nikon d40... should i get it?

underOATH2220

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking for a dslr that can take good pictures but also wont burn a hole in my already small pocket :lol:

im really liking the nikon d40 because of the price and also i've seen some really nice pictures taken with it...

i would love some advice because i know that there are some really camera smart people on here..

thanks.

I second that question..

I am looking for a present for me second half, and on the fence between d40, d40x and d80..

Don't know what camera am I better of getting for her.

Do some searches. This question is answered about 10 times a week and I believe has been answered in 2 or 3 threads already today.

I have the D40 as well and will agree, you get Amazing photos, actually the photos from my D40 are just as good as my photos from my D200. Really it is the lens you put on the camera that makes the biggest difference. Adviously the D200 has several addvantages but as far as picture quallity they are very close:) The only thing with the D40 is the lack of an AF motor. If you are not planning on doing photography work as a money makeing hobby/job the D40 is great because you can get either the Nikon AF-S 18-55 and Nikon AF-S 55-200 VR which both auto focus with the D40 and covers form 18mm -200mm. Also another way to go would be to get the Nikon AF-S 18-200 VR lens which covers everything. You can also get Sigma HSM lens, they autofocus with the D40 as well! Lens like the 50mm f/1.8 AF lens will not auto focus must be AF-S or HSM. So it depends on what you want in the long run, I got the D40 thinking I would not be doing much photography work but soon decided I wanted to do more with it so, I upgraded:) The D80 has the AF motor so it has that advantage. Skip the D40x I think it is a joke, all they did was bust the MP to 10.2 which really does not make any difference, all that does is allow you to get larger prints like 20-30 or something large like that and I doubt you will be doing much of that. Same with the D60, still no AF motor but it cost more than the D40:(

Look at your price range
Look at what you want it for now
And what you want to do with it later

Hope that is helpfull:)

You get what you pay for!
I personally wouldn't get the D40. Id get the Canon Rebel XTi

i will agree with D40 on what he (or she) said, the lack of a AF Motor is deffinatley not great if you want to use other lens. Actually its the lack of AF motor that caused me to buy a D50 today actually. I do photography for work though, so I needed the functions that the D50 provide that the D40 didnt have. HOWEVER I still will use my d40... I like the option of having 2 bodies, that way i can put a zoom lens on one body and a portrait lens on the d40.

As for Prodigy's comments, I would have to disagree. The advantage with the Nikon is that you can use all the old lens that were made, which allow you to buy lens at pawn shops, for DIRT CHEAP and they will work (manual focus) on the d40.. it's a preference because I don't like spending hundreds of dollars on lens, which you'd have to with the Canon...

the D40 is a fine DSLR for your stated purpose.....I started with it, and migrated to a D80 and now a D300......the D40 still remains in my collection

While the Nikon D40 is cheap, it has a few drawbacks.

1) A CCD sensor which produces a lot of noise at higher ISOs; and
2) It will not focus all Nikkor lenses.

For a little more money, you can get a Canon which not only accepts all Canon lenses but all Canons use CMOS sensors, similar technology as Nikon and Canon's professional line of cameras. Only Nikon's D3, D300 and D2X use CMOS sensors.

Photography is all about the final image and the less expensive Canons have better Image Quality at higher ISOs and in the shadows.

Gary

Last edited:
thank you everyone very much...

i guess its now between the rebel and the d40..

Be sure to handle them before choosing, if at all possible. I went to Circuit City and did so, and together with a ton of online research, went for the D40. The Canon just felt cheap and extremely non-ergonomic in my hand, while the Nikon felt good.

I couldn't be happier with my choice, either.

Feel is the last thing one needs to be concerned about when choosing a camera. The first and foremost is Image Quality, the next is performance (will the camera do what I need it to do), then camera system (because you are actually purchasing a camera system not just a body) the the camera manufacturer have the lenses and accessories l need far into the furure, budget (mmh maybe higher on the list) ... then maybe feel.

All dSLR are built around the same human hand ... they are not significantly different ... and within a very very short time span a human can easily adjust to whatever camera meets the more important factors and considerations.

Gary

PS- I am not saying don't physically check out cameras ... just don't make feel a high priority.
G

I to chose a D40 over the XTi because of the the D40 felt much better, after all you will be holding this thing a lot! Yes there is noice at higher ISO but I used 200, 400, 800 fairly well. I did try to avoid 1600 as it was noisy!

Most reactions

Back