Next Lens Acquisition... Canon 50mm 1.4 or 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6

JacobCrumbley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everybody!

This is my first post, and I'm happy I've found a solid looking forum.

I'm looking to take advantage of the many holiday sales and adding another lens to the arsenal. Currently, I make a living as a photographer for a school of models, actors and dancers on the west coast. I mainly do head shots and simple photo shoots. For this work I generally use my 85mm f/1.8, and once in awhile I'll throw on the 55-250.

Now that I've built up a decent portfolio for studio work, I'm looking to get into weddings and events as a way to pay the bills and get more equipment. I'm shooting on a Rebel t4i with an Alien Bees b800 flash unit, and I'm extremely happy with the performance of both finding that they suit my needs perfectly.

I'm planning on getting the 17-55 f/2.8 in a couple months, so would I be better off with another prime (50mm 1.4) or a more versatile walkaround lens, like the 28-135.

Any help, advice or guidance is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the forum.

The 'internet forum nerd' in me is screaming....you are trying to make a living as a professional with amateur equipment.
But my more practical side wants to say "the gear barely matters, it's what you do with it that does".

But that being said, part of being a good professional, is knowing when & why to buy/use professional level gear. The 85mm F1.8 and 50mm F1.4 are both pretty good lenses, not the best quality available, but certainly very good.

The 28-135mm is decent, but it's not what I'd call pro quality...and with it's relatively small maximum aperture, it just isn't a good option for a professional. For something similar, I'd suggest the 24-70mm F2.8 L or the 24-105mm F4 L IS.
Really, I'd also suggest looking into a 70-200mm F2.8. That is my favourite lens for portraits, especially tighter shots like head shots etc.
Anther good option would be the 135mm F2 L.

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 is a great lens. It's only problem is that it's an EF-S lens and thus not compatible with full frame cameras. And if you are planning to make a career of this, you'll probably end up going with a full frame camera(s) sooner or later. So you'll have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to buy a $1000 lens that isn't going to be compatible going forward. But, it may be a while before you upgrade (or maybe you won't) so it could still be a good option. And you can always sell it when the time comes.

I was in a similar situation. I had crop sensor cameras and several EF-S (or similar) lenses. I wasn't sure if I'd ever move to full frame, but I did. I ended up selling 4 lenses and purchased three others to replace them.

And if you plan on getting into wedding photography, you will need another camera body and a couple flashes etc.

Last edited:
No need to readdress what Mike has already said sooooooo...I would go with the 50mm f/1.4 USM and save for one of the 24-70mm f/2.8.

Ever consider a better low light body (i.e. Canon 5Dc or Mk II)? You could do wonders with a 50mm 1.4 and and 85mm 1.8 at weddings with that setup

Welcome to the forum.

The 'internet forum nerd' in me is screaming....you are trying to make a living as a professional with amateur equipment.
But my more practical side wants to say "the gear barely matter's, it's what you do with it that does".

But that being said, part of being a good professional, is knowing when & why to buy/use professional level gear. The 85mm F1.8 and 50mm F1.4 are both pretty good lenses, not the best quality available, but certainly very good.

The 28-135mm is decent, but it's not what I'd call pro quality...and with it's relatively small maximum aperture, it just isn't a good option for a professional. For something similar, I'd suggest the 24-70mm F2.8 L or the 24-105mm F4 L IS.
Really, I'd also suggest looking into a 70-200mm F2.8. That is my favourite lens for portraits, especially tighter shots like head shots etc.
Anther good option would be the 135mm F2 L.

The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 is a great lens. It's only problem is that it's an EF-S lens and thus not compatible with full frame cameras. And if you are planning to make a career of this, you'll probably end up going with a full frame camera(s) sooner or later. So you'll have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to buy a $1000 lens that isn't going to be compatible going forward. But, it may be a while before you upgrade (or maybe you won't) so it could still be a good option. And you can always sell it when the time comes.

I was in a similar situation. I had crop sensor cameras and several EF-S (or similar) lenses. I wasn't sure if I'd ever move to full frame, but I did. I ended up selling 4 lenses and purchased three others to replace them.

And if you plan on getting into wedding photography, you will need another camera body and a couple flashes etc.

^^^This. As someone that has the 28-135mm, I would also suggest the 24-105mm before the 28-135. In all honestly, I think you would be happier with the constant aperture of f/4 on the 24-105.

Thank you everybody that replied - certainly makes it easier! I will probably end up going with the 50mm 1.4 for now, just because of budget concerns. I'm planning on getting the 70-200 following the 50. I appreciate everyone's reply, especially you, Big Mike!

I suggest the 50mm 1.4 also. I have both lenses that you mentioned and the 50 is the better option. It's sharp also.

The 28-135 I have used at events before and the quality is sub par. I was in low light (very low light at some times) with my 580exii on the hot shoe. And lots of shots came out soft. Useable but soft. Had to bump the clarity quite a bit with they lens.

On a budget the 70-200 f/4 is a great lens. I have both the f/2.8 and f/4 and both are very sharp. I use the f/4 more for outdoor shooting but am now posting my f/4 for sale to fund a 24-105L for shooting video.

The 50mm 1.4 though is great. Good build quality and sharp. I always use it at events and when I am put shooting for misc stuff. Also on my 7D it's great for portraits.

Most reactions

Back