Nikon D5500 mirror lock

Graham Smith 51

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone found out how to lock up the mirror on the D5500 before shooting, to reduce vibration in cases where it might be important, such as slow shutter speeds? I can't find anything in the manuals. Does LV do it properly?

Live View locks up the mirror.

Joe

But when I try live view it locks up the mirror until you press the shutter button then the mirror comes back down for AF/Metering and then back up ? Isn't that the case ?

I was trying Live View last night and it was driving me nuts with the pause and then more mirror movement .. at least that's what it seemed like.
such as this example ==>

Last edited:
The d3x00 and d5x00 do not have MUP - Mirror Lock UP.
The d7x00 and above have this feature.

Ah, but the D5500 DOES have it! I eventually found it in the manual, because it's called "Exposure Delay"
You go to Menu -- Custom settings -- d - Display/Shooting -- Exposure delay mode. Set this to "on" and when you press the shutter (or use a remote release) the shutter is released approximately 1 sec after the mirror flips up. It took me a while to find it, because the words "mirror lock" don't appear in the literature except in the context of sensor cleaning.

So - sorted! Thanks anyway.

But when I try live view it locks up the mirror until you press the shutter button then the mirror comes back down for AF/Metering and then back up ? Isn't that the case ?

I was trying Live View last night and it was driving me nuts with the pause and then more mirror movement .. at least that's what it seemed like.
such as this example ==>

Ouch! Why the bleep do they need to drop the mirror back down? Just close and activate the shutter -- really dumb.

Joe

Been trying out the exposure delay mode, and it really works. Just go to Menu --> Custom Settings--> (d) Shooting/Display --> Exposure delay mode --> select "ON". Press the shutter, up flips the mirror, then a second later, the shutter fires. Easy peasy, no mirror shock during exposure. Just the job for longer exposures, and since there's this delay between pressing the shutter and the shot being taken, there's no real need for a remote release. I take a lot of shots of small models that I make and since I need a good depth of field, I need a longer exposure (with the camera on a tripod, of course) and this set-up works fine.
I would never have found it, though, if I hadn't spotted on a Digital Photography School tutorial the note that Nikon call this feature "Exposure Delay".

I've reproduced here the relevant bit from the manual:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,195
Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back