Nikon Wide Angle

maxbennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry, the numbers on my keyboard don't work, due to stupid friends who break things. Anyhoo, I'm looking into getting the Nikon fourteen mm two point eight. I've been hearing from different people that it doesn't work very well on a digital sensor, and on the edges you'll be losing some detail and light. I don't really buy this because I've also heard that this lens was designed for digital [but not specifically because it's not DX and will work on film]. Does anyone have this lens? If so, could you PLEASE pm me or email me? I need to see an image from it so I can see for myself. I don't need anyone to TELL me wether or not it works, I work at a camera shop and have a lot of sorces, all who tell me different things.

So yeah, if you've got this lens, I would be greatful to get a sample shot [full rez] so I can see if it's worth the one and a half grand.

Thanks[exclamation mark]

-Max

I used to have one. It isn't quite up to the standards of the 18mm 2.8 but it is excellent as superwides go. I thought it had excessive corner stretching and a tiny bit of wavy line distortion. Contrast is excellent. It is designed for 35mm cameras. 14mm on a digital is like a 20 or 24mm wide angle is on a 35mm camera. If you work in a camera shop, you should know these things. Take care.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Would it be too much to ask to see a shot from it?

And in my defense, as far as working in a camera shop, I don't know this because we've never carried this lens. I mean I've got info about it and I know all the specs on it but I want to see it for myself, which is what I'm doing now. Just because I work there doesn't mean I automatically know everything about every lens.

no, but u shuld know about the 1.6 crop factor.

One point five, actually. One point six is Canon.

...not to be a snob.

The reason I'm wondering this is because I plan on using the lens on both my D-two hundred and my FE [and, in case a full frame Nikon comes out, that, too]. I mean I could go with the Nikon twelve-twenty four, and not have to worry about vignietting [spelling?] and loss of detail, because it's designed for digital. But it's DX so when you put it on a film body, you'll get more than vignietting, but a black border, and your square image in the center. I have also been considering the Sigma twelve-twenty four, because it's designed for both film and digital, but on digital, the edges are soft - I know this because I've used the lens a fair bit. SO, the reason I'm wondering about the fourteen two eight is because it should technically work on both without any problems. But before I spend the money, I want to see for myself.

i'm very curious about this as well . . . i'm thinking about buying the 12-24,
so ditto for me if anyone has it.
i've heard mixed reviews about it.

and max, i know a guy who thinks the 14 is great . . . but thats all i remember hearing from him about it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back