shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
FB_IMG_1498408576269.jpg
I bought this lens "new/old stock" boxed, with original caps/hood, etc...
$190.00 total shipped. I'm honestly in love with it.
Wide open at F3.5 the corners aren't sharp. At F5.6 they're sharp enough. At F8, they're perfect.
17mm on FX is pretty darn wide. To get this wide for under $200.00 is awesome.
It's on par with the Nikon 20mm F2.8D, I would say.
It's not as good as the Nikon 20mm F1.8G. I owned that lens before, and it's better.
But at this price, I'm keeping this Tokina.

Great snag! I've had one since 1999 and I've used it on my F3 in manual mode, and on my F5. I've never used it a anything but f8, and above. Mine shows the same softness on the edges.

It's a great prime lens, and it stays in my bag along with my 20 and 24 f2.8 Nikkors.

YES!!!! A lens like this? I think that at f/8 is where it needs to be good! Looks quite adequate....maybe not Zeiss-grade, but also not $1,899 either!!!

I hear that! At F5.6 it's honestly fine. F8 it's great. But yes, wide open at F3.5, my copy, the lower corners aren't sharp. Outside of that, for $190.00 brand new/old stock, it's a steal.

Looks like you got a deal. Less than those SamRokiViv lenses. And I would surmise much better build quality as well. I like the Tokina lenses that I do have.

Looks like you got a deal. Less than those SamRokiViv lenses. And I would surmise much better build quality as well. I like the Tokina lenses that I do have.
Build quality is crazy nice. It's funky looking "old style" but it's built like a tank. It's on par with my Nikon 70-200 to be honest.

Build quality is crazy nice. It's funky looking "old style" but it's built like a tank. It's on par with my Nikon 70-200 to be honest.

Actually they have a very Nikon f/2.8 feel to them. I also describe Tokina's as built like a tank.

I have an older MF 300mm f/2.8 of theirs that I got used long ago. I still pull it out every now and then. Being able to enter the lens info and getting metering. Still works pretty good on them with focus confirmation. Though the focusing on it needs a light touch. It's not worth much for trade or selling value. So, I will just keep it in the collection.

on a buying spree recently ?
70-300 and this 17mm now.

on a buying spree recently ?
70-300 and this 17mm now.

I know, right... I did want the 17mm because I didn't own anything super wide. But the Tamron? I didn't even want it. I didn't need it. But, hell of a deal and great for travel, because I'm too lazy to take my 70-200 on trips. It's fat!

I've been looking for a AF WA around this price range... interesting. your examples look great.

I've been looking for a AF WA around this price range... interesting. your examples look great.

I paid $190.00 I think, for mine, total shipped. It was a seller on eBay with a solid rating. It came "new" old-stock, complete with everything. I'm happy with it.
It's at least the quality for the Nikon AF 20mm F2.8FD (use to own it), but not as awesome as the Nikon 20mm 1.8G (use to own it).
For under $200.00 it's fantastic.
I didn't want to drop big money on ultra wide for I don't "go there" enough, but love owning one, when I do.

Oh, it communicates perfectly with my D800, so you'd be fine as well. Transfers all the shooting information in the image files, etc...

I'll post a few more sample shots I took with it.
Some solar flare with direct sun shots. But not bad.

Last edited:
If you're shooting landscapes and architecture, who needs AF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back