"Nobody wants more pixels" (Thom Hogan)

gsgary said:
Mega pixels is just about the only way they can improve digital, it's starting to get very boring

YEAH...it has become boring. Like, the newest announced Canon Rebel models last month, and the newest 5D-series models...barely a flutter from the Canon crowd on the world wide web...same with the newest Nikon, the D7200...the newer models are really NOT creating much buzz. It's no longer an exciting, expanding, ever-upward era where each new generation generates huge waves of upgraders... this is like a new car model year with one extra cupholder wedged in somewhere.

Yup. Frankly I can't see how they can make a massive revolutionary change in photography. The only thing that can really change is the form factor.

All the specs will slowly get better and better. Photos will get sharper and "better" but really the medium limits the results.

My biggest camera-related problem is that my camera's menu system and structure has far too many menu sections, and too many options in each of four main segments. I counted the options last year...I believe the D3x offers 163 different options..too many items to be able to easily and efficiently make in-field changes of the kind I would like to be able to make, and make fast. My biggest issue is a camera that has a menu system that is poorly thought out and poorly implemented.

Consider the choices/controls we have while driving: accelerator pedal, brakes, gear box, steering wheel. Higher-end cameras from Nikon have become more complex than is optimal.

I do not need 163 options cluttering up the menu system.

Well, first I just want to point out I simply posted the initial posting because it was so funny and for some reason I wasnt expecting that twist at all. Maybe because I feel that with the now common 12+ Megapixels and ~ 14 EV DR and 5+ fps are sufficient for all my personal needs anyway, haha.

My most important issue ? None right now, the D750 solved all important photographic problems I had with the D600. Not perfectly - the AF field is still hella small. Still, I only just have to get it now.

I'd be willing to bet if Nikon had been the one to come out with this large MP body he'd be raving about how fantastic it was. But since it's Canon, it's a terrible idea.
... terrible idea ?

You might want to re-read:
[...] What are we getting from the camera makers? More pixels. Better dynamic range. More fps.

Now, that’s not terrible. [...]
NOT terrible !

All he says that these things (Megapixels, Dynamic Range, FPS) are not peoples biggest problem. Thats not the same thing as saying more Megapixels (or Dynamic Range, or FPS) would be a "terrible idea".

I dont think requesting that peoples biggest problems should be solved first is in any way unreasonable, is it ?

[...] I would want more of everything if I was buying a new camera [...]
Sure. But - more and more and more Megapixels ? I feel 12 Megapixels like the Sony A7s has them is really the limit I really want from a small format camera.

Above this more and more photography gets uncomfortable, because small errors from photographer or lenses turn up more and more easily, so you tend to need more and more discipline if you really want maximum possible resolution.

You also get more limited with what you are allowed to do, with 12 Megapixels theres no issue to shoot at f/11 and f/16 is still very fine and f/22 still isnt really bad just yet. With 24 Megapixels and worse 36 Megapixels and even worse 50 Megapixel even f/8 starts to be beyond the diffration limit already, which you barely hit with f/11 before, and above that it only gets worse and worse. Plus you have to be more and more picky about lenses to actually get this extra resolution. Quite frankly I feel a lot of glas really isnt up for more than 12 Megapixels anyway in the first place. Tolerances just arent tight enough. And Zeiss Otus are frankly mighty expensive and focusing them sounds like a real chore.

Thus I really feel I rather want better pixels, than more pixels.

My biggest camera-related problem is that my camera's menu system and structure has far too many menu sections, and too many options in each of four main segments. [...]
Better menus is certainly something almost everyone could and should work on. I love the user configurable submenu on my D600 though; I rarely need to leave them.

What especially annoys me is that every camea offers 2D controls, but option lists are still only 1D - you can only scroll up and down, instead of also left and right. Thats mighty slow compared to what would be possible. The only exception known to me is the quick menu of Fuji X.

(Technically also the Leica T has 2D controls, but that one only has a touchscreen anyway).

These days, all things considered, it's no real surprise most DSLR shooters aren't that interested in bigger images.

After editing 22 MP scans for a few years, then DSLRs' 6 MP and 12 MP, and now 16 MP Fujifilm images, I've found the smaller sizes sometimes limiting for really detailed editing. That would be my main reason for more megapixels. But beyond 20 or so would be pointless.

16 isn't that useful for cropping (I'm comfortably programmed for full 3:2 composition anyway!), but it does get me my favourite size of prints, 18x12.

It's a bit surprising dynamic range wasn't an issue. As technology moves on hopefully we'll be capturing more default tones. That will always be a plus, especially when processing for quality prints.

Most reactions

Back