Nikon 70-200 AF-S VR

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just pulled the trigger on one a few minutes ago, it will be here next week.

Bought it from B&H (I used the link at the top right corner of the page here, so TPF gets a little love from them).

I will post a review of it when I get it (although the lens is well known).

I had some fundage sitting there for either glass or studio lights, and I was leaning towards lights... until I sat down and really thought it out...

I *think* I will enjoy using studio lights, and learning indoor portraiture... but I *KNOW* I will use the 70-200 2.8 every single week of the year... and B&H had it in stock (not always the case, it is often unavailable).

The good news is I still have $750 in my fund after dropping for the lens, so I can save up a few more bucks and buy myself a basic set of Alien Bees.

After that? 2.8 wide angle glass.

I really, REALLY want a D3, but I am putting my money where my mouth is... I always claim to believe that it is far better to spend your money on good glass than a camera body, so I think unless/until I have a NEED for a D3 I am just not going to get one, and stick with the D80's.

Congrats:)! I hope to soon get the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 since I am not in a position to spend $1700 for the Nikon, what with truck insurance, schooling and such:) I was going to say I hope you enjoy it but that is a given:)

You can always use speedlights for strobes, unless you really need to block out the sun, or shoot at f/22 without popping the strobes more than once.

Nice sabbath good work. I'm going for the 80-200 shortly as I don't have any form of real disposable income at the moment.

I just got (as in UPS delivery yesterday) the 80-200 f2.8 Nikkor....WOW is all I can say, even just after playing with it last evening...the feel, size and quality is astounding.....

I have been shooting for years with f3.5-5.6 long zooms, so didn't feel the VR was worth twice the price....

I look forward to your review!

Just pulled the trigger on one a few minutes ago, it will be here next week.

Bought it from B&H (I used the link at the top right corner of the page here, so TPF gets a little love from them).

I just did the same... (Even the B&H link from TPF). Received it yesterday and went right out to start shooting. Had to clean it becuase there was something on it but other than that... SWEET!!!!

Tim

Been trying different things with this over the past week. Great lens but it IS heavy - esp with a D200. Quite the change from the D70/70-300VR I'd been using for distance. A monopod is a GOOD thing - using it more and more for sports and even distance shots.

Works quite well with the TC-17E II - no complaints at all and that brings me out to 340, a little over what my old 70-300 did.

You CAN use it with the TC20-E II as well, though some have raised complaints (maybe I'm not as fussy or am just losing my eye for detail as I get older). I managed some great shots of birds in flight - and a few aircraft shots (we're near the LI Sound, under the approach for LaGuardia) while just out playing around.

You might want to borrow some teleconverters and try them out if you're looking for a longer reach. You might be able to get what you want out of this lens for a nominal incremental cost.

btw - my experiene was with Nikon teleconverters (which are pricey in comparison to others - though I bought used), not third party brands

Most reactions

Back