No More Texting While Driving in NC

Hahaha :D I love these over the top violent clips for road safety, this one reminds me of that other one years ago where the girls legs get crushed between the car and the wall.

Obviously texting is even worth than just normally being on the phone since you need to look at what you are typing...

Well I hope that this commercial if you can call it that, has some impact on youth drivers....

It was interested as I read the current issue of Reader's Digest. I believe it was an actual article on texting and just other distractiong while driving. I don't have that issue right in front of me, but it talked about how the government knew texting was getting - well it has always been dangerous I guess - was back in 2003, but they didn't want to do anything. Some 5,000 people died from phone related injuries (not particularly but just talking, texting, IMing, etc)

I think it's odd though that the government waited so long if it was so dangerous to them?

~Michael~

Who do you mean by "the government"? The federal government? It's not their job to make local driving laws. That's a right reserved for state government, and each state must do that themselves. Sure, the federal government can threaten to withhold highway funds, like they did back when they pushed a 55mph national speed limit, but in the end, it's still a state or local law.

The point I'm trying to make is, why was it a ban on texting and not someone putting make up on while driving, or eating while driving. Pretty soon, we won't be able to drive at all for fear of getting caught doing something against the law.

I agree with you. They should ban anything that has nothing to do with driving. And that includes hands-free phones. Of course, unless they actually ticket people, it will make no difference.

When you are driving, you should be driving ONLY. From listening to people on their cell phones in public, I seriously doubt that your text or call can't wait until you get to where you are going.

You are probably unaware that tests have been done showing that drivers on the phone are more dangerous than drunk drivers. I don't know if the same has been done with texting yet but I'll bet it would show show it to be even worse.

I ride a bike but not in this country anymore thanks to all the idiots on the road. When a driver has an accident with a motorcycle, most of the time they say they didn't see the bike. Translation: I was not paying attention. Either that or we have a serious problem with vision in this country since Europeans don't seem to have any problems seeing them.

When you get in your car, drive. Nothing else.

The point I'm trying to make is, why was it a ban on texting and not someone putting make up on while driving, or eating while driving. Pretty soon, we won't be able to drive at all for fear of getting caught doing something against the law.

I agree with you. They should ban anything that has nothing to do with driving. And that includes hands-free phones. Of course, unless they actually ticket people, it will make no difference.

When you are driving, you should be driving ONLY. From listening to people on their cell phones in public, I seriously doubt that your text or call can't wait until you get to where you are going.

You are probably unaware that tests have been done showing that drivers on the phone are more dangerous than drunk drivers. I don't know if the same has been done with texting yet but I'll bet it would show show it to be even worse.

I ride a bike but not in this country anymore thanks to all the idiots on the road. When a driver has an accident with a motorcycle, most of the time they say they didn't see the bike. Translation: I was not paying attention. Either that or we have a serious problem with vision in this country since Europeans don't seem to have any problems seeing them.

When you get in your car, drive. Nothing else.

I continue to see things on the news about enforcing this new law. The biggest problem is the actual enforcing the law. If a cop stops you, are they going to ask for your phone to check? I don't think that would actually be legal. I do know, though, that when there is a crash, they are able to check your message and all phone records.

~Michael~

I think it's odd though that the government waited so long if it was so dangerous to them?

Is that a question?

"They" probably wanted to wait longer so they could do more studies, make some spreadsheets, have a few meetings, drink some coffee, etc.

When you're talking about the government (state, local, or federal - doesn't really matter), nothing happens fast.

Is that a question?

"They" probably wanted to wait longer so they could do more studies, make some spreadsheets, have a few meetings, drink some coffee, etc.

When you're talking about the government (state, local, or federal - doesn't really matter), nothing happens fast.

I don't think I meant to put a ? mark there

~Michael~

Yes I do text while driving. I also make phone calls too. I hate it that they have to punish everyone for the people who text and DO NOT PAY ATTENTION whatsoever.

Why does it have to be so dramatic?

Because people get that hurt.

This girl rear-ended my mother and myself while texting. We ended up sandwiched between her and another car.

So we're suing.

It's nice to see this being adopted nationwide. Sadly, it won't stop 99% of drivers who do it. My brother does it, and I literally cannot ride in a car with him because he rides about a half car length behind the guy in front of him and doesn't even look at the road, just texts... he steers with his knees. I can't be in a car with him. I always slam my imaginary passenger seat brake to the floor and he gets angry at me, but pay attention to the damn road guy.

2 great friends of mine were killed by an idiotic teen to busy texting rather than driving. Less than 10 secs she took her eye off the road. 2 deaths later. Not worth it! Dont be fu*kin stupid. There is a reason why theyre banning it. Texting whyll driving is banned in oregon and arizona as well, oregons got a zero tolerance about it.

I agree. Ban it in 50 states. And fine the idiots who choose to put everyone at risk.

~Michael~

Actually all the other examples you listed are also illegal, just not enforced to the extent they should be. If you were to get into an accident and told the cop you didn't see the little old lady in the crosswalk because you dropped your taco onto your open laptop while trying to read an e-mail, I'm sure you will be cited for "failure to use care while operating a motor vehicle" at the very least. If you think your rights are being infringed upon with this law, Check out the rules and regulations for commercial vehicles. These are federal rules that are adopted and enforced in every state. Much stricter than the regulations for passenger vehicles. I drove commercial vehicle for 25+ years and am now a fleet safety manager, so I know a thing or two about MV regulations. I've seen first hand, accidents occur, while people were doing everything from putting on make-up to reading books while driving. I fully support most regulations that will save someones life. Would you still feel the same way about this texting law if someone close to you, a family member, or a friend was killed in a crash caused by someone that was too busy texting to notice that thier traffic light turned red ? Too many lives have been lost due to neglegent driving already

And although these texting laws are state laws so to speak, they really aren't. They are more or less federal laws but states do not have to adopt and enforce them. The reason they do, is the money from the federal government that they recieve if they adopt the federal rules.

~Michael~

Actually all the other examples you listed are also illegal, just not enforced to the extent they should be. If you were to get into an accident and told the cop you didn't see the little old lady in the crosswalk because you dropped your taco onto your open laptop while trying to read an e-mail, I'm sure you will be cited for "failure to use care while operating a motor vehicle" at the very least. If you think your rights are being infringed upon with this law, Check out the rules and regulations for commercial vehicles. These are federal rules that are adopted and enforced in every state. Much stricter than the regulations for passenger vehicles. I drove commercial vehicle for 25+ years and am now a fleet safety manager, so I know a thing or two about MV regulations. I've seen first hand, accidents occur, while people were doing everything from putting on make-up to reading books while driving. I fully support most regulations that will save someones life. Would you still feel the same way about this texting law if someone close to you, a family member, or a friend was killed in a crash caused by someone that was too busy texting to notice that thier traffic light turned red ? Too many lives have been lost due to neglegent driving already

And although these texting laws are state laws so to speak, they really aren't. They are more or less federal laws but states do not have to adopt and enforce them. The reason they do, is the money from the federal government that they recieve if they adopt the federal rules.

Or "Driving while distracted."

That's how it should be, driving while distracted and just not only really "enforcing" the texting.

~Michael~

2 great friends of mine were killed by an idiotic teen to busy texting rather than driving. Less than 10 secs she took her eye off the road. 2 deaths later. Not worth it! Dont be fu*kin stupid. There is a reason why theyre banning it. Texting whyll driving is banned in oregon and arizona as well, oregons got a zero tolerance about it.

I agree. Ban it in 50 states. And fine the idiots who choose to put everyone at risk.

Couldn't agree more. Whats funny though is even though it's majorly enforced I still see five or six people everyday talking or texting on their phone while driving. There will always be those assholes that never obey it. :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back