Night time New York City (first timer w/ night shots)

cosmom3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers on my first time with night shooting. Just to let yall know, I did not have a tripod so I had to be very creative in shooting...having a tripod would had been so cool!
543743579_4ae244a720_b.jpg

543743551_2d2fb98cc0_b.jpg

543737185_7da2629933_b.jpg

Personal favorite
543636856_5afe41501c_b.jpg

543737129_4c6ef54e12_b.jpg

Nice photos. What were your camera settings?

I love the shots of the water! I've been trying to get something like that. I should go and try again...

I just got my tripod, and it makes a world of difference!

Wow thanks guys! Your comments are very much appreciated. :wink:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

I'll go in order here
Exposure: 10 sec (10) Aperture: f/9 Focal Length: 22 mm
Exposure: 6 sec (6) Aperture: f/9 Focal Length: 17 mm
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5) Aperture: f/8 Focal Length: 38 mm
Exposure: 5 sec (5) Aperture: f/9 Focal Length: 17 mm
Exposure: 10 sec (10) Aperture: f/9 Focal Length: 22 mm

Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I know some of the cropping could be better, but I havent been able to get CS3 or CS2 just yet. :)

I think you may be confuesing Aimee for me :) ISO was 800 for most these shots.:thumbup:

I liked the second shot especially.

I love night shots, they feel like you're doing something that shouldn't be possible.

LOVE Columbus Circle!, especially in the dark...maybe my favourite spot in Manhattan.
So I'm with you on the best pic of the bunch. Having said that: I think it would have been better if the reflection of the water was completely in the pic. And I feel the background is a bit too busy. (somehow it feels like the trees on the left are in the way).

thanx for sharing!

pascal

LOVE Columbus Circle!, especially in the dark...maybe my favourite spot in Manhattan.
So I'm with you on the best pic of the bunch. Having said that: I think it would have been better if the reflection of the water was completely in the pic. And I feel the background is a bit too busy. (somehow it feels like the trees on the left are in the way).

thanx for sharing!

pascal

Well Id say your darn lucky since you live in NY! My sister just graduated from Brooklyn Law School, hence the trip to New York.

As for the backround and reflection of the water, I would of loved too. But I hadn't and still havent invested in a tripod which sucked big time. So I had to use anything flat that I could...even if it was a rock (2nd picture).

Thanks for your critique :)

This post is being moved from The Beginners' Place over to our General Gallery, since there is the better place to post your PHOTOS, whereas the forums under Foundations of Photography are more the Question&Answers-type of forums, you see.

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, by the way, Cosmon! :D

Great shots! I like the fourth best too, it's stunning. But they're all good!

Most reactions

Back