Nikon Df

Posted the same thing in four different threads when you already answered your own question in the post itself.

I am wondering which kidney I will sell to buy the DF, its what I have been wanting in a DSLR from the beginning...

I am wondering which kidney I will sell to buy the DF, its what I have been wanting in a DSLR from the beginning...

Well probably both, your going to need a nice bag for it after all. One thing though, if you go that route best get overnight shipping.. lol

Bjorn Rorslett, a noted Nikon expert, got to handle and shoot the Df at the official Nikon launch for the "Nikon Nordic" region in Europe. There's a 20-page thread over on Nikongear.com about the camera, and his impressions from actually SHOOTING the camera are sprinkled throughout the thread. I read through it last night...

According to Bjorn, with the Df he was able to accurately focus the 50mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, as well as the 35mm f/1.4 manual focus lenses EASILY, and with a high "keeper" percentage, based on photos he actually shot. He figured that since the camera was allegedly designed to work well with manual focus lenses, that he should bring a few of his literally, hundreds, of lenses, to the official opening in his region.

He mentions a few things, one of the most important being that this camera's viewfinder is MUCH BETTER than the one in the D800 or D800e, with better ability to see the entire viewfinder area edge-to-edge even while wearing his eyeglasses. It will be about two weeks until Nikon's Nordic office delivers his camera for review, but he was extremely pleased with the ability of the viewfinder and screen and eyepiece system to deliver a bight and crisp and easily-seen view, as well as the optimization efforts Nikon has made toward focusing this thing by hand-and-eye. In the thread are some mentions about possible prism coatings and optical modifications, the ocular lens of the eyepiece perhaps being designed with aspherical elements that might improve the view, and so on. He stated repeatedly and emphatically that the viewfinder image is BETTER than that of the D800 or D800e, and stated that it categorically is NOT the "same" viewfinder system as is used in the D4.

He stated that the camera's operation is very easy for a person who understands how the camera is designed. He used the phrase, the "operation is trivial", meaning very easy and straightforward.

Impressions of the Nikon Df - Editor's Forum - Nikongear.com

I know of Borjn but I hadn't seen that thread, I'll have to read through it.

UK price for the 50 mm kit ( only available option) is £2749.99 ($ 4400)

It started before digital Nikon's last two pro film slrs look nearly identical to modern digital slrs. Blame computer aided design not the switch to digital.

I gladly blame CAD. The modern camera is so much more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than their ancestors. I'm not one for form over function. I look at the bottom of this camera and I not so fondly remember the red marks I got on the bottom of my hand when using the Nikon FE without the motor drive. Usually that's the only reason I had the motor drive, so my camera had an actual handle.

Please help me understand. What in this camera has such appeal?

He stated that the camera's operation is very easy for a person who understands how the camera is designed. He used the phrase, the "operation is trivial", meaning very easy and straightforward.

I wonder if this is a generation thing. I agree with him. The old days of every option on the camera on a click wheel at the top were fantastic for understanding. But I wonder how the newer generation who grew up on "hold button and turn one of 2 wheels" will take to this design.

It started before digital Nikon's last two pro film slrs look nearly identical to modern digital slrs. Blame computer aided design not the switch to digital.

I gladly blame CAD. The modern camera is so much more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than their ancestors. I'm not one for form over function. I look at the bottom of this camera and I not so fondly remember the red marks I got on the bottom of my hand when using the Nikon FE without the motor drive. Usually that's the only reason I had the motor drive, so my camera had an actual handle.

I wonder if this is a generation thing. I agree with him. The old days of every option on the camera on a click wheel at the top were fantastic for understanding. But I wonder how the newer generation who grew up on "hold button and turn one of 2 wheels" will take to this design.

If they can figure out you have to press up down up down left right right left ctrl button up to tear a guy's spine out, I think they'll somehow be able to master the dial system.. lol

I will tell why this camera has such appeal, I grew up shooting an F, then F2 and FM/FM2. I love the look and feel , the heft and the control layout. I said for years on end that if Nikon brought a camera that had that feel and look but was a DSLR it would be a success and I predict this to be. There are many such as myself who have learned to use the newer system and yes the thumb wheels have their advantages, but still I love being able to actually operate a shutter speed knob and manipulate the aperture ring on a lens. Is it a better system ? No just different and one I am very familiar with, plus all the other modes are there. So if program is needed by all means use it. The DF most certainly fills a hole in the market that has been missing , the fact it will work better with AI S lenses is just icing on the cake.

If they can figure out you have to press up down up down left right right left ctrl button up to tear a guy's spine out, I think they'll somehow be able to master the dial system.. lol

No sir, it's: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select, start before the logo loads. +30 lives FTW

No sir, it's: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, select, start before the logo loads. +30 lives FTW

Lol.. well when I have to tear a guy's spine out I do it the old school way..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back