Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 AF/S or Nikon 85mm 1.4 G AF/S?

anagoesch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I would like feedback on those lenses.
It's for outdoor pictures, family and kids portraits.
I have the 50mm 1.8 d and the 55-300mm all from Nikon.
I want upgrade for a top one, something that I could use almost forever...
Thank you

Hello everyone,

I would like feedback on those lenses.
It's for outdoor pictures, family and kids portraits.
I have the 50mm 1.8 d and the 55-300mm all from Nikon.
I want upgrade for a top one, something that I could use almost forever...
Thank you

If I was thinking of spending that sort of money on a 24-70 2.8, I would also be considering a 70-200 2.8 VR. Now that lens really is a great portrait lens, a true beast of a zoom lens. Much more suitable for portraits in my mind. The 85 1.4 AFS-G is an incredible portrait lens, it really has to be one of the best there is, also consider the Sigma 85 1.4..

Both are very different lenses. The 24-70 is an all purpose lens that will give you short tele to wide angle. Max aperture is 2.8 so fairly good in lowlight and will give you good bokeh. The 85mm is most often used as a portrait lens and with it's 1.4 aperture the focal plane is razor thin. Focusing this lens will be a chore, but if you can nail the focus on the eyes this lens will make your photos shine (that is if you understand exposure and other variables of photography). So I can't really tell you which is better for your situation as you have not stated what you intend to shoot. If it's for family and travel, i'd go 24-70. If your looking for a good studio lens/portrait lens the 85 is the way to go.

My bad maybe should have read your post a little more closely, I'd go 24-70 forsure!

Luvn' the 24-70, it lives on my cam.

Thank you for the feedback!
I am still confused which one has the best razor sharp just like a 3d...
I just photograph family,kids and couples and it's always outdoor, parks and open fields. I don't do studio.
I've been saving for a long time and I need to choose the right one ... just need advices from pros like you guys since researching online makes even more confusing...
Does anyone here have those lenses?
Thanks in advance!!!!!! :)

You're splitting kitty hairs as far as which of the two are sharper as they are both sharp under pixil-peeping, thats what they're known for.

Also, my concern is the zoom vs prime.
Would 85 be better quality just because it's not a zoom lens?

The 24-70 will be more useful if you have to choose only one but the 85mm would be much more fun. I find the 24-70 very sharp, clear and versatile but hella boring. It just lacks oomph like the 70-200 or from what I've seen from the 85mm.

The 24-70 will be more useful if you have to choose only one but the 85mm would be much more fun. I find the 24-70 very sharp, clear and versatile but hella boring. It just lacks oomph like the 70-200 or from what I've seen from the 85mm.

I would choose to keep my 24-70 over my 70-200 VRII all day though. That may change when my full frame arrives but i doubt it, I suspect I'll like it more.

I have a D7000.
Sounds like 24-70 it's the best deal...

OP, from what I've gathered from your posts here, 2Wheels & Trever have the right idea. The 24-70mm will be more useful for your purposes. I wouldn't waist my time on the 85mm G for a DX camera.

If the picture comes up with the same sharp quality, than I will go with the 24-70mm.
I was just afraid the the prime had a better quality. It doesn't seems like.

Thanks a lot friends!

The 85mm f/1.4 D or G mount is one of the sharpest, if not the sharpest, portrait lenses made. It's nickname is the Cream Machine due to the way it renders the out of focus background, thus isolating the subject and making them seem to jump off the page. It is more of a specialized lens, where the 24-70mm is more of a general purpose lens. The descriptions of your shooting style seems to lean heavily towards the 24-70mm. Don't worry, you will be pleasantly pleased with the sharpness of the 24-70mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back