shirt but it is very blurry.
That's likely because your kit lens has a smaller max aperture, which requires longer shutter speeds, thus resulting in camera shake blur. This problem could be solved with more light, but it could also be solved with the use of a tripod. When you use a tripod (and a remote or the self timer) the camera does not move at all, so even slower shutter speeds shouldn't give you any blur.

Using a tripod would also be a good idea because with a somewhat static camera position, it should be easier to frame the shots for what you want.

If you post your photo here with the Exif data, we maybe able to find out why it is blurry.

Well the pictures are not really blurry just not as crisp as the ones above. I am also using a tripod as well a manfrotto 190xb. The kit lens, 18-55 seem that it doesnt hold up for what I am trying to do. I've tried all the settins and the picture still doesnt seem as good. Im not sure what lens I can change because no matter what I've tried the image doesnt come close to that.

We'll have to see the images you are getting.

And if those images above are not yours, you will have to take them down as per forum rules. (you can leave links, just not display them directly).

took a quick picture of what ive been describing. Its just a bad picture and I feel that its just not sharp enough as the pictures above. For lighting I was using 2 sb 600

DSC_0219.jpg

First, make sure that the lens and sensor are clean. Next, set the aperture to at least f/5.6, I'd go f/16 if your off camera flash will put out that much. I would also have the flash further around the arc to better bring out the textures.

Do you think a better lens would help? Or is it all about my poor technique?

there's nothing in that picture of a shirt that is difficult for the lens... no flare, potential for CA, its not a moving subject (wider aperture versus shutter), you have full control over lighting, etc.. Its more technique.

#1 is TRIPOD.
#2 pull the flash a bit back or diffuse it.
#3 move or hang the coat a little farther away from the white background and fill it. remove shadows and you want to blow it out a little more.
#4 Now that you are on a tripod, you don't need to worry about shutter speeds. Stop down your aperture. f/5.6 to f/11...

Is there any specific diffuser I should get? Also, how do I fill in the background and remove the shadows?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back