Nikon D5000

I'm dissapointed in Nikon. They seem to be more interested in satisfying the needs of soccer moms than the photographers that have been with them for years. Entry level buyers are screwed either way. If they go Nikon, they get a plastic toy with only a DX sensor, a screen and a lens mount and no other important features. If they go Canon, they must put up with the brick-like erganomics of canon's rebel series.

Nikon should seriously get real. I had a budget, and the only camera that fit my needs was an oudated one (D70). If they had half the brains I think they have they'd make a $500 body to suit photographers, not MWACs and soccer moms.

i wouldn't go that far. i am dissapointed they felt the need to satisfy the "all-in-one" market with a DSLR/Video. they should have been inovative and created a new product that combined decent AUTO photo taking with decent video quality. however, Nikon still caters to the true photographer. it's not like Nikon has skimped on photographic technology and quality to add the video and other gadgetty features.

I'm dissapointed in Nikon. They seem to be more interested in satisfying the needs of soccer moms than the photographers that have been with them for years. Entry level buyers are screwed either way. If they go Nikon, they get a plastic toy with only a DX sensor, a screen and a lens mount and no other important features. If they go Canon, they must put up with the brick-like erganomics of canon's rebel series.

Nikon should seriously get real. I had a budget, and the only camera that fit my needs was an oudated one (D70). If they had half the brains I think they have they'd make a $500 body to suit photographers, not MWACs and soccer moms
THIS

however, Nikon still caters to the true photographer.
Since "true photographers" are often poor saps like me who can't afford a D300, I have to disagree :lol:

You know what I'd buy? A camera with a 6MP DX sensor, dedicated WB/ISO/QUAL/AF/AF-area/METER/DRV controls, in-body focus motor, DOF preview, CLS control, center-weighted and spot metering for non-CPU lenses (matrix metering isn't too important with manual focus), no idiot-modes (MASP only), 11 AF points and MUP for around $730 CAD. Nikon could certainly do it and they'd sell a boat-load.

Last edited:
Soccer mom is a hugh market especially compare to dedicated professional photographers. It would be smart that Nikon satisfy their need also. Dedicated control for white balance, af, and metering and things like that is not important to most people,. It's important to too few people to make it a worth while investment for Nikon. Now those who make their living out of photography wouldn't mind spending an extra 1000 dollar on their equipments since they get good return on their investment. Nikon make D3, D700, and D300 for those people. Oh yeah and the super expensive D3X. The D5000 provide good image quality but also have to have features that appeal to soccer moms. I doubt that the majority of the people that buy entry level DSLR really have a clue what manual mode is....they might pick it up later on but there are tons that wouldn't care to know. So if you're an amateur photographer who don't make money from it like myself, there won't be a cheap camera with dedicated controls that sacrifice soccer mom features. Not enough people would be interested.

Since "true photographers" are often poor saps like me who can't afford a D300, I have to disagree :lol:

You know what I'd buy? A camera with a 6MP DX sensor, dedicated WB/ISO/QUAL/AF/AF-area/METER/DRV controls, in-body focus motor, DOF preview, CLS control, center-weighted and spot metering for non-CPU lenses (matrix metering isn't too important with manual focus), no idiot-modes (MASP only), 11 AF points and MUP for around $730 CAD. Nikon could certainly do it and they'd sell a boat-load.

so you want a D90 but a little cheaper. well, to get those things you have to pay for them. going back to what i said about Nikon catering to the photographer... yes the D90 has the soccer mom appeal, but pretend it didn't. if it was just a new D80 with advanced tech and no additional "features" do you think it would be any cheaper? no. so i see it as they've added these stupid features that i'll never use but at least this camera still exists in it's original price range. i think the alternative is eliminating the D80/D90 class and only manufacturing the D5000 type and the D300 with nothing in between.

i would actually rather see that. lower the price a little on the D300 class introduce a consumer FX between the D300 and D700 and get rid of the D90.

i'm rambling.

Oh boy, if some of you guy's had your way we'd still be painting bison on cave walls.

I really don't see the problem with having a movie mode on a DSLR. In fact for certain areas of proffesional photography (journalism for instance) I see it as a distinct advantage.

Why complain about new features if they don't affect the quality of what you want to use the camera for?

Live view and movie mode were all natural progressions of the technology.

And for all of you arguing that you don't want to pay for these new features can I suggest you quickly buy a D300/700/3/3x before these models are replaced with the new models that have all of the features you don't want.

i highly doubt anything above the D90 will have anything like movie mode. live view maybe. i could be wrong though.

my only complaint about live view and movie mode is that they have dedicated controls that could be used for something else. plus, the development cost could have gone towards something else as well.

IMO, for the "soccer mom" audience, something like a P90 is where that focus should be.

so you want a D90 but a little cheaper.
No. I'm fine with the D40's sensor, so there's big wad of cash removed the price right there. I and don't care for the live view or movie capture.

The answer for me right now is probably the D200, but it can't be found new in Canada.

Why complain about new features if they don't affect the quality of what you want to use the camera for?
Because I don't want to pay for the R&D and man-hours put into making these useless features.

Live view and movie mode were all natural progressions of the technology.
Wrong.

The whole point of an SLR is that you're looking through GROUND GLASS, not some laggy LCD screen. Until camera makers can find a way around those pesky laws of physics, looking through the viewfinder to compose and shoot will always be better than live view.

As for movie, this is a STILL CAMERA. If you want a movie camera, get a camcorder. I can understand the appeal of video recording on an SLR for the DOF control, but the implementation of movie on SLRs, right now, is pure crap.

A dedicated video capture camera that had DX-sized sensor, could accept F-mount lenses and had vastly better manual exposure control than the D90/D5000... now that would be interesting.

But, please, Nikon, keep these things separate. Cameras needn't go the way of the cell phone, which is used these days to do everything other than phoning. The more useless crap that gets added into a camera, the more useless crap there is to distract me from actually making good photos.

...the development cost could have gone towards something else as well.
I wholly agree.

Last edited:
epp_b said:

My criteria were pretty much the same as yours, and the D200 was the closest I can find. Best Buy won't ship to Canada? You should make some friends south of the border. Though it's still a jumbled, complicated mess, it's as close to my 35mm SLRs as I think I'll ever get. Other than the high ISO performance, it's a fantastic camera even today when it's apparently dinosaur technology.

I am still waiting for someone to come out with the K1000 of the digital age. Solid build, basic functionality, no gimmicks (I'm looking at you, live view, and your buddy the video feature).

Best Buy won't ship to Canada?
Not sure. I actually live near the border and have access to physical and PO box addresses in the US.

But... $599 * 1.2 (today's exchange) * 1.12 (Canadian taxes) = $805. Add onto that whatever duties the border officer tries to rape me for. Still, not a bad deal.

However, I wouldn't get the no-additional-papers-needed Canadian two-year warranty and if I ever need to invoke the warranty, I have to ship it back and forth from the US, which is a real pain.

Though it's still a jumbled, complicated mess
Really? How so?

I am still waiting for someone to come out with the K1000 of the digital age
Yup, or Nikon FE/FG/etc.

i wouldn't go that far. i am dissapointed they felt the need to satisfy the "all-in-one" market with a DSLR/Video. they should have been inovative and created a new product that combined decent AUTO photo taking with decent video quality. however, Nikon still caters to the true photographer. it's not like Nikon has skimped on photographic technology and quality to add the video and other gadgetty features.

I was expecting a D90 like camera, or at least a camera that was in between the D300 and D700. I wouldn't have been able to afford one, but at least its reviews would make an interesting read. I'm upset because especially after the D40 and D60, they feel they need another camera that further closes the gap between DSLR and P&S. If their goal was to produce a decent photographic tool, they would've remade the D50 or D70.

Really? How so?

Well, my 35mm SLRs are more of the K1000/KR-5/XD-5 variety as opposed to the F90/F6 variety, so there's a lot more complexity. It would be (virtually) impossible to make a digital SLR as simple to operate as a K1000.

Once you learn the layout for the many switches, buttons, and wheels, the D200 is very intuitive. I think it would be a huge step from a D40 (it was from my K100D) just in terms of usability. Who decided an SLR with one wheel was a good idea?

Now those who make their living out of photography wouldn't mind spending an extra 1000 dollar on their equipments since they get good return on their investment. Nikon make D3, D700, and D300 for those people. Oh yeah and the super expensive D3X. The D5000 provide good image quality but also have to have features that appeal to soccer moms. .

The fact is, the D5000 lacks many of the features valuable to the true photographer. The soccer moms had their two cameras, the D40 and D60. I am fully aware that "Nikon make" plenty of professional cameras and that the D5000 "provide good image quality". However, good image quality is not nearly enough for a good photographer. Like I said, Nikon should make a camera for a serious photographer that's on a budget. Not tiny plastic swivel screen camera.

Like I said, Nikon should make a camera for a serious photographer that's on a budget.
THIS.

That's exactly the point I've been trying make, I just couldn't figure out how to summarize it like that. Especially with the boom in photography as a hobby that digital cameras have caused, a camera for "serious amateurs on a budget" is exactly what Nikon needs to make, and they need to make it now if they want to capture the huge market.

They need to make what is basically a lightened D200 with a 6mp sensor and updated firmware.

The fact is, the D5000 lacks many of the features valuable to the true photographer. The soccer moms had their two cameras, the D40 and D60. I am fully aware that "Nikon make" plenty of professional cameras and that the D5000 "provide good image quality". However, good image quality is not nearly enough for a good photographer. Like I said, Nikon should make a camera for a serious photographer that's on a budget. Not tiny plastic swivel screen camera.

You just repeated everything I say. The D5000 is not intended for serious photographer on a budget, it's another camera gear toward soccer mom along with the D40 and D60. Heck, even the D90 is gear toward this crowd, I've seen plenty of D70 and D80 that stay mostly on auto mode. And yes, the D5000 lacked alot of stuff that you prefered if you're serious about photography but the soccer don't really care. There are plenty of soccer mom out there that could afford this kind of things so why not market it to them. I understand that there is market of dedicated photographer who are on a budget or don't see their camera as financial investment the way the pro do. It would be ideal for alot of us if they do this, but there isn't a big enough market for Nikon to bother with. They would have to sell alot to keep the prices down and they probably can't do it without the support of soccer mom. So you either pay alot and share your camera with the pros or pay a little and share it with soccer mom. Or you can just buy the D200. You don't see sport car out there that is purpose built for the track, they gonna need their AC, radio, and power window if want to sell it the average person.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back