Nikon D5100 and Non VR lens

kav4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a newbie for DSLR cameras. Can I please know that is it possible to use Non VR lens with Nikon D5100 camera & also will it be auto focus correctly?

VR doesn't have anything specific to do with focusing, "VR" stands for Vibration Reduction and is Nikon's version of optical stabilization. You can use non-VR lenses on the D5100 however you will, obviously, not have any stabilization. With short focal lengths this is seldom a problem but as focal length increases so do the advantages of having stabilization.

The D5100 does not have a built-in focusing motor so if you want autofocus you will have to purchase lenses that have the autofocus motor built into the lens.

I'm a newbie for DSLR cameras. Can I please know that is it possible to use Non VR lens with Nikon D5100 camera & also will it be auto focus correctly?

Kav,

As Scraig explained VR (Which is referred to as VC (Vibration compensation) by Tamron or OS (Optical Stabilization) by Sigma is just a system designed to reduce camera shake when you take pictures. I think if I understand your question correctly you'd like to know which lenses will actually autofocus on a D5100. Since the D5100 does not have an autofocus motor built into the body, if you want to be able to autofocus you'll need a lens with a built in focus motor. If the lens is made by Nikon, your looking for an AF-S lens. Sigma will designate lenses with built in motors with the abbreviation HSM. Tamron I think usually uses the designator PZD.

Nikon lenses that need an autofocus motor in the camera, which is not present in Nikons entry level DSLRs, the D3x00 and D5x00 cameras, are named "AF" instead of "AF-S".

There are also "AI" and "AI-S" lenses which are purely manual on any Nikon camera.

The Nikon entry level D3x00 and D5x00 cameras have a rather poor viewfinder. I tried to manually focus with my D5100 and it didnt worked. My D600 however has a much better viewfinder and I can manually focus with it, if I want to.

in short,
make sure you buy "G" series lenses that have "AF-S" which identifies the lens built in focus motor.

now that I think about it ... i'm questioning myself if all G are also AF-S ?? as I have mostly AF-D, AI & AI-S type lenses.

in short,
make sure you buy "G" series lenses that have "AF-S" which identifies the lens built in focus motor.

now that I think about it ... i'm questioning myself if all G are also AF-S ?? as I have mostly AF-D, AI & AI-S type lenses.

I'm sure some hyper technical anal retentive type will wander in and clarify it down to the gnats butt, if nothing else just for the joy of making themselves look smart.. I mean it's not like that level of minutia does a thing to help the OP - lol

Thanks guys for all the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back