Nikon D40 vs Pentax ist DS vs Canon 300d.

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which one of these cameras is the biggest, and which one do you recommend? Lets say the pentax is the cheapest, next the cannon, and the most expensive is the D40. I would really like something small, because I will be taking these cameras on hiking trips, and I don't want something weighing me down. Also, lets assume all of them are using their kit lens.

Yeah I think the D40 is the smallest as well. I hike with my D80 and D300 myself.

I'm not sure which to get. I think I can get the canon for the cheapest, or at least around the cost of the Pentax. I really want a D40, but I cant find it within my price range. The Pentax has very good and cheap lenses, and I can get a protection plan with it. I think the pentax is my best bet, but I really like the look of the canon. What camera would be better?

Up to $350 for body and lens.

Given that the nikon D40 is 2-3 years newer than the other two, there is most likely an unfair technological advantage.... Don't think a D40 is obtainable within your $350 budget.

I realize that. The body alone is $350. However, I want to know if the d40 is really worth waiting and saving up more money. The pentax looks like my best bet, however it looks just way too big. But, it takes SD memory, and has good lenses for cheap. I really like how the canon looks and feels (I have used a friend's before), and I have not felt or even seen a pentax in real life, and the ist ds is discontinued. Does the Pentax have anything more than the canon in terms of image quality?

Definately save for the D40

the 300D is practically an ancient camera now, its like 6 years old?

not sure about the Pentax but the D40 defiantely seems worth saving for.

EDIT* just looked on ebay for just under $350 you can get a used Nikon D70 which would mean you would have a larger variety of older lenses to chose from, thus saving you money!

I realize that. The body alone is $350. However, I want to know if the d40 is really worth waiting and saving up more money.

Any of the currently line cameras... whether it is a Nikon, Canon, or Pentax will be better than older versions of DSLR.

The pentax looks like my best bet, however it looks just way too big. But, it takes SD memory, and has good lenses for cheap.

Pentax big? What gave you that idea.? The pentax is pretty darn compact.... it is just a tiny bit larger in size than the D40. We are talking 1-2mm here and there and less than 100g weight... you are really spliting hairs at that point. The weight difference in the Pentax is due to the fact that it was designed to take standard sized AA batteries instead of the compact li-ion batteries. IMO, this is an advantage for someone on the go.... AA batteries can be found ANYWHERE.

I really like how the canon looks and feels (I have used a friend's before), and I have not felt or even seen a pentax in real life, and the ist ds is discontinued. Does the Pentax have anything more than the canon in terms of image quality?

Honestly... if you like the Canon, you should just choose Canon. As most will tell you here, purchasing a personal choice with no right/wrong or best/bad. All the cameras in the market will keep 90% of the photographers out there happy. The differences in final print usually ends up being the skills of the person behind the camera.

I shoot with Canon and the Samsung twin of the Pentax *ist. Neither has yet to disappoint. The Samsung was purchased from a pawn shop as I wanted to try out my collection of manual K-mount lenses and M42 screwmounts on a digital body.

Pentax big? What gave you that idea.? The pentax is pretty darn compact.... it is just a tiny bit larger in size than the D40. We are talking 1-2mm here and there and less than 100g weight... you are really spliting hairs at that point. The weight difference in the Pentax is due to the fact that it was designed to take standard sized AA batteries instead of the compact li-ion batteries.

Oh, then maybe I am wrong. I just saw some videos on youtube, and it looks quite big in comparison with the D40 or the Canon. However, if it really is pretty much the same size as the D40, then maybe I should reconsider.

I just want to be sure about which camera, because I will not be upgrading the body any time soon.

PS: I've also seen a Canon 350d XT, however it has a CMOS sensor. I have heard that CMOS sensors are not as sensitive as CCD sensors. Is the difference miniscule, or is it something I should consider when buying?

EDIT* just looked on ebay for just under $350 you can get a used Nikon D70 which would mean you would have a larger variety of older lenses to chose from, thus saving you money!

A D70 for $350? I have never seen a D70 for $350 on ebay. I haven't even seen a D70 body for that much.

I hear the D70 is/was a good camera..... just be aware that it is a camera that is larger than the D40. Just pointing it out since you seem concerned about overall size/weight.

A D70 would be great, however I don't know where to find it at a reasonable price.

I did find a Pentax IST dl. It is supposedly lighter and smaller with a larger LCD, however it lacks some of the AF modes that the ds has. It seems like a good buy.

You also have to be aware that these cameras are only rated for a certain number of shutter actuations. Buying one of these old, used digital SLRs is a risk since you might be buying one that is far beyond or close to its rated shutter actuation life. Repairing a broken shutter wouldn't be fun if you're trying to save money. I would try to stay away from the 300D, especially, for this reason since it is the oldest of these cameras.

Most reactions

Back