Nikon Digital help please!

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Ok, let's say that I might, just, consider buying a digital SLR and converting to the world of instant gratification. The thought alarms me considerably just typing this, after my last two digital disasters - Olympus C60 and Sony Mavica (floppy-disk-tastic).

But, as Matt said, I'm getting the arse with lab monkeys and getting everything on CD anyway, so..... maybe....

Anyway, enough prevarication, here's some questions you lovely people might be able to answer:

1) I've got loads of Nikon prime lenses, so the obvious incentive is to use them on it. I understand the smaller sensor increases the effective magnification, but by how much, also, is the light affected by a number of stops as well?

2) Will the camera's light meter work with the prime lenses? They are all old-fashioned Nikkor manual lenses: f1.2 50mm, f2.8 20mm, f1.8 100mm, f2.8 180mm

3) Can I therefore set the aperture on the lens and just take a picture normally as I would with my F3?

4) Should I just get the body, in light of the above lenses, or is it worth getting the kit lens as well? It's a difference of £200 in the UK, and it doesn't look like a £200 bit of glass.

5) Is the d70s £150 better than the d50? I can't seem to see much difference in the paper spec. Also the D100 is £400 more, is there much justification for the extra for an amateur?

Thanks in advance for the usual good advice.

Rob

1) Your autofocus primes should work. The crop factor is 1.6, so a 50mm lense turns into a 80mm. The light is not affected by this, the maximum aperture stays the same.

2.) I don't think the light meter will work with the manual lenses. To be sure I would just write Nikon a mail.

3.) see 2)

4.) I would say go to a shop and try it. Take a shot with the kit lense and a shot with a 50mm prime and see the difference for yourself.

5.) Again, thats up to you. Compare the differences side by side on dpreview and then go to a shop, take some test shots and see and feel the differences for yourself. I think there are few differences (for example no depth of filed preview on D50) that would make spending the £150 worthwhile.

It's my understanding all AI and AIS Nikkor lenses will work with the D70 et.al. It's also my understanding the light meter will not work with these lenses. If your really serious about jumping into a DSLR I would recommend purchasing a book (for me it was Magic Lantern's D70) on the camera your thinking of buying. I did on the D70 and the book was worth every penny. There are some important issues one doesn't have with a 35mm SLR.

Daniel said:
1) The crop factor is 1.6, so a 50mm lense turns into a 80mm.

No. That isn't correct. 1.6 is the crop factor for Canon. The nikon digitals are 1.5 crop factor...Ok it's not a huge difference but it may make some :)

There are two types of kit lens on a D70: a cheap 28-80mm lens or the standard 18-70mm lens. The 18-70mm is a very good lens and would cost you £279 if you bought it separately so it's worth getting as part of the kit.

Thanks for the help all.

My big issue really is my MF primes - if they don't work then I might as well not bother with this train as I could choose from any of the dSLR packages on offer. I really need to know what will happen when I put a bit of fully manual glass on the front. If it won't get an exposure reading, or perhaps even take a picture, then I'm stuffed.

Rob

From what I understand from reading about the D70, the full manual lenses will allow you to take a picture, but won't let you meter. Although I guess you could always meter by trial-and-error, since you won't be wasting any film by taking a shot and you will be able to see the results instantly.

Yeah, you don't get any metering with the D70, which is an unfortunate move on nikon's part.

I know canon's EOS/EF mount accepts nikon lenses with an adaptor. The adaptor is just a metal ring and gives you infinity focus too... So you'd get metering and Av mode will work no problem. So you may consider a canon DSLR body if you still want to use the glass you have.

You'll find it really hard to focus accurately though. :grumpy: And canon cheapened out and you can't change the viewfinders except in the top cameras.

But some people installed the contax focusing screen in there, and got the split circle that way. I'll do it soon too. :wink:

Hope you make the right choice for yourself.

Most reactions

Back