Nikon 20mm f/1.8G

It fills a much-needed gap... I think? But if it's anything like the 35mm 1.8G FX, or 28mm 1.8G FX lenses, it might be another crippled little piece of glass.

Why are they crippled glass?

Why are they crippled glass?

The 35mm 1.8G FX lens is extremely overpriced for what it offers. The performance is sub-par, and it has a basic plastic build-quality. Focus speed isn't insane either. It's difficult to pin-point where your money is going with the lens.

The 28mm 1.8G FX lens does offer nano crystal coating which is nice, but it has strong focus shifting issues. The performance is good otherwise, and it would make sense at its price-point. Were it not for the focus shift problems, I wouldn't say it was crippled at all.

I will be getting this, love my 28mm 1.8 but have been wanting something wider. Nikon has a really solid line up of relatively affordable 1.8g primes now

I doubt I'll buy one until I can get it used.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
These big aperture nikon lenses are pretty soft wide open when compared to third party lenses. :lemo: They don't do your d800 justice. Perhaps it is time to look at sigma. :pride:

These big aperture nikon lenses are pretty soft wide open when compared to third party lenses. :lemo: They don't do your d800 justice. Perhaps it is time to look at sigma. :pride:

Is that so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good thing. Now it will mean that nikon will stop cutting corners on the more affordable lenses if they want that market. They are selling 24mp sensors to give people the illusion of quality, but their lenses just don't measure up.

I like my 20mm 2.8. I've never had any real issues with it and I just cannot think of a circumstance where I'd be in low enough light I'd need that extra stop of light. That's why I like Photoshop; I can get that stop for a heck of a lot less than $1,600 clamatoes.

The only possible good use I can think of for Sigma lenses is if you got enough bundled together, you'd have a nice boat anchor. Every single one I bought from B&H, I had to send back. I think they use glass formed when they popped off all those nukes in Nevada desert in the late 50's.

Last edited:
The only possible good use I can think of for Sigma lenses is if you got enough bundled together, you'd have a nice boat anchor. Every single one I bought from B&H, I had to send back. I think thy use glass formed when they popped off all those nukes in Nevada in the late 50's.
I've heard nothing but good things about the new art line. If there are drawbacks, don't keep it to yourself, let everyone know so we can get to the bottom of this and bring out the pitchforks & torches.

I've heard nothing but good things about the new art line. If there are drawbacks, don't keep it to yourself, let everyone know so we can get to the bottom of this and bring out the pitchforks & torches.

Each of the drawbacks I'm listing are just ripped from various reviews.

Drawback #1: Bokeh. I take this one with a grain of salt since I love the bokeh on my 18-35 Sigma Art (Ownership bias? the bokeh is a significant step up from the 35mm 1.8G DX lens. Bokeh balls are not perfectly round, the only downside I've found to the 18-35 Art, which can be a big downside to some). However, I have heard the 50mm 1.4 Art and 35mm 1.4 Art are so-so in the bokeh department.
Drawback #2: Focus speed. I have heard that many of the Art line lenses don't focus as fast as some of the alternatives.
Drawback #3: Focus accuracy & night-time focus. This is true of the 18-35 Art... the accuracy is very good though, and I wonder how much could just be the D5200's fault. Nevertheless, many reviews indicate the 35 and 50 Art lenses aren't completely reliable in the autofocus department.
Drawback #4: Size & weight. You're paying more for a sharper image with less of all that bad stuff... CA's, distortion, etc. However, these are big lenses, and if you're carrying around a bag of three Art primes, it would become weighted closer to a bag of three zooms.
Drawback #5: Warranty. Sigma's warranty is terrible. In Canada, the warranty has a stipulation that it can be revoked without notice for any reason. Also, in Canada, you must send money with your lens in order to pay for the return shipping costs.

If I were buying a 35mm full frame prime, or 50mm full frame prime (and my budget was $1000 per lens) I would likely look to the Art lenses no doubt. I just don't think they're absolutely flawless.

Last edited:
I have had this lens for about a week now, it only took a few shots for me to realize it was a keeper. Ultra sharp, wonderful ergonomics. I love the focal length. The only problem is that I think it will cause me to leave my 14-24 in the bag. I always seem to be at the 18-20 range on landscapes so this is awesome. Another huge advantage is the astro-capabilities that you get with the 1.8. I have tested it on a starry night and it is just as good in terms of sharpness as my 14-24. I will post some photos soon.

Anyone want to buy a 14-24 :)

Where did you get it? Everywhere I've looked just says that you can pre-order it.

I think I am going to get one. I need a full-frame wide lens and from the research I've done I think this is the one for me.

I ordered from BHphoto. I got on the preorder list pretty early so I guess after the first shipments went out it went back to preorder.

Most reactions

Back