Nikon Digital to Film

Nekoism

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of moving partially away from digital onto film. I am looking at the F100 because I hear it's a good camera. I looked at the F6, while it's nice I don't think I am ready for that yet (I'd rather spend my money on glass). I am also getting really interested in finding older lenses to use with it.

I have two lenses that I want to use with the F100, 50mm f/1.8 AF, and 60mm Micro-Nikkor f/2.8 AF can I use these? I also have a kit lens that came with my D70s, but it's a DX so I won't be using it.

Also do you know of any retailer that has a new or really good used condition camera? I'm not really trusting of ebay (got scammed once, left a sour taste in my mouth).

As for film, I am looking to find some film that can provide excellent color saturation and contrast. Also how long can I keep film the fridge and would the freezer be the best place to store it for long periods?

Last question, I hear that photographers send their film to be developed at certain locations(professional developing?) can someone provide me one that they are comfortable with that I can send to? I live in southern california.

I am not 100% locked into getting a F100 so if there is a different nikon (that can use the 50mm and 60mm) please explain the differences, and if you have any tips for shooting with film please share.

Thanks! :hug::

i have the 100 and the 90 . They are both great cameras and i find it hard to believe you would out grow them , as they are in the pro range .

Check KEH.com, they have a great reputation.

Film will keep in the freezer for years, take it out several hours before using so that condensation will not create issues.

I can't help you with labs as i do all my own work.

Using slide film is similar to digital.
those lenses should work on the F100, while your kit lens may create issues.

Just find a photo lab close to your house a drop it off. Most photo labs do professional work, and its a lot faster and cheaper than mailing it back and forth.

The two primes will work beautifully on the F100. The kit zoom will work but you lose control of the aperture, you will have to shoot at f22, and the image circle doesn't completely fill the frame. I use my 18-70 on my F801 once and a while for effect.

The F100 is an excellent choice. Just to give you an idea on pricing I got a "like new" one (with box, instruction booklet, etc.) on Ebay a few months ago, including an MB-15 auxiliary battery pack, for around $430. I also have an FE2, but I've hardly used that since I got the F100.

One thing that I really like about the F100 is that it will use the 'D' series lenses (like your 50 and 60mm) as well as older manual focus AI and AIS lenses (of which I have quite a few). The only differences with the latter are that you have to adjust the aperture on the lens rather than with the camera dial, and you can't see the actual f-stop through the viewfinder. I point this out because many of these older MF lenses can be purchased quite inexpensively, and therefore would allow you to expand your horizons without breaking the bank.

You will love the F100!

it is funny, i am leaving my f100 to go digital! i have used the f100 for about 7 years, and i love it! it is a great camera....go for it.

If you had thought about a F6, have you looked at/held a F5? I've never shot the F100, but have a couple F5's and love them. If you don't mind manual focus bodies, I think the best camera out there is the F3. Without the MD4 motor drive it's small,still has a removable prism finder to shoot waist level and lower and it a heck of a deal when you find one that hasn't been abused. With the motor it's about the same size as the F5 and is fast. Just thought I'd give you a couple more options.

Hell yeah thanks for the replies!

I am most likely to get the F100 so I am going to bite the bullet and see if I can find a deal on eBay. If not then KEH it is.

I like to shoot with everything manual. So the more control I have over the way the camera operates the better it is for me.

Oh man dinodan, now that you mention old lenses I'm going to have fun hunting then down.

Is there a type of film that people regualrly shoot with or will any brand do?

Thanks again for all your replies.

which film becomes a personal decision. The major players all make good films. Kodak, Ilford , Fuji .

What types of images, lighting etc. will all play a part in deciding film types and speeds.

If you have never used film before, get a few short rolls, i.e. 20 expsoures. Experiment. There is no one perfect film. All have a place for specific conditions, and your vision.

For instance, i only use black and white film, may be 1 roll of color a year and i am about 5 years behind with the color.

I like to shoot with everything manual. So the more control I have over the way the camera operates the better it is for me.

That being the case, you just might want to consider an older "manual" camera, like an FE, FE2, FA, etc.

These will use your D series lenses just fine (manual focus, of course), and all the older lenses as well.

Of course, the F100 will allow you to do it all manually as well.

Just a thought... and I happen to have a mint condition FE2 gathering dust on a shelf...

I like to shoot with everything manual.

My favorite Nikon SLR is the FM2n. Small, metal, all manual exposure, 1/250th flash sync, and works without batteries. It's everything I need in a 35mm SLR, with nothing I don't need.

Thanks for all the replies...

But to bring closure to this thread, I mentioned to an uncle of mine that I wanted to get into film photography and he gave me his old Yashica D which he acquired in the late 70's (he used it to photgraph his family vacations).

I went to a local camera shop and picked up some expired 120 film for me to experiment with. I still plan on investing in a 35mm film camera but for now I'm gonna have some fun with this camera.

I bought an N80 a few days ago, and it's basically a plastic, slower F100. It handles much like the D70. I use my N80 with my 24-120VR and I'm just loving it!

Most reactions

Back